Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  GROUP BUY: 84-87 13" Front Brake (C5 Corvette) Brackets (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
GROUP BUY: 84-87 13" Front Brake (C5 Corvette) Brackets by doublec4
Started on: 05-09-2013 08:44 PM
Replies: 74 (2738 views)
Last post by: Fiervette on 06-16-2014 11:38 AM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTguy:

I'll take a set with rings. Any plans for rear kits?

What's your Paypal e-mail?

Thanks,
Greg

No problem, you're on the list. I had all spots taken, but someone just dropped out.

No need for payment yet. I'll pm you when the brackets are ready

No plans to use the C5 rear brakes because they would throw the bias way off. They also have the ebrake function like a drum brake using the inside of the rear rotor which just over complicates things. You could use another set of front brakes on the rear, but of course you would lose your ebrake function. This is why I recommend the calipers from the Lebaron swaps (Cadillac) or the 12" C4 Corvette brakes with the ebrake.

IP: Logged
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a couple questions:

1. Any idea on the hat thickness of the Corvette rotor?
2. Any idea of the internal diameter of the hat? (As in, what is the final maximum OD of a Fiero rotor turned down in into a hub.)

Thanks!
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

Here's a couple questions:

1. Any idea on the hat thickness of the Corvette rotor?
2. Any idea of the internal diameter of the hat? (As in, what is the final maximum OD of a Fiero rotor turned down in into a hub.)

Thanks!

Here yougo a PFF member did this schematic

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

FieroNate

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroNateClick Here to visit FieroNate's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroNateEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very interested in these brackets but for a different caliper setup. Are the brackets heat treated after welding? Welding removes the material temper and to regain the full T6 heat treat strength properties would require heat treat.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroNate:

Very interested in these brackets but for a different caliper setup. Are the brackets heat treated after welding? Welding removes the material temper and to regain the full T6 heat treat strength properties would require heat treat.

This is a good point. I haven't had any problems with mine and I have done some heavy braking. They are quite thick at 7/8" around the weld areas. It is my understanding that it is the weld area that is mostly affected and that the temper naturally returns with aging. The brackets are by no means structurally dependent on the welds, they are just used to make the brackets one piece. If you are concerned, I can always provide you with brackets that are not welded and they would be fine to be used that way as well. Or you can have the welded ones heat treated.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2013 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picking up the waterjet cut parts tonight. Just got the call that they are complete. Will have them welded asap.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome - should coincide about perfectly with my front end rebuild - all new bushings, swaybar hardware, Koni reds, and some Kosei K1-TS with HTZ-IIIs. Glad I am not going to have to rehab the Grand Am brakes as an interim step!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should be ready by the end of the week, also got the concentric rings in for the rotors. Thanks!
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:

I put the SSBC's on the T-Top this summer,

If anyone is thinking of upgrading to full size Chev CK master the SSBC # A 0463 works very well !
oldrock2401

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldrock2401Send a Private Message to oldrock2401Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you decide to do a 2nd group buy, you can be sure too put me on the list...wish I would have seen this thread earlier
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brackets are ready!

I will be messaging everyone to get your addresses and payment.

Thanks!
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by oldrock2401:

When you decide to do a 2nd group buy, you can be sure too put me on the list...wish I would have seen this thread earlier

Will do!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2013 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shipping quotes have been sent out!
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
would you know if the 2k trans am calipers are the same as the vet? if so I'll likely want to get set of your adapters.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will measure my fbody brackets tomorrow if. doublc4 can compare that to the. c5 brackets

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

would you know if the 2k trans am calipers are the same as the vet? if so I'll likely want to get set of your adapters.

Quite certain they are. You just need to use the C5 abutment brackets, I think that's what the difference is.

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, forgot to leave feedback until now... I just took care of that. These things look great, dude.
ccrook19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccrook19Send a Private Message to ccrook19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Add me to the list as well, my project wont be done for another 6-10 months
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ccrook19:

Add me to the list as well, my project wont be done for another 6-10 months

I'll write your user name down and I'll likely do another run of these in the next month. PM me your email address so I can get a hold of you when I open the next group buy.

Thank you,

Chris
dinocaprio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dinocaprioSend a Private Message to dinocaprioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you have a set of the concentric rings made for me ? I can't seem to get a set.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dinocaprio:

Can you have a set of the concentric rings made for me ? I can't seem to get a set.

Yes I can, however, they will be plastic.

Do you need them for C5 rotors, or what application? Do you already have the brackets for the calipers?
PFF
System Bot
farming for fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for farming for fierosSend a Private Message to farming for fierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
let me know when second set is being made I would buy a set right away

thanks adam
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pm sent
Black Pegasus

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doublec4,

Same with me, I'd like to be part of the second group buy! Put my name on the list!

Fred

------------------
87 Pontiac Fiero GT

Black Pegasus

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black PegasusSend a Private Message to Black PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to make sure you saw my post!

Fred

------------------
87 Pontiac Fiero GT

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've written your username down On the list!
BobJones97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobJones97Send a Private Message to BobJones97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent. Thanks!
Gambit

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will there be a third round? Maybe also the rear brackets for the C5 calipers?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can do a third if there is sufficient interest.

I have the ability to make brackets for the C4 rear brakes with ebrake. I don't have the parts available to mock up a bracket to use C5 brakes on the rear though. You wouldn't want to use rear C5 brakes with these up front. The balance would be pretty far off in my opinion.

Let me know if you'd be in for sure for these and I can start up another group buy.

Thanks!
Gambit

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reasoni asked for the C5 rear brackets is because Westcoast Fiero has those also for the complete C5 upgrade and i just bought a set of four C5 calipers
Maybe i didn't gave it much thought.
Do you want to look in to that or am i the only one here
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gambit:
Do you want to look in to that or am i the only one here

I am also standing by with a C5 rear kit when available I have a proportioning module and new SS lines , bigger booster. hope Chris will make them..... want to buy a FR & RR kit from him
Danyel

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it's not that it can't be done. Anything can be made to work, however, I have a few issues with putting rear C5 brakes on the Fiero. First, as I mentioned, is the bias. Even with a proportioning valve, I feel like it's just acting as a band aid for a problem that you paid to create. If I design something, I want to design it so that it's improving your braking rather than making the car unstable and then paying more to have something fix that. Second, the type of ebrake the C5 uses in the rear is a drum style brake inside of the rear rotor. This just makes the whole system less than ideal to retrofit into the Fiero.

For the best balance, I would just use another set of front C5 brakes in the rear of the Fiero. Then, of course, you lose the ebrake. The C4 rear brakes with the regular cable style ebrake aren't bad for bias and can be adapted much easier. Plus they are still large at 12". I would recommend those, or go with the rear lebaron brake option but those are slightly smaller (11.25") so they may not have the visual impact that some people are looking for.

I can make the rear C4 brackets no problem if that works for anyone. If people don't care about losing the ebrake, I can gather up parts to make C5 fronts work in the rear which would give you 13" brakes all round.
Fiervette

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FiervetteSend a Private Message to FiervetteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chris -

Are you still making the C5 front brackets? When would some be available?

Do you still plan to make the C4 rear brackets? If so, availability & cost?

BTW, I installed your LED GT tail light kit about 2 days after I got it. Looks AWSOME! You da man!

James
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Fiervette,

Thanks for the compliments on the tail lights! If you have any pictures, feel free to send them to me!

I have a set of brake brackets here if you're interested, along with the C4 brackets for the rear. $185 for all four brackets + shipping.

Let me know! (pm me please)

Thanks!

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

Fiervette

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FiervetteSend a Private Message to FiervetteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 PMs sent.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock