Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  HHP Adjustable Sway Bars Now Available for the 1988 Suspension (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars Now Available for the 1988 Suspension by R Runner
Started on: 07-21-2008 11:28 PM
Replies: 96 (7126 views)
Last post by: oldrock2401 on 05-20-2023 10:13 AM
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2009 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nebiros88:

I'm pretty sure he still sells the 84-87 front or rear bar kits.

See his thread here
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

You are correct sir. Thank you.
IP: Logged
FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2009 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EMX5636

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EMX5636Send a Private Message to EMX5636Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the instructions that you had sent me when you were "prototyping" the sets a year or so ago. I wanted to see any pics of the routing of the bars, and ends. That'll help me find out if they'll fit with my current suspension setup. Thanks!

-my email is correct. jwarren269@yahoo.com

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula 4-spd- 3400sfi intercooled turbo Haltech ECU. Here comes 350+whp
1991 Galant VR4 - Summit White 2.3L, SCM61 powered Slammed Sedan
1990 Eclipse GSX - parted out
1992 S10 4x4 - lowered, bike/quad hauler, dd
1995 Kawi Ninja zx7r
2004 Honda TRX450R #33W MX

1987 Yamaha Warrior - for sale

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by EMX5636:

I have the instructions that you had sent me when you were "prototyping" the sets a year or so ago. I wanted to see any pics of the routing of the bars, and ends. That'll help me find out if they'll fit with my current suspension setup. Thanks!

-my email is correct. jwarren269@yahoo.com

If you have those, then you have something that is close enough for routing. The updated instructions are not that much different. You may have the latest version anyway. I have not updated it in a while.
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump to the top to save to fav. I will be getting a set from you once things improve around here.
Nice job on these
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Sir and thanks for the bump.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

Thank you Sir and thanks for the bump.

your welcome! PM sent your way, I got some money sooner than I thought
well, after this PM I should say had. LOL

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just installed the bars last night, nice product
very well thoughtout and easy to install once you get the old bars out of the way
thanks again for everything.
D.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you very much Dean. I am glad you like them. Wait 'till you drive them.
CDubbz88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2009 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CDubbz88GTSend a Private Message to CDubbz88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for a great product
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone done a mixed set up yet, using 88 cradle on 84-87 car ?
PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:

Has anyone done a mixed set up yet, using 88 cradle on 84-87 car ?

Sorry.... I must hae missed this one. The post is over 1 month old! My bad.

rourke_87_T-Top.......

I hae not had a customer do this yet. I have done the calculations and it seems like it would be a real sweet setup, but again, not yet.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2009 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These kits are still available for those who are interested.

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2009 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An 88 GT is next on my list. I might give you a shout then.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2009 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in getting more information about your '88 front bar. I'm building an '88 with Held Motorsports 6" track width increase (3" per side) front and rear. Since I'm planning to use the car strictly on the street, I'm using the stock rear sway bar on upper knuckle adapters, but I've found nothing so far to allow me to install a front swaybar. On the front, I also have Held's 1.5" drop spindles. It looks pretty straight forward with your design to be able to offer a sway bar for any track width. (I understand the longer the bar, the lower the spring rate for otherwise similar bars, so I also understand that your graphs below won't reflect the exact performance of a custom length bar, but that's OK). I would be interested in knowing whether you can offer a longer bar, whether you think the drop spindles will interfere, and whether you believe the adjustability of your current sway bar ends is sufficient to accommodate a balanced car given that the stock rear bar's effectiveness is somewhat reduced due to the longer rear control arms leverage. Of course, I'd like to know what the additional cost for a longer bar would be as well.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2010 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I'm interested in getting more information about your '88 front bar. I'm building an '88 with Held Motorsports 6" track width increase (3" per side) front and rear. Since I'm planning to use the car strictly on the street, I'm using the stock rear sway bar on upper knuckle adapters, but I've found nothing so far to allow me to install a front swaybar. On the front, I also have Held's 1.5" drop spindles. It looks pretty straight forward with your design to be able to offer a sway bar for any track width. (I understand the longer the bar, the lower the spring rate for otherwise similar bars, so I also understand that your graphs below won't reflect the exact performance of a custom length bar, but that's OK). I would be interested in knowing whether you can offer a longer bar, whether you think the drop spindles will interfere, and whether you believe the adjustability of your current sway bar ends is sufficient to accommodate a balanced car given that the stock rear bar's effectiveness is somewhat reduced due to the longer rear control arms leverage. Of course, I'd like to know what the additional cost for a longer bar would be as well.

Dave.... thanks for the PM Lots of good questions.

Longer bar - You are correct in your assumption that the bar can be made longer and the spring rate change that will result. Currently my front bar for the '88 is 37.5" long. I believe that I can get a 43.5" bar made but the maximum "non-custom" (ie no additional charge) is 42". Therefore if I can have one made there will be an additonal charge of $46. I am 95% confident that this is possible.
Drop spindles - Does the drop spindle work with a stock sway bar? Also, if you send me an email address, I will be happy to send you a full installation procedure so you can evaluate the potential fit concerns. I have never installed one of the held suspensions before, but I have had customers with them. As I recall, the end links need to be changed. Also it is worth noteing the size and rim offset. Sometimes turning the wheels to the lock and cause an interference.
Car balance - That is a tough one. With the additional swing arm distance added to your rear while maintaining the same swaybar, you have (and you mentioned it) effectively decreased the ability of your sway bar to counter act the input at the wheel. To get a rough idea of how much you changed it, picture the lower swing arm that extends cross car from the cradle. Measure the distance from the piviot point to the applied force (for this case you can use the outer arm piviot point) and from the piviot point to the center of the tire in the stock position. Next determine a ratio:

(Length of cross car lower arm) / (Piviot on cradle to center of force from the tire in the STOCK location ) = Ratio 1
(Length of cross car lower arm) / (Piviot on cradle to center of force from the tire in the NEW location ) = Ratio 2
Ratio 1 / Ratio 2 = The factor you have decreased your sway bar rate.
Please note that these are approximations.

The rear of the '88 only had an 85 lb @ 5 degrees of twist capibility anyway. So I figure you will be in the 60 lb range. That is pretty light. Any bar I offer up front will most likely be in the 100 lb to 140 lb range (nominal). The adjustment of the front bar is minimal compared to the adjustment of the rear bar I offer for the '88. So..... Although I am not certain about the outcome, I believe that the front bar will still over power the rear causing the car to push and the adjustment in my front kit will not be enough to compensate for the difference.

I hope that answers your questions.
Steve25

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have pix of a rear bar installed?

If a pre 88 rear bar would look similar that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Steve

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT\3800 SC\4T65E-HD

88 Racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2010 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 RacerSend a Private Message to 88 RacerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I race an 88 SE at Road Atlanta, and I installed a set last spring. They are fantastic. I was able to take 8 seconds off my lap time the first day. The race car is lowered, and fitted with coil-over Konis on all four corners. At R.A. turn 12 follows a blind up hill turn at the top. Into a down hill kink entering turn 12. Prior to installing HPP sway bars I had to brake before actually entering turn 12. After installing and tuning the competition bars I now put the peddle on the floor at the top of the hill and leave it there until entering turn 1.

The car does a beautiful four wheel slide going through 12. Drifting out to the edge of the track then catching as I slowly unload the steering

The difference is like night and day.

Chuck
88 Racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2010 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 RacerSend a Private Message to 88 RacerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88 Racer

16 posts
Member since Dec 2009
I race an 88 SE at Road Atlanta, and I installed a set last spring. They are fantastic. I was able to take 8 seconds off my lap time the first day. The race car is lowered, and fitted with coil-over Konis on all four corners. At R.A. turn 12 follows a blind up hill turn at the top. Into a down hill kink entering turn 12. Prior to installing HPP sway bars I had to brake before actually entering turn 12. After installing and tuning the competition bars I now put the peddle on the floor at the top of the hill and leave it there until entering turn 1.

The car does a beautiful four wheel slide going through 12. Drifting out to the edge of the track then catching as I slowly unload the steering wheel.

Chuck
joeformula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joeformula88Click Here to visit joeformula88's HomePageSend a Private Message to joeformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88 Racer:

I'm very interested in a set and already hooked up with Paul.
Can you share if you encountered any clearance issues, both front and back, since you lowered your suspension?
Thanks!
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88 Racer:

The car does a beautiful four wheel slide going through 12. Drifting out to the edge of the track then catching as I slowly unload the steering wheel.

Chuck

Woodstock????????????????????
I am in Woodstock as well give me a call sometime I would love to see your car.

I also have the HHP sway bars on my 88 GT and it is lowered as well. I have no problems with any clearance at all.
Paul makes one of the best parts you can buy for a fiero.
D.

PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 1 month bump......
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

R Runner

3678 posts
Member since Feb 2003
bump
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2010 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for a great guy and product.
Paul, I sent you a PM.
D.
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock
white 88 notchie, 4 banger

msweldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for what looks to be a great product.

I've got an 86GT with an 88 cradle under prep to go in so I may be the first to try out the bars with an 84-87 front and 88 rear...

88racer, I've ran Road Atlanta several times while attending the Panoz racing shool so I know exactly where on the track you are refering to. What was your sway bar setup prior to installing the HHP bars? Had you already added a rear bar such as an addco or were you running with the stock front bar with none in the back?
AnimalGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AnimalGTSend a Private Message to AnimalGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
R Runner- PM sent.
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2010 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry.... I have not checked the thread in a while. Thanks for the comments. I have responded to all PMs.
joeformula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joeformula88Click Here to visit joeformula88's HomePageSend a Private Message to joeformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKVHN3-tNys

I let a professional driver judge the setup and he was very impressed: The car is very neutral, while both understeer and oversteer can be generated in different types of corners. Only lacking some horse power (170-180 plus NOS which I did not use on the track) but the car is capable of about 270-280 hp's according to the professional driver. Of course also brakes have to be done at that time: the front was smoking by the end of three laps!
Anyway, very satisfied with your bars: thanks again!
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joeformula88:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKVHN3-tNys

I let a professional driver judge the setup and he was very impressed: The car is very neutral, while both understeer and oversteer can be generated in different types of corners. Only lacking some horse power (170-180 plus NOS which I did not use on the track) but the car is capable of about 270-280 hp's according to the professional driver. Of course also brakes have to be done at that time: the front was smoking by the end of three laps!
Anyway, very satisfied with your bars: thanks again!

Thank you for posting this Joe! I'm very happy you are enjoying your bars.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msweldon:

Bump for what looks to be a great product.

I've got an 86GT with an 88 cradle under prep to go in so I may be the first to try out the bars with an 84-87 front and 88 rear...

88racer, I've ran Road Atlanta several times while attending the Panoz racing shool so I know exactly where on the track you are refering to. What was your sway bar setup prior to installing the HHP bars? Had you already added a rear bar such as an addco or were you running with the stock front bar with none in the back?

Marc, I know this is probably too little, too late, but I understand that the car in question is a Formula, so it's likely that it had the stock rear bar (as 88 GTs and Formulas do) before the HHPs.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-03-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice video~ that looks like a lot of fun. I hope to have some real soon with the HHP's installed on an 87'.

Your 2.8 runs nice.. certainly sounded a lot healthier than the one I removed for my swap.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are these still available at this moment? Do you foresee there availability into this spring?
(looking for 88 rear and 84-97 front)
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2012 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just installed my new swaybars last night. Very good product, I am very pleased!

I used his 84-87 front swaybar and an 88 rear swaybar on my cradle swap. Both using the intermediate bar. Still need to get everything dialed in but I am very impressed by these bars. Very nice parts

Thanks for supporting our little community!
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone,

Unfortunately due to material cost increases and other fees imposed, I have had to raise the price of the kits. I held them down as long as I could.

I am making the same post for the other model year kits as well.

I am really glad that you guys are enjoying them. Thank you for the feedback.

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

Randy93552

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Randy93552Send a Private Message to Randy93552Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pardon my not knowing, but I think the sway bar is the main difference between the 88 coupe and the 88 formula. I have an 88 formula that I love, and an 88 coupe I am swapping a 3800 sc into. Will these sway bars make the coupe drive as well as or better than my formula?
Celthora87GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2012 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump.
With these work with FUIEROGURU's lateral link relocation kit?

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/060635.html

[This message has been edited by Celthora87GT (edited 10-01-2012).]

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Randy93552:

Pardon my not knowing, but I think the sway bar is the main difference between the 88 coupe and the 88 formula. I have an 88 formula that I love, and an 88 coupe I am swapping a 3800 sc into. Will these sway bars make the coupe drive as well as or better than my formula?

The only significant difference between the 88 coupe and 88 Formula is that the Formula has a rear swaybar and the coupe does not.

The swaybars Paul offers are stiffer than the stock swaybars on the Formula.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Celthora87GT:

bump.
With these work with FUIEROGURU's lateral link relocation kit?

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/060635.html

I don't see any reason why the lateral link relocation kit would interfere with the swaybar. It only lowers the outer pivot of the links, and the swaybar connects to the strut mount, not the links.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a pm!

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project, Super Duty 4 swap

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors