Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Heavily Modded 3800SC 87 GT build Thread (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Heavily Modded 3800SC 87 GT build Thread by daniel87fierogt
Started on: 02-17-2008 07:18 AM
Replies: 153 (18757 views)
Last post by: Tweeder on 02-28-2014 12:21 AM
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2008 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
David, I really wish i could get to that barbecue on the 4th but i am in class all day long from 7am-6pm so there is no way i can make that, and that day is mandatory or i get dropped from the academy And the same goes for the coast run, i promised Dale that i would be at the coast run no matter what this year since i missed last years but this academy has another mandatory day that saturday. Ive got around 5000 dollars tied up in this academy so calling in sick is not an option unfortunately.
IP: Logged
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a little more work done today on the swap, we mocked up where the Frozenboost FMHE is going to be. We put the front facia on to check clearance and everything cleared. We will make some brackets up now to secure the bottom of the core and then we will permanentely mount the top also. We had to cut out the center section of that piece that the turn sigal lights bolt to cause that core is so thick, its 3.5 inches thick plus there are going to be 2, 7 inch puller fans mounted on the core so we needed quite a bit of room to fit all that up in there.

Bubbajuju

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2008 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright this is one of my favorite threads. What's going on with this project now?
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2008 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Were pulling the cradle back out either next weekend or the weekend after that. Were pulling the ZZP headers off and im sending them off to Jet-Hot coatings. Im getting them done in the Extreme Sterling coating and plus them being 304 Stainless should mean they will have excellent heat retention properties. There is no way i would run these bare headers without coating them and i dont like header wrap because its unatrattracitve to look at. We will be installing the wiring harness also while the motor is out to make it easier to route the wires unseen and make sure there all the correct length. Thanks for bumping it though so i doesnt get lost in the archives Will post updates as soon as i get the exhaust back from Jet-Hot. Daniel

[This message has been edited by daniel87fierogt (edited 01-19-2009).]

Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2008 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool Daniel.
Good to see it's moving along. I look forward to those dyno and track numbers!
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2008 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daniel -

There's a place in Fresno that does coating that you might want to check into if you get a chance. I had them do the coating on my 38oo SC Headers, and they turned out nice. Altho I will admit that I'd not do the AL coating again, I would go w/ their black turbo coating on them. Better heat traps in the pipe, and great service.

Never know, might save ya a couple duckets as well.

http://www.capsbhc.com/

--Allen

------------------
And it begins again...

85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2009 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
to the top
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2009 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for bumping it. I was just getting ready to update the thread actually. I have some pics i will post either tomorow or the next day of the clearancing required to run ZZPs headers. We used a angle grinder with a sanding disk to take the material off of the top of the getrag. The headers are boxed up and will be sent out to Jet-Hot either on Tuesday or Wednesday. I will be sure to post pics of the headers after i get them back from Jet hot. Thanks Daniel
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2009 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

daniel87fierogt

1793 posts
Member since Oct 2003
Allen,
I checked out that site you recommended to do the coating on my headers and it came out to be about the same as Jet Hot quoted me. Both places were a little over 300 dollars so i am just going to send them to Jet hot. Thanks for the help though, it nevers hurts to try. Thanks Daniel
85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2009 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love to see this car someday. Very nice work!
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Bump. Bump. For the new 3800 members. And any progress reports would be cool.
PFF
System Bot
Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daniel, coming along very nicely. David - I'll be out there at WCF on Monday & Tuesday again to spin wrenches on the SRT-4 and possibly the 442, is your Blue hotrod still there? If so was the proportioning valve issue squared away?

[This message has been edited by Chicken McNizzle (edited 01-31-2009).]

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2009 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Allright well Jet-Hot is shipping out the coated headers tomorow so i will have some nice shiny pieces in my possession by friday hopefully. Will post pics and my thoughts on dealing with JetHot when they arrive.

85duke- You might just get to see this car someday, i have applied for CHP and im awaiting my physical and oral interviews next month so if i get accepted into the academy i will move up there to sacramento and the car will come with me. So probably by August or September is when i will move up there.
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Allright well i finally got pics of the coated headers. I posted a review about how it went with Jet-Hot and i am very happy with what they did. Heres the pics for everyone, now we just have to get them on the motor and then it will go back into the car for the final time. Getting closer to the first start

BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2009 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks good man keep it up
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2009 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope cliff sees this so he can move it into the construction section with all the other good build threads.
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2009 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by daniel87fierogt:

I hope cliff sees this so he can move it into the construction section with all the other good build threads.

just P.m him and he will move it

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2009 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A big update is coming soon with lots of pics so this is just to let everyone know that i havent abandoned the car.
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2009 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right On. Looking forward to it.
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have decided to buy some F40 transmissions for the swap also. I am going to run the getrag until it grenades and then in with the 6 speed The transmissions came with the hydraulic throwout bearings also. They are the 2006 models so they have the better gearing than the newer boxes. I cant wait to drive it with one of these in it.

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice that they came with htob's... but still, F40's fail.
PFF
System Bot
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah well im gonna put a lsd in the one thats going to be behind my 3800SC and we will see what some drag radials and a sticky track will do to one
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by daniel87fierogt:

yeah well im gonna put a lsd in the one thats going to be behind my 3800SC and we will see what some drag radials and a sticky track will do to one

What LSD? I didnt think OBX made lsd's for the F40 (that is reserved for the factory race trans f23).... the quaife is just a joke to the wallet....
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ya LSD for sure launch it at 4,500 and see what happens lol maybe she'll hook up and you can pull some good times outta it!!! thats awesome that you got them cheap or at a good price!!!
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i was going to go with the quaife even though it is pretty pricey, i got a good enough deal on these transmissions that i can warrant spending the money on a good lsd.
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2009 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well today the big brown truck brought me my side scoops from Fiero fiberglass. They are the GT Style #1, and they arrived very well packed and they look great. I will be taking them to the paint shop very soon to have them painted. I have to cut the openings out and the mounting holes first. After they are painted i will put the 1/4" black honeycomb mesh in the openings. The swap moves foreward steadily and i want to thank Jimmy for providing these to the fiero community.

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2009 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A big update is coming soon. Hopefully it will be ready for the first startup here next month.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2009 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry...totally off-topic here:
Every time I drive down the street from my house I think of you and your dad.

Yep, that 88 GT is still for sale and probably will be for life.

Speaking of Fiero's, there is an honest-to-goodness Fiero Tessarosa re-body
at a used car lot just a little ways down the road.
Name of the place is Lotus Car Sales but alas, I dont know their phone# and cant
find it using Information/411 or the internet!

Kit
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2010 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for update
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We will be fitting Jimmys GT1 Style sidescoops on the car soon, i will post pictures of that. I have to take them down to be painted and then i will post pics of them finished and on the car also. We havent started the motor for the first time yet because we have to finish mounting the FMHE and the pump. All thats left to do is make the exhaust up and the motor swap will be done. Thanks Daniel
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for info.
PFF
System Bot
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2010 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Allright well the header bolts from Percys high performance came in, and rodneys alluminum cradle mounts came in also The car next week is going up to West Coast fiero so they can make the A/C lines up and build the exhaust for the swap.

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2010 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the front mount heat exchanger mounted today. We welded a frame together that goes all the way around the HE so that it uses the two top mounting tabs and the two lower mounting tabs. This thing is very heavy duty, it weighs about 20-25 pounds so we wanted to support it very securely. All thats left to do is mount the pump and run the lines.

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Making steady progress now, Got the JetHot coated ZZP headers installed last night and we notched the decklid out for the supercharger snout. We will put the rear suspension back under it so it can go up to West Coast Fiero, they will be making the A/C lines, the exhaust system and a couple other needed pieces for the swap.

This picture shows the dipstick and you can kind of see the insulation we put around it. Thanks Rick for the idea!

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that looks extremely clean and well put together.

Congratulations!
88GTS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTSSend a Private Message to 88GTSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Daniel,

What size and water capacity is your heat exchanger and how did you determine the capacity for your application?

Thanks.
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks doublec4 for the kind words, it has been 3 long years since i started this swap and it finally in the next few months is going to get wrapped up. It will be finished in time for the coast run in october so that will be its first spirited drive

88GTS- Im not exactly sure on the total capacity of the intercooler system yet but we figure it will be between 1-2 gallons and thats without a 1 1/2 gallon ice box that will bring the total system capacity up to atleast 3 gallons. The frozen boost heat exchanger has been pretty widely used by the Grand Prix GTP guys and they have excellent results using it. I will have temp guages on the in and out of the intercooler HE so we will see just how well it works.
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are pictures of the thermostat housing we made up for the swap. It uses a 3/8 flange with the bottom of a 4 cyl duke welded to the flange and then the 2.8 V6 thermostat housing welded on top of the duke piece. We used this reducer so that we could use the factory o-ring that seals the thermostat housing to the lower intake manifold. I like using o-rings wherever possible instead of paper gaskets and this utilizes the factory o-ring. Another reason I also wanted the top of the thermostat housing taller because im running the ZZP fullsize intercooler which raises the supercharger up 2 1/4 inches. Another must have was being able to use the factory fiero thermostat for ease of replacement so i got that also. We finished up putting all the rear suspension back on it and it is ready to be trailered up to west coast fiero. Hope you guys enjoy the pics. Thanks Daniel

ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy sweet swap. THIS is how you do an L67...

[This message has been edited by ConvictedRedneck (edited 06-01-2010).]

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got into the construction zone
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock