Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  1986 Fiero SE 3.4L pushrod build up (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
1986 Fiero SE 3.4L pushrod build up by justinchristie
Started on: 12-18-2008 02:49 PM
Replies: 232 (29092 views)
Last post by: justinchristie on 01-31-2016 04:49 PM
justinchristie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been doing a lot of research through the archives on PFF, and I'm at a cross roads. I'd like to get more power out of my 3.4PR and I've come to the conclusion:

1. Do I get a trueleo intake (I'm having a hard time finding one, or I miss out on a sale) and do a 7730 + DIS swap; OR
2. Do I CARB it.

If you were to ask me, ....right now, ....to make a choice - I would choose carb. I've never had experience with one, which is why I'm drawn to it. I would like to be unique with this car - there is only one other person I know of (in Ontario) that has a carbed 2.8/3.1/3.4 and that's Arns85GT. From the forum posts in the past, it looks like a very doable swap.

I'm also looking at cleaning up the engine bay - i hate all these vac lines.

What do you think?

------------------
1986 Fiero SE 3.4L pushrod build up | Blog | My Portfolio site
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by justinchristie (edited 09-22-2012).]

IP: Logged
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2012 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think a turbo would be a great solution to more power. You'd still get good fuel efficiency and you can get a greater range of adaptability for the power level you're looking for. It isn't a very unique solution though.

Good luck!
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I think a turbo would be a great solution to more power. You'd still get good fuel efficiency and you can get a greater range of adaptability for the power level you're looking for. It isn't a very unique solution though.

Good luck!

I have thought of a turbo - it is a good solution, and it's been done before many times on here. I do like the sounds of a turbo too

But it's not unique. When I say unique, this is what i'm talking about:

The Fageol 60 degree supercharger, from searching the forum, tend to starve the 3.4L air-flow at higher rpms - that is OK with me. Most of my driving is around town. I'm not looking for a quarter mile car, I like power in the lower rpms. Plus it requires a carb conversion to work, which is ok with me.

Now finding one is a different story - there is one for sale on the 60degreeV6 forums, but no lower intake to mount to the 3.4L. It would be tough to source one.

It is not a plug-in-play kit, it would require some fabrication. One member on this board has done it in a 88 with a 3.4L - he said it was great. I've tried contacting him to get his thoughts, but no luck

------------------

FieroWannaBe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about a 4 barrel manifold, with a fuel injeciton throttle body?
renderareason

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for renderareasonSend a Private Message to renderareasonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I were you I would definitely go the carb route. When I was building up my 3.4L (before I decided to go with an L67), I found that the easiest and most affordable (believe it or not) way to make power out of that engine was with a carb setup. Get the Edelbrock lower intake manifold (p/n 3785 & 3789 http://www.edelbrock.com/au...y/performer-v6.shtml ), and a Crower Hi-Draulic Hauler (p/n 03050 http://www.crower.com/chevy...6-hydraulic-cam.html ). There's a few carb options, but it depends on how high you want to rev the engine. If you're not concerned with the upper rpm range (this cam has a 6500 rpm redline), then the Holley 390cfm carb should be fine (p/n 0-8007 http://www.holley.com/0-8007.asp ). If you want to be able to take the engine past 6000 rpm, then you may want something larger, but there are many options. Personally I think that the trueleo intake is a little strange looking sitting in the fiero engine bay, but some people like it. With that setup, if you were to get the heads ported you could definitely see over 200whp. Just something to think about.

[This message has been edited by renderareason (edited 09-28-2012).]

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2012 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still on the fence about it. I've been watching a thread with the eBay turbo setup, and it's sparked my interest in doing a turbo.

I'm kind of partial to the way my engine bay looks now, and I'm hesitant to change it. While I was out doing measurements last night on spacing for a turbo, i took a pic...

Fyi, those blue wire looms are going bye-bye. They were originally installed by the guys who did my car, and they don't match anything. complete eye-sore...

------------------

[This message has been edited by justinchristie (edited 03-19-2015).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2012 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some red or black silicone couplings would look good in there with that shiny turbo Just saying!
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO, bright colored wire loom just adds to the visual clutter. Black wire loom should look much better.
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Some red or black silicone couplings would look good in there with that shiny turbo Just saying!

Black for sure. Turbo, .....hmmmm

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

justinchristie

547 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by Blacktree:

IMO, bright colored wire loom just adds to the visual clutter. Black wire loom should look much better.

Completely agree. With most engine bays, the intake, valve covers and headers should be the center of focus. A blower/supercharger or a turbo helps too....

...I said turbo again

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Received my new trunk seals from Will. Professionally packaged, great quality.

PFF
System Bot
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have made a decision. I'm going to stick with fuel injection - I will be upgrading to the 7730 ECM and move to DIS.

I've grabbed everything I need to do this switch. The main reason I'm sticking with fuel injection (and the 7730 ECM) is for the tuning ability.

I will explain why shortly. Stay tuned.....

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
....I wanted to keep fuel injection, and do the 7730 swap for this below....

It took me quite awhile to find one of these – almost 8 years. Fortunately a local guy in the greater Toronto area had one and the kit only had 1,500km on it.

This is the (now defunct) RSM kit. It includes the bracket, pulleys (plus custom aluminum crank pulley), belt, piping, silicone couplers, blow-off valve, and the supercharger. The main unit is a Vortech V9G.

It is currently setup to produce 10psi of boost – I’m going to dial that down to 6-8psi for longevity of the 3.4L

CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2012 04:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my favorite Fiero of all time just keeps getting cooler. Its gonna be a blast to drive.
Ry86GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2012 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Subscribed. It's always nice to see what people somewhat near me are up to.

Are you the one on Kijiji with that intake plenum for sale? I wish I was closer, I'd scoop it up to refinish and swap onto my car.

The car is looking awesome so far.
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CommanderKeen:

One of my favorite Fiero of all time just keeps getting cooler. Its gonna be a blast to drive.

Thank you!

Originally posted by Ry86GT:

Subscribed. It's always nice to see what people somewhat near me are up to.

Are you the one on Kijiji with that intake plenum for sale? I wish I was closer, I'd scoop it up to refinish and swap onto my car.

The car is looking awesome so far.

I do have an intake plenum for sale (upper). It needs a good sand blasting, but it's in good shape.
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2013 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, been really busy with work and family time. It's been too cold lately to work in the garage. However I did get around to installing the Fiero Warehouse spoiler I ordered back in October.

Installing this spoiler was pretty straight forward. The instructions were written on it – measurements were made on the deck-lid and a silver sharpie was used to mark the points for drilling.

Once everything was lined up, the deck-lid was sanded down and epoxy was used to secure the spoiler. Heaters were used to help the epoxy cure because the temperature was around freezing.

Took about 4 hours to do everything.

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2013 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been Photoshopping a few mock-ups of the paint scheme I'd like for the Fiero. I'll post more from different angles when I complete them.

I'm going to retain the gold colour, but add a satin black to the mix.

What do you think?

Voided

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2013 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VoidedSend a Private Message to VoidedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd say....

Don't busy it up with more than 1 tone on the outside. you just unbusied the interior, for goodness sakes.

if I had to choose a color for it, I'd say pearl white, (think caddi white) or the new corvette blue. that would be awesome. but definately don't busy it up with a two tone or something, it's not 1987 anymore

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Voided:

I'd say....

Don't busy it up with more than 1 tone on the outside. you just unbusied the interior, for goodness sakes.

if I had to choose a color for it, I'd say pearl white, (think caddi white) or the new corvette blue. that would be awesome. but definately don't busy it up with a two tone or something, it's not 1987 anymore

Interesting suggestion about the caddy pearl - i have thought about that before. But gold is the colour of the engine bay, and I would like to continue that theme to the exterior.

I have to disagree with you on not going two-tone because I have the Fiero Warehouse nose. It is inherently "droopy" with a single colour scheme - I have seen Fieros with one colour and I do not like the look at all. The nose looks like it's driving the car into the ground.

FieroX has the same nose and he did a two-tone orange/black paint job - it looks fantastic, ...and it hides the "droopiness".

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

justinchristie

547 posts
Member since Sep 2006
Also, i have an animated GIF showing the before/after mock-up:

PFF
System Bot
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by justinchristie:

I've been doing a lot of research through the archives on PFF, and I'm at a cross roads. I'd like to get more power out of my 3.4PR and I've come to the conclusion:

1. Do I get a trueleo intake (I'm having a hard time finding one, or I miss out on a sale) and do a 7730 + DIS swap; OR
2. Do I CARB it.

If you were to ask me, ....right now, ....to make a choice - I would choose carb. I've never had experience with one, which is why I'm drawn to it. I would like to be unique with this car - there is only one other person I know of (in Ontario) that has a carbed 2.8/3.1/3.4 and that's Arns85GT. From the forum posts in the past, it looks like a very doable swap.

I'm also looking at cleaning up the engine bay - i hate all these vac lines.

What do you think?

I went turbo on my 3.4 it woke the engine up. I was running 10psi with no issues. I built a motor to run 18PSI daily but never got it back in the car before I sold the car. Here is a video of the car through 3 gears. Warning I spent 5K on motors and turbo set up doing the work myself to get it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...re=player_detailpage
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

I went turbo on my 3.4 it woke the engine up. I was running 10psi with no issues. I built a motor to run 18PSI daily but never got it back in the car before I sold the car. Here is a video of the car through 3 gears. Warning I spent 5K on motors and turbo set up doing the work myself to get it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...re=player_detailpage

Love the sound. thanks for sharing!

------------------

vladfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vladfieroSend a Private Message to vladfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what was your exhaust setup berfore you put the turbo in ? except for the headers wat kingd of mufleur do u have ?

very nice car by the way i hope will will one day look as good as yours
vladfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vladfieroSend a Private Message to vladfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

vladfiero

45 posts
Member since Feb 2013
what was your exhaust setup berfore you put the turbo in ? except for the headers wat kingd of mufleur do u have ?

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vladfiero:

I haven't put any Turbo in. It's a super charger I'm installing. I have 2.5" exhaust to a Magnaflow muffler. It sounds great.

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

justinchristie

547 posts
Member since Sep 2006
Sorry, my summer was a write-off.

I'm working full time and getting my degree (part-time) at the same time. So between family life, ...working, ....putting in a patio and 60ft stone walk-way at the front, ...and schooling over the summer I have been quite busy.

Not much time left over for the Fiero. I have taken her out for a few spins over the summer - but I did not document it here.

But not all is lost:

1) I purchased a lambo door kit (Jesse's version)
2) I have begun testing the paint for the Fiero.

I'm doing it in Rustoleum. Before you start hating, do a search on Google.

Carbon mist metallic and Champagne metallic.

4 coats of colour. 2 clear UV coats. Wet sand. 2 coats clear UV. Wet sand. 1 coat clear. Wet sand. Rubbing. Then polish to a shine.

------------------

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That supercharger should wake it up.
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry everyone, it has been a busy year so far. I've been occupied with a lot of house projects this spring and summer. the winter was so brutal (and long) up here that i didn't have a chance to tackle the car from nov-march.

I'm going to try and work on the Fiero this fall. I have the lambo door conversion, a new set of headlights, and a few fiberglass pieces to install. I want it painted next spring so I can enjoy it for the summer.

I want it back on the road, then I'm tackling the ECM conversion and the supercharger.

Stay tuned.

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the lack of updates. I've just had other priorities that keep coming up.

I've contemplated selling the whole project, but I just can't bring myself to do it. i've put too much time into the car.

P.S. - i switch my web server around in November, and I just noticed all the pictures had broken links in my thread. I went back through each page and corrected the pic links.

Gambit

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just take it easy mate. Myself had the same problems and also feeling guilty that i didn't got around to go further with the build of my fiero. Now, i dont mind people asking why its not finished yet. I see it as a hobby and a hobby may take as long as needed, its a HOBBY. So, from the other side of the pond i wish you the best and just hang it there.
PFF
System Bot
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2015 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today was the first day I've worked on the Fiero for over 1.5 years. It felt great.

I decided the Ferrari 355 bumper just wasn't a fit for the overall vision. So decided to go in a different direction...

A local guy that moved on from Fieros decided to sell his 300zx bumper he had (complete with all the nissan lights). Brand new, never installed.

It's another project to complete on the car, ...but I'm much happier with how this bumper looks.

------------------

[This message has been edited by justinchristie (edited 10-04-2015).]

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2016 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After 15 years of ownership, I decided it was time to part ways. The car had become a low priority and it was taking up space in our garage.

In November 2015 I sold it.

I have various goodies that I am selling off, you can check them out here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/073421.html
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock