Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Heavily Modded 3800SC 87 GT build Thread (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Heavily Modded 3800SC 87 GT build Thread by daniel87fierogt
Started on: 02-17-2008 07:18 AM
Replies: 153 (18765 views)
Last post by: Tweeder on 02-28-2014 12:21 AM
Billybo455

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks great man. go turbo now while you still can! you won't regret it
IP: Logged
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hehe yeah i know blake I actually almost did go the turbo route, i almost pulled the trigger on a new ball bearing T70 the other day. But then i really like twin screws also. I am waiting to see what wbodystore comes out and if i dont like wbodystores twin screw then the turbo is going on. I am maxing this M90 out on my setup just as you were with your setup.
Billybo455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the whipple is neat. i was doing some preheating of my tires today in the driveway and found the limit's of a stock axle... it was louder then i expected! neat stuff though. it sounds insane over 7k rpms. it actually sounds good!
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice I knew you would break an axle, it was just a matter of time. Now go get some bulletproof axles and CV joints I am curious about since you dont really need CV joints in the rear of the fiero since it only goes up and down and not side to side and up and down like a standard FWD car does, you could probably have some custom axles built and use U-joints instead of CV joints. I dont know if it would work or not but i highly doubt you would break another one then.
Billybo455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have a set of hubs and axles that are suppsed to be able to take 800. i want to throw another stocker back in. i don't know what the deal with it was. i had a reman on it, but the boot tore. so discount upgraded to a new one for free. the new one had a 1.25" shaft. Looked 100x better then the reman. i think it was a fluke. not to mention i was on my 235/35/18's vs the 275/40/17 drag radials. which also pushes me towards fluke. either way, back on track. need a whipple, you won't regret it either :P
Billybo455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Billybo455

529 posts
Member since Dec 2006
btw, you need c/v's because they move in and out. you could do a slip joint like the rear of the trans, but in the shaft itself. doing that would lead to issue's of strength also. the best bet is what i had made. i'll email you some pics of them if you like. i think they are built using porsche joints and the hubs just look like stockers, but redrilled and splined. could be wrong through.
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah i would love to see your setup on the axles. Send the pics to dltraylor@hotmail.com also did you ever get the boost bypass figured out on your whipple. I know that PRJ on clubgp was saying the right way to do the boost bypass to route the bypass after the intercooler and not through the case like the kit comes with. When you get your turbo setup done i would like first dibs on your whipple if you would be willing to part with it. Let me know please. Thanks Daniel
D2inDFW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daniel:

As you probably know, West Coast Fiero is now located in Tehachapi. My car is there now getting a 3.8 swapped in.

I had hoped my car would be at the show, but I am not sure it will be ready. We shall see..... maybe as a work in progress as everything except the engine is done.

Regards,

David
Billybo455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yep, the bypass is all sorted out. it pushes the air through the intercooler. then on it's way to the bbv it has to go back through the rear of the intercooler. so it passes the core twice before it goes back into the intake. i should be going out to the shop tomorrow and i'll snap some pics then for you. i want to see what i can do with the whipple and then you're more then welcome to it. just gotta get a little bit more money to run next week.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a pic of the custom axles that were installed into my car.

JR/Kitcarman claims that they are rated for 600ftlbs of torque. He absolutely refused to tell me who made them though. If they break I quess I will have to find a shop that can reproduce them for me. They appear to have a much thicker shaft than the stock Fiero shaft.

------------------

My best advice when it comes to your Fiero is to "NOT" do any dealings with www.kitcarman.com
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-061575.html <~ The drama with kitcarman
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/078336.html <~ finishing and fixing kitcarmans mess
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079860.html <~ re-do after kitcarmans motor blew up.

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice looking axles Jimmy. I have a feeling that i will swapping the built auto in very shortly after i grenade this getrag. Instead of pieceing together axles im going to talk to the same transmisson shop that Cali-kid had build his bulletproof axles for his SBC.
PFF
System Bot
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

daniel87fierogt

1793 posts
Member since Oct 2003
David- I might have to drop by west coast fiero and check out your car and how the swap is coming along. I pass right by west coast fiero everyday and i have only been in there shop once.

Blake- The pictures would be great if you could. Please when you are ready to get rid of the whipple, i would like first crack at it.
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dude you are one luck sob i'm jelious of you i would love to do the sc 3800 build
i think with the looks of the motor your car is going to be show room quilty. i'm very intrested in this build
my oppion would to be go all out though like port and polish EVERYTHING while its out and you can get to it
Well be looking for a VIDEO on how it runs and please go get some numbers on it i would like to see what it
runs in the 1/4's
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the complements. Im trying to make it show quality because next year its going to Westfest 09. Everything has practically been ported and polished that could be. The supercharger has been ported and polished out to 75MM and im running the 75MM N* throttlebody. The heads have been ported and polished to a Stage 3 ZZP head equivelent. This setup for sure will have several hours of dyno time down in Huntington beach for the perfect tune and hopefully i can get a couple of runs down Famoso Raceway to see what this setup will do in the 1/4. Im going to launch it similar to the way that Matt Hawkins launches his Turbo 3.4 dohc to try and save grenading the getrag.
D2inDFW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daniel:

This link provides some excellent info on larger superchargers, Whipples and such: http://www.zzperformance.co.../articles1.php?id=54

There is a lot of Whipple info here: http://www.superchargersonl...forum.asp?FORUM_ID=7

Yes, please do drop by WCF. Would appreciate your thoughts about the work that is going on. I am trying to make my mind up about whether to do a cam and head work; if we do that we will not be finished in time for the car show. May not make it in time any way.

Regards,

David

[This message has been edited by D2inDFW (edited 07-19-2008).]

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2008 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
David, Thanks for those links. I read that article about the twin screws on ZZPs website a long time ago but i didnt know there was a supercharger forum. Good find! When i go by there i will take a look at what there doing to your car and ill let you know what i think. I would definitely say go with a heads and cam if you forsee your self in the future looking for more power. Even something such as the VS or XP cam from ZZP can be used in a daily driver no problem. I dont think i would go as far as the XPZ cam in daily driver but thats just me.
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2008 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Allright everyone lots of pictures of the engine sitting on the cradle hooked up to the getrag coming soon. And then the fabbing and running of the Intercooler lines and frozenboost FMHE. Stay tuned, getting alot closer to the startup video
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2008 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Outstanding swap!
Looking forward to those pics and dyno numbers.
If you get a chance shoot a pic or two of your exhaust.
Really nice work.
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2008 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bubbajuju

548 posts
Member since Sep 2007
Oh and I forgot.
To get around those tough Cali emissions laws, just put your title and registration in my name and I will send you some Oklahoma tags.
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some more pics from yesterdays work. I got the new transmisson and cradle painted and then i took a couple pics of the bracket that we fabbed up to hold the slave cyclinder. We rotated it 90 degrees so that the pacesetter crossover will clear the slave. More pics on thursday and friday. We should get it mounted on the cradle and a test fit is possible.

[This message has been edited by daniel87fierogt (edited 08-12-2008).]

crab daddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crab daddySend a Private Message to crab daddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What brand and size valves went into those heads?

Looks awsome!

------------------
Thinking about dropping the L67 from my gp into a Fiero.
12.466 @ 114.15 INTENSE S1X/ZZP IC/TOG Headers

PFF
System Bot
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2008 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by daniel87fierogt:

ignorant prodigy-I am using the stock size valves and they are the stock GM valves. I was going to upgrade to manley severe duty valves but then i decided that i am waiting for the ZZPerformance Stage 4 alluminum heads to come out so i didnt go to larger valves.

lol Dave I asked the same question
crab daddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2008 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crab daddySend a Private Message to crab daddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know frankie had the same failure with gm valves. He was running an s3 cam and 130lb springs and the dish broke off the valve.. same way mine did with SI valves and 105lb springs... It makes me sketchy on all valves besides manley. I have never heard of a single case of manley valves breaking. Not just in 3800s but in all applications.

------------------

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2008 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes i know what you mean about the stock GM valves. I have seen over on Clubgp a couple of times where guys were running 105 or 130lb springs and it broke the valve, but then on the other side of things you see alot of guys running them with many thousands of miles with no failure. ZZP just needs to hurry up and get the Aluminum heads out so i can get rid of these stock valves and actually get something that flows.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2008 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
alum heads from zzp are looking sorta bleak... The flow numbers coming out of there right now are quite poopy.
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2008 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah Dark i would have to agree with you on the flow numbers for the aluminium heads as cast. They say that they flow less than there Stage 3 head which is just a ported and polished stock cast iron head. But they also said that the ported aluminum heads will flow far more than the stage 3 heads so when i buy the Aluminum heads i will take them over to my machinest and have them port them out and throw them on the flow bench, then they will be a nice set of heads combined with a XPZ cam or a stage 3 turbo cam

[This message has been edited by daniel87fierogt (edited 08-14-2008).]

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2008 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got alot done tonight. Put the stage 4 spec clutch in and mated the tranny and engine, got all the mounts on and it sits perfect without any problems. We got the engine in and test fitted for the first time, next up is running the intercooler lines and getting all the little stuff done like coolent hoses, vacuum lines, putting the wiring harness and PCM in. Getting closer to the first start

This is the bracket we fabbed up to reposition the slave for clearance for the headers

daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2008 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

daniel87fierogt

1793 posts
Member since Oct 2003

crab daddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2008 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crab daddySend a Private Message to crab daddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks Great!!

------------------

D2inDFW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2008 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very Nice!!!

Regards,

David
Billybo455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2008 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
please please please get rid of those stock manifolds!
PFF
System Bot
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2008 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oh dont worry theres no way that i would use those stock manifolds with this built motor. I have decided to sell the pacesetters and get a set of ZZPs 304 Stainless headers. Thats why those stock manifolds are not painted. They were just on there because we bolted the lift brackets onto the motor to move it around.
Billybo455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2008 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
use the pacesetters. weld the y. use a vband to connect the exhaust. you're done. i think the pacesetters give the most gain of the headers right now. them or the tog extreme's. which are a lot more. you'll love them.
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2008 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sold the pacesetters and purchased one of the first sets of ZZPs new 304 stainless 2 peice headers. They are top notch and i cant wait to install them, i did a full write-up on them here in TD&Q also. More updates are coming soon, next is running the intercooler lines and mounting the new frozen boost heat exchanger.

[This message has been edited by daniel87fierogt (edited 09-17-2008).]

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2008 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any pics of how you did the fuel lines?
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2008 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those fuel rails were done by a guy here on the forum. I dont know if he still does them but they connect right up to the stock fuel lines, they have the 5/16 and 3/8 saginaw fittings on the end of the rail so that it connects right up just like the stock 2.8 did.
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2008 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome build man! Looks very similar to mine. I pray and pray and pray that your Getrag holds up for a bit! If you plan on drag racing in any way, it's going to be real tough making it last without toasting the case. If it's a show car and just mess around car it may last a while, but you know the confidence most people have in the gear ratios and just overall stability with that tranny. I tried using it once and it grenaded the case in less than 4 passes and I was running mid 13's! LOL.

------------------

1 of 2: Graphite Grey Pearl 87 GT 5 spd: 2.8L (Best 1/4 mile: 15.57@87mph, 2.0 60ft)
2 of 2: Ferrari Red 88 Formula/4T65EHD: 97 GTP Motor (Best 1/4 mile: 12.0@118mph, 1.89 60ft w/True Street Radial Tires not Drag Radials!)

My CarDomain Site
My Friend Garrod's CarDomain Site

BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2008 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wan't to see vid when its done
daniel87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2008 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amir, Thanks for the complements on it. Your notchie has always been one of my favorites and the motor i like too I remember about your getrag failure on the forum a long time ago. I dont plan to take it to the dragstrip but who knows, i am going to dyno it though for sure. As soon as I grenade this getrag i am swapping in a built 4t65HD from Dave at Triple Edge performance so thats already been planned but im going to not abuse this getrag so i can atleast get a few miles out of it. There will be lots of videos also so no worries there. Thanks everyone for the support, it keeps me motivated and makes me want to drive it that much more.
D2inDFW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2008 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daniel:

Are you coming to the WCF Barbecue on October 4 and/or the 6th Annual West Coast Run on October 29. Here are links to both: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/071680.html and //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/072680.html

Hope you can make the Barbecue as we may have a first start ceremony on my 3.8 SC. At least we can compare notes.

Regards,

David

[This message has been edited by D2inDFW (edited 09-20-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave