Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  fieroguru 13" Brake Upgrade for 88 Fieros - available Jan 15th, 2012 (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
fieroguru 13" Brake Upgrade for 88 Fieros - available Jan 15th, 2012 by fieroguru
Started on: 12-27-2011 07:41 PM
Replies: 258 (13066 views)
Last post by: ChanningB on 06-10-2020 02:58 PM
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2011 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My goal in developing this kit was a clean sheet approach to find the best fitting rotor for the 88’s that will maximize braking force by increasing the diameter of the rotor while keeping the rest of the brake system stock to ensure proper brake bias and parking brake function. You can read more about the development of this kit in late 2011 here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087368.html

The rotors used in this kit are from the GM Lambda platform (4 rear rotors):
2007-2010 Saturn Outlook
2007-2016 GMC Acadia
2008-2016 Buick Enclave
2009-2016 Chevy Traverse

Some of the key benefits of this kit are:
• Use of stock calipers and parking brake cables keeps cost to a minimum.
• Stock brake bias and parking brake function retained.
• 25% increase in brake rotor diameter for improved visual impact behind 17+” wheels vs. 15% with the 12" C4 setup.
• 33% increase in brake system mechanical advantage due to caliper being further from wheel center vs. 21% with the 12" C4 setup.
• 19% increase in rotor/pad surface area to reduce potential for brake fade vs. 12% with the 12" C4 setup.
• Available in Drilled/Slotted w/Zinc coating to minimize additional weight and improve appearance.
• No interference issues between the rotor/caliper and the front suspension a-arms when used with stock ball joints. NOTE: I do not recommend this kit if you have Rodney's lowering balljoints installed - they cause lower A-arm to rotor interference issues
• Lowest price of any 13” brake kit on the market today.

The downsides of this kit are:
• Weight – this kit will add about 6.5 lbs per wheel over the stock 88 rotor.
• Wheel requirement – this kit requires 17+ wheels
• Cost - this kit is slightly more expensive than the C4 12” rotor upgrade that has been the brake upgrade standard on the 88’s for many years.

The Kit consists of the following parts (shipped in 2 boxes):
• 4 - 13” rotors drilled to the 5x100mm pattern
• 4 – steel caliper brackets to relocate the stock brake calipers, painted semi-gloss black
• 4 – plastic expandable concentric rings
• 8 - grade 10.9 M12 bolts
• 1 – strip of sand paper
• 1 – aluminum brake cable sleeve extension
• 1 – steel brake cable end coupler, painted semi-gloss black

Pricing Summary: All prices shipped for US and Canadian addresses unless noted.

Hardware Kit Only – full car:...................$450
Full Kit with Drilled/Slotted/Zinc Rotors:....$775 (+$200 to Canada)

*** NOTE: My rotor supplier changes patterns rather frequently, so I can’t guarantee the exact drilled/slotted pattern you will receive unless I have rotors in stock. I will guarantee that all 4 rotors in your kit will be a matched set.

You can drill the rotors for the 5x100 pattern with a 1/2" drill bit and an old wheel bearing with the instructions in this thread:
https://web.archive.org/web...um2/HTML/120346.html

Inventory:
I purchase my brackets/ring is quantities of 100 and order the next batch when I get down to 5 full car sets, so I will always have the Hardware and Hardware kits ready to ship.
Rotors will not normally be stocked and ordered as payment is received for the brake kit. It normally takes 2-4 days for the rotors to arrive and 1 day turn around for the drilling and packaging.

Payment:
Payment in full is due at time of order. Your rotors will be ordered the same day and your kit should ship about 5-7 business days from time of order. Payment can be via paypal, postal money order, check (shipment delayed for clearance), or cash. If interested in ordering, please PM me for details.

Here are a few pics to show the drastic change in visual impact of this rotor kit.
Stock size rotor setup:

Caliper bracket and concentric ring installed:

New 13" rotor installed:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-22-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2011 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very Nice! I tip my hat to you Guru for creating and offering this. Looks to be an excellent package!
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what size wheel will be needed to showcase this awesome kit?
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2011 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtxbullet:

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The downsides of this kit are:
• Wheel requirement – this kit requires 17+ wheels

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2011 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtxbullet:

Mattwa is correct - 17 inch wheels or larger are needed for this kit.

For those interested in the hardware kit, but concerned about having the drill the rotors, I will have a writeup this evening on how this can be done at home with a junk wheel bearing and a 1/2" drill bit.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 12-28-2011).]

motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2011 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
guru, you have a pm.

Joe
hyphynator1984

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2011 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyphynator1984Send a Private Message to hyphynator1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
will this kit fit a 84 fiero??

fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2011 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another great product!!!
I currently have the 12 in installed on my 88 and the diffrence is night and day.I can only image waht this kit would do.
How much for just the brackets/ hardware. Thanks
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How to drill rotors for the 5x100mm at home:

The concentric rings will precisely located the rotor, so the pattern you need to drill in the rotors only has to allow the wheel studs to pass through. It doesn't have to be super precise and using a simple drill guide will allow you do accomplish this task with common tools.

Take a junk rear wheel bearing:

Clamp it in a vice by the bearing housing, use a 13/16" deep well socket against the internal splines and hammer until it comes apart:

Take the wheel flange and an 18mm socket and clamp it in the vice as shown to press out all 5 wheel studs:

Use a wire brush to clean up the wheel flange and hub:

Slide one of the concentric rings from your brake kit onto the wheel flange:

Find a large bolt and washer to allow clamping the wheel flange to the rotor. At the bottom you can use a flat bar vs. the large thick washer I have shown.

Align the open U to the recessed hole in the rotor and tighten the bolt to hold it in place (you do not want it to move while drilling):

Find a 1/2" drill bit - a pilot point one will allow drilling the hole in a single pass (the one shown is a Dewalt Cobalt with 3/8" shank and pilot point and is available at Lowes).

Use a drill press or in a pinch a hand drill will work. Drill down through the wheel flange (the splined wheel stud holes are just slightly smaller than 1/2" so you will remove some material from the wheel flange) and through the rotor. Repeat for all holes and repeat for all rotors.

Something to keep in mind is whatever you bolt across the bottom to hold the wheel flange in place will probably be drilled as well. The setup I use has pressed in tight fitting washers for the bolt, a tapered head on the bolt to precisely center the large washer (brake lathe part) and I turned down the large washer so that it just clears the edge of the bolt holes:

That's all it takes.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2011 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

12128 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Originally posted by hyphynator1984:
will this kit fit a 84 fiero??

Sorry... it only fits 88's. I am also working on an 84-87 solid rotor upgrade (12 3/4") here, but it isn't nearly as far along:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087538.html

Originally posted by fierofan25:
How much for just the brackets/ hardware

$350 shipped.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for a great product.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am around 1/2 way to completing the rest of the hardware (besides the rings/brackets) to have 25 sets ready for the 15th.

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump - 13 days before this kit officially goes on sale.

Please feel free to PM any questions, concerns or interest in the kit.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 01-01-2012).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased one of the first kits and it was delivered yesterday. The kit is top notch. Everything is very well built and very professional. I can't wait to install them!

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is awesome! Can't wait to see a few installed and hear how great they are!
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2012 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2012 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The balance of the bolts and aluminum for the cable spacers showed up today.

The guy who wanted finished kit #5 hasn't responded by the deadline, so up for grabs is this kit ready to ship. If you want it, have $$$ ready to spend ($640 shipped), and are in the lower 48 states, send me a PM.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2012 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!

The last of the initial 5 sets has been sold.

Little more than 1 week until the next 25 go on sale! I should have all the cable sleeves, couplers, bolts & sand paper ready for these 25 kits this weekend. Then it is just a matter of the brackets and rings arriving from their suppliers.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 01-07-2012).]

Kune

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2012 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KuneClick Here to visit Kune's HomePageSend a Private Message to KuneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent!
I want a type3 for my Fiero!
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2012 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kune:

PM sent!
I want a type3 for my Fiero!

PM Recieved... these will be on sale shortly.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2012 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

12128 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Been making progress on having everything hardware related for the first 25 kits in stock by the time they officially go on sale. Cable spacers, sand paper and bolts are complete. Have 10 completed cable couplers and 20+ more in the welding stage... just need to get more welding gas.

I am going to call up my vendors this week for the brackets and rings to get an ETA for those parts.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2012 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

This is awesome! Can't wait to see a few installed and hear how great they are!

I wish I had seen this post. You could have driven my car while you were here. (I'm really pleased with mine.)

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2012 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The brackets are done and should ship out today.
The rings look to be delayed slightly (haven't shipped & expected delivery Jan 20th - 25th), so I went ahead and ordered 5 sets from another vendor to see if I can get them sooner (this is the same vendor I ordered 2 from earlier and they were here in under 1 week).

Finished the welding and turning for the couplers last night. Tonight I should finish them. These couplers are quite labor intensive, so I made as many as my material would allow, so after this batch, I will have 32 of these in stock.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2012 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a pretty impressive stack of brackets! Some how the 100 brackets for a full 25 sets turned into 99, so one stack only has 3. No biggie, I will keep 1 for mockup purposes and can use the other 2 for a 1/2 set to someone. Now I just need the rings...

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2012 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The rings look to be delayed slightly (haven't shipped & expected delivery Jan 20th - 25th), so I went ahead and ordered 5 sets from another vendor to see if I can get them sooner

The 5 sets of rings I ordered from the 2nd vendor have shipped and Fed Ex should be delivering them to me on the 14th! So I should have everything for the first 5 kits by the initial launch. Even though it will cost more, I cancelled the 25 ring sets from the first vendor and ordered the remaining 20 from the one that can get then quicker.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 01-12-2012).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2012 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A thing of beauty!!!
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am done making all the parking brake hardware for the first 25 kits. The first 5 sets of rings were delayed today due to weather, so they are now scheduled to arrive on1/17 and the other 20 sets on 1/19. Also ordered 2 full sets of the blingy style 3 rotors and they should be here mid next week as well.

They are almost ready...
avidflyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avidflyrSend a Private Message to avidflyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can count on me for your 13" Vett upgrade kit.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2012 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avidflyr:

You can count on me for your 13" Vett upgrade kit.

I sent you a PM.

BTW, this is not a Vette kit, my rotors do not come from a Corvette, or a Viper, or a WRX, or any of the common applications that have been discussed or done before.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2012 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2012 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first 5 sets of rings arrived today! I started the minimal work to them for use in the kit and have 1 set complete and the other 4 will be done on Tuesday.

So with that, I am ready to start taking orders and payment for these first 5 kits!

Payment in full is due at time of ordering and I will place the order for your rotors the same day. The kit will ship about 7 days from time of order, or possibly sooner if I happen to have your rotor style in stock. I have already placed orders for 2 full sets of style 3 rotors (the blingy ones with 2 rows of holes per 1 slot) and those should be here in a day or two.

For orders, please PM your request and I will let you know how to pay.

For those people interested in only hardware kits, please let me know as well. Depending on how many full kits I sell and the # interested in hardware only kits, I might lower the needed # to sell the hardware only.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2012 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ring for the first 5 sets are done. Also, the 2 full sets of style 3 (blingy) rotors arrived today and have been drilled. So I have 2 full sets in stock and ready to ship!

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2012 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last 20 sets of rings arrived today!
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2012 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump - 2 full kits with style 3 rotors in stock and ready to ship.
701GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2012 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 701GTSend a Private Message to 701GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
soon as i get to the brakes on my build ill be ordering a set, no need to upgrade brakes if the car has no engine yet
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2012 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2012 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am please to announce that I have sold enough full kits to start offering hardware only kits for $350 shipped to US & Canada. The hardware only kit has everything but the rotors, and here is a sample pic:

If you order 2 or more hardware kits at the same time, I will discount the price to $300 shipped.

A full set of drilled/slotted/Zinc coated rotors costs just under $250 shipped (either Style 2 or Style 3). The plain rotors (no holes, slots or zinc coated) are just under $160 shipped. I will share the application and vendor for the style rotor you want, once you have purchased a hardware kit.

Drilling the rotors to the 5x100 pattern can be done with a 1/2" drill bit and an old rear wheel bearing flange as shown here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120346.html
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2012 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2012 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!

I will even entertain trades for the hardware kits...
Not sure what I need... 88 Fiero parts, metal fabrication/machining tools, F40 transmission/parts or LS engines (even the truck motors). PM me with any offers.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock