Started on: 01-31-2013 12:19 PM
Replies: 204 (11619 views)
Last post by: FIEROFLYER on 04-29-2015 08:06 PM
Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

I now have a shifter to work with and have the select cable bracket already made. Hoping to get the rest done as soon as I get home as I am out of town for a close friend whose Mother passed away and was just buried this afternoon. Dan

Sorry to hear about your friend's mother.
IP: Logged
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, unfortunately cancer won out.
I am now back home and back to work, shipping out some finished pieces today and focusing on shifter brackets for the F23. Dan
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you, unfortunately cancer won out.
I am now back home and back to work, shipping out some finished pieces today and focusing on shifter brackets for the F23. Dan

Please let me know when it`s ready. Just waiting on kit to get going again on the swap.

Cheers!|
Eric
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!

[This message has been edited by Purple86GT (edited 06-07-2013).]

Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Purple86GT

1592 posts
Member since Mar 2012
Humm... I should of resized that picture. :/

But you get the idea.
Fiero_Guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_GuySend a Private Message to Fiero_GuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dan,
Sent you a PM buddy.
bcampbell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any news on shifter cable brackets?
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
he had told me that he had one made up, but was not satisfied with how sloppy it was. He was going to make a few changes to the design and incorporate some bushings i believe.

troy
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First bracket done just need to make a few more now. Dan
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sent you a PM..
88Formula3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88Formula3800Send a Private Message to 88Formula3800Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan, I have been in contact with a gentleman in MD named David who does not have access to these forums. He is interested in my built 3800SC Fiero project that I have to part with. I put a lot of time, and money, into the car, but I am 22 years old and will be father soon, so I am forced to downsize my toy collection, meaning projects first. I have had several long phone conversations with David and he sounds like a very enthusiastic person! I believe he told me he currently owns a variety of Fieros, 11 I think he said, (track cars, project cars, restored cars, etc) Along with many other projects and toys. He told me during our phone conversation tonight that he drove up to the Canadian border recently to drop off a Pontiac Transport van? that he wants you to put a G6 transmission with a 3800SC into it? Also he mentions that you requested him to purchase and bring you several other transmissions!
He said that he is some what skeptical, and looks at it as basically a 'testing the waters' kind of deal. If things work out between you and him he will purchase my 3800 Fiero and have it shipped directly from here in Georgia to Canada for you to complete! I would love to have you put my project back together, and for him to own the car. That way it will be put into a collection that gets the respect it deserves! I hope that everything works out, and would love to see some pictures of his "Dust Buster" I believe he called the van project. Best Regards, Chris
PFF
System Bot
85GT_3800SC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT_3800SCSend a Private Message to 85GT_3800SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dan! I'm interested in the wiring harness with reprogrammed PCM that you are offering. PM sent.
race9887

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for race9887Send a Private Message to race9887Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have a PM

------------------
Our projects

Fieros: 85 Coupe, parts car 86 SE(everything except automatic), 86 SE 3800 Series 2 conversion car.

Build Thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121858.html

Hidalgo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HidalgoSend a Private Message to HidalgoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan, I've been following your progress with getting your business off the ground, and I have to give you kudos for doing this. Selling complete swap kits that include mounts, brackets, a reprogrammed PCM, AND a harness for engines other than the 350 SBC is a great idea. The fact that you want to go beyond the 3800, and add the 3x00 engines and Ecotecs is even better. Your kits will take all the guesswork out of Fieros swaps (even though I suspect some of the swappers here actually enjoy that part, and see it as a challenge).

I have a question for you. I fully understand that you want to concentrate on the 3800, 60-degree 3x00s, and Ecotecs at first, because that's where the market is going for Fiero swaps. However, what is your policy for less conventional Fiero swaps involving older, less commonly swapped engines? I'm thinking mostly about the 4.9L Cadillac, the 3.4L Twin Dual Cam, Northstar, 3.5L Shortstar, the Quad 4, and the 2.4L Twin Cam LD9, but also about rarely swapped engines like the 2.0L OHC turbo LT3 from the Sunbird GT, and the McLaren 3.1L turbo. Would you only make a swap kit for engines like those after someone has ordered one from you for the first time? I spoke on the phone with Roger Thelin, who makes Ecotec mounts and brackets for Fieros in Florida, and he told me he could make mounts and brackets to swap anything into a Fiero, as long as the customer sent him his engine and/or transmission to work on. That customer would also have to understand that his order might take a bit more time, since the mounts and brackets would be designed from scratch, and those new mounts would then be reproduced for future orders. That got me to think that it would be neat to swap a Toyota/Yamaha 2ZZ-GE engine from a Pontiac Vibe GT (hey, technically, as long as it comes out of a Pontiac, it's still a Pontiac engine!) and its accompanying 6-speed manual into an 88 Fiero, to make a poor man's Lotus Elise.

Anyway, I'm getting beside my point here. In short, my question is, what is your policy and pricing for swaps other than 3800s, 3x00s, and Ecotecs?

[This message has been edited by Hidalgo (edited 05-24-2013).]

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless I get into major amounts of time doing odd ball swaps I see no reason to charge any more then the 3800 swaps.
As far as making kits for odd engines I would have to also have an engine/tranny to work with which does not necessarily have to be the customers as there is usually plenty of engines in wreckers that are no good to be had for cheap to use for moch ups to make harnesses and mounts from.
Biggest problems with most modern swaps is the electronics, if the PCM can be programmed then it is easy but for swaps where the PCM can not be altered the need to get fancy can slow things down quite a bit and in the end it is time spent that sets the cost of most things.
As for some engines like the DOHC 3.4 the injector wiring is pretty hard to remove with out dismantling the top half the engine so making a harness for this engine can be a pain. Dan
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assume the F23 brackets are a no go as I have not heard from you and you stopped replying to my PMs.

thanks anyways.

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have made two sets so far and in the process of trying to improve them in a car right now. To be honest I am not happy with them I do not like the feel of the shifts or the amount of play they add over the already not so good design that the Fiero came with.
I am thinking that the way I did before with using a longer shift cable is still the better way to go but that does not mean I have given up either. Dan
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FIEROFLYER

3974 posts
Member since Oct 2002
From what I have found this weekend making a shifter bracket with some kind of pivot to allow the use of stock cables leaves too much play in the shifting.
I had a customer bring me a Roger Thelin kit that requires a fair bit of work and even a little modifying to get to work but in the end has a much better shift action with no more play then the stock Fiero trannies.
I would recommend either going with Thelin's kit or just buy the longer shifter cables and go the route others have done on here with the shift cable wrapped around the tranny to line up with the shifter arm. The longer cable will run you around $100 and Rogers kit at least twice that and require some work to instal. Dan
Hidalgo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HidalgoSend a Private Message to HidalgoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Biggest problems with most modern swaps is the electronics, if the PCM can be programmed then it is easy but for swaps where the PCM can not be altered the need to get fancy can slow things down quite a bit and in the end it is time spent that sets the cost of most things. Dan

Do you reprogram the PCMs yourself or do you outsource that part of the swap to a firm like Overkill?

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do all my own programming. Dan
Hidalgo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HidalgoSend a Private Message to HidalgoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I do all my own programming. Dan

Wait a minute, are you saying that you can reprogram the stock PCM that comes with the last 3x00 "High Value" engines?
Around here I keep hearing that it can't be done!?!?
Or do you just tear out the stock PCM and replace it with a 7730 or a Megasquirt 3 that you programmed yourself?

[This message has been edited by Hidalgo (edited 05-29-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
bcampbell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hidalgo:

Wait a minute, are you saying that you can reprogram the stock PCM that comes with the last 3x00 "High Value" engines?
Around here I keep hearing that it can't be done!?!?
Or do you just tear out the stock PCM and replace it with a 7730 or a Megasquirt 3 that you programmed yourself?

The 3500 and 3900 VVT engines are supposed to be supported by HPTuners, but not the non-VVT LX9. So AFAIK, there is currently no way to even disable VATS in the LX9 PCM. Either use a 3400 PCM w/external trigger or just use a 7730. Either way is well documented.
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Dan,

I'm all set to order your mounts. Can you tell me how thick (what gauge of steel) is used to make the transmission and engine mounts?

Can you pm me your paypal account?

Thank you,
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All mounts are made out of 1/4 inch plate steel same as all alt and dog bone brackets. Dan
The_potatoking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2013 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_potatokingSend a Private Message to The_potatokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dan. I've been trying to get ahold of you for a week now about the progress on my harness?
stinky817

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2013 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stinky817Send a Private Message to stinky817Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sent a PM about mounts.

(if you don't see it, i sent it a couple days ago)
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2013 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
harness was shipped already, will check on it for you and did not receive a PM yet about mounts. Dan
stinky817

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2013 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stinky817Send a Private Message to stinky817Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok, just sent another one. hopefully this works. if not, i need both 4t65e early style mounts, and the engine mount for a 3800. the one that uses the stock fiero/rodney mounts.

and how much shipped to 17314?

Thanks.
Hidalgo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2013 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HidalgoSend a Private Message to HidalgoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bcampbell:

The 3500 and 3900 VVT engines are supposed to be supported by HPTuners, but not the non-VVT LX9. So AFAIK, there is currently no way to even disable VATS in the LX9 PCM. Either use a 3400 PCM w/external trigger or just use a 7730. Either way is well documented.

I also noticed that the Northstar, Aurora, and Shortstar engines are absent from HPTuners' list of applications. What do Fiero owners do about the PCM when they swap those engines into their Fieros? Megasquirt 3?

[This message has been edited by Hidalgo (edited 05-31-2013).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2013 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my car back today from the F23 swap and it's a night and day difference. So much smoother and Dan did a great job with it. Just wanted to post a public thank you!

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2013 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not going to be taking any more orders for a bit, I have been over doing it and pissed off my back and shoulder again so for a few days I will be just getting caught up. Plus I foolishly sent two packages to the wrong people which I still can't believe I did and need to correct that ASAP. I am taking it as a sign that I am over doing it to the point I need to slow down a bit.
From this point on I am getting my Girlfriend to take care of the shipping portion of the business so I do not mess up any more on that.
My sincerest apologies to the two, this is unacceptable and I need to make sure it does not happen again. Dan
PFF
System Bot
Hidalgo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HidalgoSend a Private Message to HidalgoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! I didn't know there was enough work in the field of Fieros to keep someone that busy. On one hand, you have my sincerest wishes to get well soon. And on the other hand, you have my congratulations and admiration for turning your passion for this car into a business that was successful enough to get you a work-related injury. Prompt rétablissement! (Get well soon!)
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hidalgo:

Wow! I didn't know there was enough work in the field of Fieros to keep someone that busy. On one hand, you have my sincerest wishes to get well soon. And on the other hand, you have my congratulations and admiration for turning your passion for this car into a business that was successful enough to get you a work-related injury. Prompt rétablissement! (Get well soon!)

Yeah... you can't see the PMs that fly around in addition to thread traffic.
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I pulled the trigger and got the parts needed to swap my F23 and L32 from Dan. Lokking forward to leaving a positive review once they are in!

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2013 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hope you're feeling better. My Mounts ?
The_potatoking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_potatokingSend a Private Message to The_potatokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm assuming mine is one of the wrong ones shipped to the wrong address. I've been sending you pm's about my harness. I'm sure If you told these people abou the shipping mixup they would understand. I was pretty worried about this and was contemplating a PayPal dispute because I haven't heard from you at all after a month. Hopefully your injuries subside and it all works out for you.
Hidalgo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HidalgoSend a Private Message to HidalgoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent, just looking for an update on my order. cheers!
The_potatoking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_potatokingSend a Private Message to The_potatokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"My sincerest apologies to the two, this is unacceptable and I need to make sure it does not happen again. Dan"

Unfortunately I wish you would have told me that instead of leaving me in the dark. I sent you my 400 may 7th. This is rediculous I could understand an injury stopping you from completing work. But i am left guessing if i am one of the shipping mix ups. But I have not had any contact with you and I have sent you 11 Pm's with no response. The only way to seem to get your attention I posting on this thread. I am requesting my money back. I have tried to be reasonable. Given your injury. But am completely offended at the lack of communication.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All you have to do is to comment on his sloppy work in any other thread, and he will reply in 30 seconds! Funny how the "injury" doesn't prevent him from replying in my thread.. A guy I served with a long time ago lost his left leg below the knee in Afghanistan.. yet he has no problem replying to messages.

Just one week ago Fieroflyer's agonizing injuries that he suffered while making a wiring harness didn't prevent him from sending me a PM trying to pick a fight. You know... like we used to do in elementary school?

I am too injured to reply to my customers whose money I have taken, but i still want to up and get into a fight.. LOL

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock