Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  And now for something completely different (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
And now for something completely different by artworks
Started on: 03-26-2012 08:23 AM
Replies: 204 (25346 views)
Last post by: Will on 09-10-2023 09:27 PM
artworks

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Progress! Did I mention that I don't like doing fiberglass? Since I'm trying to make a "compliment" to the Solstice, I thought a similar grille was proper.

I still have some work to do on the backside, and need to build the grille insert (honeycomb aluminum from Grainger).

[This message has been edited by artworks (edited 07-15-2017).]

IP: Logged
Fierostarvin

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might not like fiberglassing but it looks like you do a good job. Is that the Caddy cradle? It looks massive. p.s. good sticker in the back window
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2012 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a picture of the Northstar in its cradle. This is the stock Cadillac cradle that's been modified to bolt into the Fiero frame. There are four connection points between the cradle and the frame - leaf spring bushings are used for the connections. My friend Gary is the genius behind the fabrication.

I'm going to keep that back window just like it is - this car has a history worth keeping.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slow but steady progress. I found headlight buckets and trim bezels on e-bay, and side marker lights. Also, building the steel reinforcements I am glassing into the hood - the plastic is just a little too floppy for my tastes. Pics to follow.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010

Test fitting the hood with the new grille cutout

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010

The steel reinforcement in place and getting glassed in. It's 1x1 square tube welded together. There's a 1/8" plate in either side of the grille to bolt on the nerf bar.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could use a little help. I'm looking for turn signals for those two smal circles on the nose - the holes are 3.5" diameter. I'm thinking something with a clear lens and amber bulb. I've been searching e-bay and there's a huge assortment to choose from. Ideally, I'd like a glass lens, something old school. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I have another option. http://www.ebay.com/itm/180...id=p3984.m1423.l2649 shows some 7" headlamp bulbs with integrated directional signals. I'm thinking that I could use these lamps for both headlights and directionals, then install running lights in the two 3.5" holes that were intended for directional signals.
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by artworks:

Okay, I have another option. http://www.ebay.com/itm/180...id=p3984.m1423.l2649 shows some 7" headlamp bulbs with integrated directional signals. I'm thinking that I could use these lamps for both headlights and directionals, then install running lights in the two 3.5" holes that were intended for directional signals.

Great idea. This will give a clean look.

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 |Work done 11-12 |Work done 12-13 |4.9 Swap |Parts for sale

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2012 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I could use a little help. I'm looking for turn signals for those two smal circles on the nose - the holes are 3.5" diameter. I'm thinking something with a clear lens and amber bulb. I've been searching e-bay and there's a huge assortment to choose from. Ideally, I'd like a glass lens, something old school. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cool build...For the lights, you could look at the fog/driving lamps from a Pontiac Sunfire. Plastic lens, though.

Bob
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2012 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fitting the body panels in place today.

I wanna to do a Jalepeno kit...

This thread is full of awesome.
PFF
System Bot
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2012 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on the hinge for the hood

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2012 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to use the Pontiac "arrowhead" from a Solstice on the nose. To match the look of the Solstice and to compensate for the slightly different bend of the two hoods, I routed out the glass behind the emblem.

Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2012 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome build so far, keep it up!
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The projector beam lights came! Here's a few photos of the grille mod to install them

BigGuyTinyCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BigGuyTinyCarSend a Private Message to BigGuyTinyCarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great build! I love the unique idea. I'm not even a Fiero guy anymore (I'm just too big to fit comfortably so I had to sell), but
I love coming back to see the progress in threads like this one.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2012 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I fabricated the bracket to hold the projector lamp

You'll note the shameless product placement for Irwin tools :-) After the welding was completed I finished glassing in the steel.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2012 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010
I needed something for the tilt hood to rest on when its down. A trip to Walgreen's solved the problem.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2012 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010
The push bar is mounted!

I found it on eBay as a scratch and dent special.

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2012 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work so far! I'm looking forward to seeing this car complete. I've always wanted to build a Jalapeno kit.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2012 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I get comfortable in a decent job, and see what happens with life I want to build one of these, someone just needs to work a 4x4 system into it.
PFF
System Bot
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2012 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why would you want a 4wd? Baja bugs beat the pants off of 4 wheel drive for everything except snow conditions. I did however have an idea how to create a 4wd system - an electric drive motor on the front axle and an ecotec (or some other small, fuel efficient system) on the rear axle. I don't know how to sync up the speed of the two systems but it can't be impossible. I just don't see why anyone would want to add all that weight.
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2012 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My reason for it is I love the fiero, and honestly don't have the urge to drive or own anything else. There are very few trucks and cars I like. To have a all season fiero would be perfect.

Also: anyone else notice, we took the fiero farther than GM. Fiero is its own brand now in my eyes like Ferarri, we have hatchbacks, sporty coupes, commuters, trucks. Our own fleet of cars.
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2012 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The grille looks a little small. Here's an idea.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2012 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice push bar!

What do you call a Mexican proctologist? An Aztek. Apologies for anyone I may have offended.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2012 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010
I thought the pushbar (the one on my Fiero, not Gokart Mozart's Aztek) was a little too big, so I took 2 3/4" out of it. 3 hours of welding to get rid of less than 3 inches. Good thing I'm not paying myself.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured out the directionals

They're motorcycle lights found at the Winnebago County swap meet last summer.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still working on the grille - I have the mesh frames built and am fitting them into the fiberglass. Next I need to weld the mesh to the frames. It will be powdercoated black

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010

The pics above show the temporary frame I built to force the hood to the right shape - the sides "bow" out a bit too much. With the frame in place I laid up 3 more layers of 'glass to (hopefully) retain the shape I want. The other shots show the threaded coupler glassed into the hood, to hold the rubber bump stop that connects to the fender quarter. You may recognize the bump stop - it was originally on the rear decklid. I drilled out and glued in 1/4" threaded rod. Yes, I am that cheap.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Installed the hood latches today - they're from an International semi. Before I could mount them to the body I reinforced the glass and created flat spots to match the mounts.

Also finished the grilles today and fit them to the hood. They'll be painted black.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good! I love the grilles!
PFF
System Bot
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2013 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm starting to figure out what I want the rear of the car to look like. I have three options (so far):
http://www.speedwaymotors.c...t-Assembly,3079.html
1950 Pontiac tail lights - very simple, with glass lenses. It's my current favorite. I would use 2 per side and need to come up with a back up light.

http://www.classicnosparts....ail-light-lamps-nos/
1962 Buick tail lights

http://www.carid.com/2009-n...-lights-1436061.html
2009 Nissan Cube lights.

I already own the Nissan and Buick lights. It figures that the one I like best is the only pair I don't yet own. Any preferences or other suggestions?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the 1950 Pontiac lights.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered the 50 Pontiac tail lights today. I think its time to start selling on ebay. Also started working on the rear quarters. What a pain in the shorts! Pics to follow.
artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010

Good progress this weekend. The body panels fit (sort of). I test fit the Chief Pontiac emblems where I think I want them. I still need to "french" them in.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

artworks

159 posts
Member since Dec 2010

Those Bilstein shock mounts were just a little too tall to fit under the decklid. I guess it will just need a few more bumps in it.

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great project! I don't think I've posted in here yet, but I've been watching!

Originally posted by artworks: I test fit the Chief Pontiac emblems where I think I want them. I still need to "french" them in.

Those look great in the spots you have them in your pictures.

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 01-27-2013).]

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2013 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Making the "humps" to cover the rear coilovers - I'll call them shoulder blades

Figuring out how to fit the 50 Pontiac lights into the rear panel

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The rear panel is starting to come together. I sprayed a coat of primer so I can get a better look at the shape. Not quite done yet but it's getting there.

artworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artworksSend a Private Message to artworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Going with old-school Pontiac tail lights - 1950 vintage, I needed to work on the backup lights and found a used pair of the same year on eBay. To install them I needed to "french" them in like the tail lights. I used a plastic cup and bondo for the mold. The first photo shows the finished "ashtrays" next to the destroyed mold. After trimming the ashtrays for the right angle, they were temporarily held in place with duct tape while I glassed them to the backside. Kind of a nice look when all finished. I want to get rid of the chrome though - all black.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock