FS Feeler: '88 GT 5-spd w/ 20k original miles by Z3SpdDmn
Started on: 02-11-2014 01:27 AM
Replies: 19 (1215 views)
Last post by: Songman on 09-24-2014 12:36 AM
Z3SpdDmn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI folks, I'm considering parting with my '88 GT 5-speed. It was my childhood dreamcar that I was lucky enough to find here locally in Cincinnati with only 16,000 miles on it. I quickly made it my own and have enjoyed the 4,000 miles I've put on it. The reality is that I have too many vehicles and can't commit the garage space and care to a car I drive so infrequently. So, I'm going to let it go to a new owner.

Details:
1988 GT V6 5-speed
20,000 original miles
Black / Tan cloth interior
Sunroof
Premium Sound

Upgrades (all original parts are included)
17" BBS LM replica wheels with 225/45/17 front / 235/45/17 rear Bridgestone RE-760 Sport tires.
The Fiero Store 1" drop springs with new KYB shocks/struts
The Fiero Store Polyurethane Swaybar Endlinks

I am offering the car at $14,000.

History:
The car sat in a climate-controlled environment since 1992. When it's owner passed, his sons recovered the car to sell it, along with the other 2 Fieros he had. They were very knowledgeable and got the car into proper running condition by draining the tank, cleaning the fuel system, replacing fuel, air, and oil filters, flushing fluids, and replacing the battery. They had the headliner professionally reupholstered and repainted the wing and rocker panels (one of them works at a high end custom body shop). The headlight motors were also replaced. I picked up the car in February 2011.

In my possession, I immediately changed the wheels/tires, suspension and flushed the coolant, engine, transmission, and brake fluids. In the winter of 2012, I changed the alternator and gas tank (rust in the old tank had loosened up). I attended the Fiero 30th Anniversary in Indianapolis this past summer and had a great time.

By my estimation, I think the car is worth about $14k to someone looking for a really good - driveable - example of the best of the factory Fieros.

Here are some pictures. I'll get some more recent ones when I go visit the car at its storage facility.

https://plus.google.com/pho...852842257?banner=pwa

https://lh6.googleuserconte...h577-no/IMG_9090.JPG
https://lh6.googleuserconte...h577-no/IMAG0207.jpg
https://lh5.googleuserconte...h577-no/IMAG0212.jpg
https://lh3.googleuserconte...h577-no/IMAG0213.jpg
https://lh6.googleuserconte...h577-no/IMAG0215.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts on the car or if anyone has any leads on someone who may be interested.
Thanks!
------------------
Anthony

'88 Fiero GT 5-spd "barn find"
2012 NASA SpecE30 National Champion
www.DriveFasterNow.com

[This message has been edited by Z3SpdDmn (edited 05-02-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well folks, I've become serious about selling my Fiero. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. And of course, please share with anyone you know who might be interested!

Thanks,

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should consider putting it in the Mecums auction, a similar car to yours only an automatic which is worth less was a no sale at Kansas City at $13000. I have to think yours would bring more but you could put a reserve on it.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you send it to Mecum it might be more desirable with the original factory rims on it.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 05-01-2014).]

Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

If you send it to Mecum it might be more desirable with the original factory rims on it.

Thanks for the thought. I do have the original wheels and tires. It would just ruin the look, but I kept all the stock pieces because I understand that originality may be more important to many people.

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

You should consider putting it in the Mecums auction, a similar car to yours only an automatic which is worth less was a no sale at Kansas City at $13000. I have to think yours would bring more but you could put a reserve on it.

Will put my worthless automatic against your play stick any day!!!
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

LOL. He had a space between "worth" and "less". Though some might consider an automatic to be worthless in a car meant for driving enjoyment, that wasn't what he was saying

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Z3SpdDmn:

LOL. He had a space between "worth" and "less". Though some might consider an automatic to be worthless in a car meant for driving enjoyment, that wasn't what he was saying

LOL My bad!

I need to wake up before posting on here!

Oh your car is nice by the way hope you can get your asking price!
BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlackThunderGT

2048 posts
Member since Apr 2009

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

Edit: My bad! I read auto's were worthless not what you said...
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why are Fiero automatics considered worth less now than when they were new?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't automatic transmissions more expensive to purchase than standard transmissions when Fiero's were sold new?
Is there not more maintenance and repairs involved with standard transmissions?
Also, wasn't there an issue with clutch pedals bending? Was that problem resolved by recall or is it still an issue?
I prefer the ease of driving and minimal maintenance of an automatic transmission.
The novelty of shifting gears wears off as one's years wear on (spoken by a senior pushing 70).

[This message has been edited by canfirst (edited 05-02-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think they are (worth less), because of the high rpms the engine turns at todays cruising speeds of 75 or 80 mph versus the 55 mph speed limit. Manual transmissions are extremely reliable if not abused. In a sports car a lot of people prefer a manual transmission. I will admit that I like driving our Mustang V6 automatic, but it is a 4 speed.
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think the autos are worth less. In fact, I think they are worth more. I was driving one Fiero in constant stop and go traffic so I bought an auto and loved every minute of it. The auto/manual debate has raged and will rage on and on over time just as the with and without wing and all the other little debates. All a matter of preference with no right or wrong.

Your black Fiero is stunning! Wish you were bringing it up for sale more towards November when I can buy another one. Perhaps you can post a price you would be happy accepting so folks know where you need to be with the sale.
jc8367

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Value/worth is seen differently by different people. If you're talking daily driver then yes automatic all the way , especially in high traffic areas, but for the weekenders like myself it has to be the stick. Just makes it more fun.

Again personal preference.

[This message has been edited by jc8367 (edited 05-02-2014).]

Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a little hidden in my post, but the asking price is $14k.

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

thebigarniedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thebigarniedogSend a Private Message to thebigarniedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canfirst:

Why are Fiero automatics considered worth less now than when they were new?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't automatic transmissions more expensive to purchase than standard transmissions when Fiero's were sold new?
Is there not more maintenance and repairs involved with standard transmissions?
Also, wasn't there an issue with clutch pedals bending? Was that problem resolved by recall or is it still an issue?
I prefer the ease of driving and minimal maintenance of an automatic transmission.
The novelty of shifting gears wears off as one's years wear on (spoken by a senior pushing 70).

They are worth less than a standard because: (1) Manual transmissions are less maintenance then automatics; (2) Manual transmissions will last longer then automatics; (3) Manual transmissions provide the driver more control over the car; (4) Manual transmissions use less fuel (allow for coasting in gear as just one example); (5) Manual transmissions have a built in theft deterrent, as most people in the US don't know how to drive one; and (6) Manual transmissions can be push started.

FWIW, my Fiero is an automatic. My tdi is a manual.

Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.
gmctyphoon1992

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Such low miles on that car! Kudos to you for enjoying it even with such little miles on such a good looking car. I would be scared to drive a fiero with that little miles on it

If a prestigious auction is your route I agree with rodney with putting the factory wheels on it. Even though it may look better with the wheels you have on it now with unrestored factory cars with low miles people are looking to have the original wheels or atleast the original wheels rolled out with the car for sale.

If your trying to sell it personally I really hope you get the price your asking for. It is well worth it, unfortunately Ive seen alot of fieros not selling right now. But who knows yours is different and RARE!

Anyways Friendly bump goodluck on the sale of the car I would take it off your hands if the money was there
ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The automatic in a Fiero is worth less because in a Fiero it highlights how pathetic the V-6 really is. With a manual at least you can get some control over the engine and place it easily in an RPM range that, if you're not paying close attention, feels like it has some power.

Having said that, it would not cause me the least hesitation in buying this car.
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My personal belief is that all sport cars should be manual
Nothing sadness me more then when I walk up to a Vette or Mustang and see that IT IS AN AUTO, I JUST WALK AWAY

But then I have seen some people driving a manual who have no business driving a stick, autos were made for them lol

Nice car, im sure someone will be very lucky do get it
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On one of my California Coast Runs a few years ago, a guy showed up in a black 88 GT T-top just like mine. His dad had bought the car new. So, I led the pack on the run. He lined up behind me, so we had both matching T-tops in front. When we got to our stopping place for lunch about 100 miles up the Pacific Coast Highway, he came to check out my car. He looked inside and said "wow! Your cars an automatic. I was having a hard time keeping up with you! I figured you had a 5-speed." I had a similar experience once on the Run For The Hills, being the only 4 cylinder in the bunch, in my 88 T-top coupe. I was holding my own all day long. The only time the V6s could pull away from me was when we got on a stretch of 4 lane. My current Fiero, my 50th, is an 88 GT 5-speed. And after 50 Fieros, I can tell you that there ain't that much difference in stock Fieros. It's all in what people like, and how they drive them.

And a bump for your sale thread.

------------------
12th Annual California Coast Run
October 17-19, 2014
http://www.californiacoastrun.com
1988 Fiero GT - Nashville, TN 37203

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors