Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  My second paint build... Finally I get to paint my car. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My second paint build... Finally I get to paint my car. by JimmyS
Started on: 03-23-2009 09:40 PM
Replies: 193 (12634 views)
Last post by: Westy on 11-18-2010 10:34 PM
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2009 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work... you really do want to be buried with that car don't you...
IP: Logged
Fiero-117A

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2009 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-117ASend a Private Message to Fiero-117AEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i like it nice and clean.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2009 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Humidity is a lot less of a problem with acrylic enamel and basecoat/ clearcoat urathane. It was a BIG problem in the days of laquer. That was because it dried from the outside inward. The enamels all dry from inside out so nothing generally gets trapped under the outter layer.

I PREFER to do painting now with basecoats and clear urathane on days where it has a steady light rain all day. Paint flows and lays out nicer, although does take it a bit longer to dry. Makes for lot less color sanding the next day. If its not getting color sanded, theres a LOT less dust, lint and bugs in it after you spray.

The hood paint looks great in and out. Good luck with the rest. Its just me, but I think your doing overkill refinishing bumper backings, lol. Just blow the loose rust off and use POR on it. Cant remember ever seeing a bumper reinforcement bar rusting out. I see them all with surface rust though....most I take off or put on are not even painted, just bare steel.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Nice work... you really do want to be buried with that car don't you...

YES!

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

The hood paint looks great in and out. Good luck with the rest. Its just me, but I think your doing overkill refinishing bumper backings, lol. Just blow the loose rust off and use POR on it. Cant remember ever seeing a bumper reinforcement bar rusting out. I see them all with surface rust though....most I take off or put on are not even painted, just bare steel.

I know it may be overkill but this car is going to be with me till I die so I want to make sure it lives a looooong healthy life.

I also want to be part of the elite. By that I mean... When people think of their favorite Fiero's on this forum, I want to be on that list. I have my favorites... Madcurl, Troyboy, SkiTime, JScott1, Randye, GODFATHER, & Ohio86SE just to name a few and in no particular order.

Now on with other news...

I finally got the spare tire compartment painted! I will post up some pics tomorrow after I get everything put back together.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JimmyS

4666 posts
Member since Apr 2006
After watching the Indy 500 today, I went out into the garage to put the spare tire compartment back together.

Before...

After...

Some may call it overkill and it was definately a lot of work but the end result is fantastic! At least to me it is.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 05-24-2009).]

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jimmy, That does look great.

It's going to look sharp when you pop the hood at shows.

Looking forward to more of your build up shots.
ktthecarguy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 167
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ktthecarguyClick Here to visit ktthecarguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ktthecarguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that looks great! It's starting to look like it just rolled off the end of the assembly line. Good work.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2009 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I enlisted the talent of Bill Kidd from tricked out customs www.mobileairbrushing.com

Bill came to my house today to work his magic on an area of my car that I did not trust myself to do. In about a week I reveal a lot about the paintjob but for right now, here is a teaser pic...

In about a week, I will have the front bumper, front fenders and door panels put back on the car and that is when you will get to see what is really going on with the paint.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2009 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

Some may call it overkill and it was definately a lot of work but the end result is fantastic! At least to me it is.

You obviously took the Team E motto to heart there Jimmy!

"Anything worth doing, is worth over-doing!"

That looks fantastic. Guess I'll have to get busy on mine now.
winger1955

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2009 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for winger1955Send a Private Message to winger1955Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JIM your car looks great. i am enjoying the wolf bra you sold me. can't wait to see your car with new paint. i love the hood mods and paint. wish you well.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

You obviously took the Team E motto to heart there Jimmy!

"Anything worth doing, is worth over-doing!"

That looks fantastic. Guess I'll have to get busy on mine now.

Busy on Yours? Your paint is done already! LOL

Originally posted by winger1955:

JIM your car looks great. i am enjoying the wolf bra you sold me. can't wait to see your car with new paint. i love the hood mods and paint. wish you well.

I'm glad your happy with the bra. I never liked the look of a bra but my front bumper was so chipped up I couldn't bare to look at it. That bra served it's purpose well (hiding the chips) and i'm glad someone else now has a chance to make good use of it.

Well i'm going out to do some sanding on the ground effects to get them ready for paint. I am planning on having the hood, front bumper, front fenders and door panels completed and back on the car this weekend. Once those pieces are back on, more pics will follow.

PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2009 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I have made a LOT of progress.

Even though it is not complete, this should now give everyone an good idea of where the paint scheme is going...

Next up will be the roof and rear clip. I have an appointment on the 1st to have the new windsheld installed so I have to get those parts done ASAP.

------------------

Click here for all your Fiberglass part needs

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 06-21-2009).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2009 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, that's not far off from my future paint-job. I like it!

-Edited to keep the thread 'on topic'-

------------------
'88 Fiero GT - getting there
'96 Talon TSi AWD - 11.9 @ 116, sorta broke again still
'90 Camaro IROC-Z twin-turbo - sorta broke again still
'85 Kawi 750 Turbo - sorta broke still
'95 Kawi GPZ1100 - 10 second daily driver, heh

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 07-10-2009).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2009 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your not really going to paint those side scoops are you ?

We won't be able to pick out your car with those painted !

How many years have they been unpainted ?

The project is looking good.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2009 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Your not really going to paint those side scoops are you ?

We won't be able to pick out your car with those painted !

How many years have they been unpainted ?

The project is looking good.

Yeppers. I sure am going to paint them.

Trust me when I say... "My car will definately be able to be picked out".

Well at first I had the Dietmar scoops and they were on the car for a couple of years and were never painted. I sold them to a guy here in FL. and he painted them. The scoops that are on the car now are my GT Style #1 scoops and they have only been on the car for about 7 months.

Thank you.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2009 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JimmyS

4666 posts
Member since Apr 2006
It was 115 deg. yesterday with the heat index and I just wasn't up to going outside and doing anything. Actually, it's been really hot and humid ouside for the past 2-3 weeks.

Last night, my girlfriend went to bed around 10pm and I just was not tired. I went out into my air conditioned garage and decide to remove the sunroof weather strip so I could start prepping the roof for paint. I had already decided to replace the weather strip on the sunroof cause mine was starting to look pretty ragged. Since I was going to replace it, I just grabbed it and started pulling. It tore a few time and I just thru it away once it was out. Then I looked at the sunroof tracks and was not happy to see all the rust...

Since I refuse to use rusted junk, I removed the interior pieces that needed to be removed and then removed the tracks...

I was happy to see that there was no rust damage on the inside...

For some odd reason, I was feeling really abitious and decided to tear into the rest of the car. I removed everything that still needs to be painted...

After all that was done, I took a shower and headed to bed... 4:30am!
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2009 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since you have it all apart, make sure to inspect your fuel filler rubber neck and make sure it is not cracking.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2009 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Since you have it all apart, make sure to inspect your fuel filler rubber neck and make sure it is not cracking.

Good idea. Thank you.
my86fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2009 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for my86fieroSend a Private Message to my86fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow awsome job so far... 2
dudewithoutfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey jim i didn't think you were going to take the rear clip off?
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's looking very very good Jimmy!
Happy to see that you're not cutting any corners and your're doing it right.
It's all in the details.
You'll be justifiably proud of the car when it's done.
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And to think I was just hanging by the pool that day...

I thought I remember hearing... "nah... I am not going to mess around with the rear clip or roof skin..." Better get working on that roof skin... time's tickin'... Not like it seems to take you long to do this stuff for some reason.

Thanks again for the scoops, I ended up giving them to my parents to bring back when they drive home in a couple of weeks, they never would have fit in the overhead on the plane we had.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dudewithoutfiero:

hey jim i didn't think you were going to take the rear clip off?

And to think I was just hanging by the pool that day...

I thought I remember hearing... "nah... I am not going to mess around with the rear clip or roof skin..." Better get working on that roof skin... time's tickin'... Not like it seems to take you long to do this stuff for some reason.

Thanks again for the scoops, I ended up giving them to my parents to bring back when they drive home in a couple of weeks, they never would have fit in the overhead on the plane we had.

Originally, I planned on taking the rear clip off. Then I debated it and decided not to. Then when I had to remove the headliner, A-Pillar and B-Pillars just to take out the sun roof tracks, I got this big boost of ambition from somewhere and figured since I went this far, why not go all the way.

The roof skin is a piece of cake. I have it stripped already. It will get primed today. I will have it sanded for paint by tonight and then tomorrow it will get painted and cleared. That gives it 6 days to cure before they come on the 1st to install the new windshield. I should have the rear clip done by then also. I should have the whole car done by the end of July. I want to send pics to the Fiero Store for the 2010 Calendar and they have to be submitted by August 1st. No time to waste.

As for the scoops... Did your wifey get mad cause you spent the money? LOL
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope... I just explained to her that it was a good deal cause they were on sale and no shipping cost and such and she actually agreed. I love it when a plan comes together... a.k.a. I lucked out.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jimmy ~ the car is coming along great! I'm amazed to see how much nicer the entire front compartment looks now.

What kind of paint & gun are you using?

Nope... I just explained to her that it was a good deal cause they were on sale and no shipping cost and such and she actually agreed. I love it when a plan comes together... a.k.a. I lucked out.

LMAO ~ My wife has definitely heard those stories too

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Blueiii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueiiiSend a Private Message to BlueiiiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't tell if the windshield was already out or not. Would you want to remove the old windshield, then paint, then install the new windshield? That way any paint seems would be covered by the windshield seal?
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blueiii:

I couldn't tell if the windshield was already out or not. Would you want to remove the old windshield, then paint, then install the new windshield? That way any paint seems would be covered by the windshield seal?

Not to jump in on someone else's build thread... but you need to remove the windshield molding, not necessarily the windshield itself unless you're going to replace it anyway. Either way - it's easiest to paint with a piece of glass in place (easier to mask off the opening). Then replace the molding when the paint job is done!

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 06-24-2009).]

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Jimmy ~ the car is coming along great! I'm amazed to see how much nicer the entire front compartment looks now.

What kind of paint & gun are you using?

Thanks

I am using a Kobalt HVLP from Lowes. It seems to be working just fine for a middle of the road priced gun.

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JimmyS

4666 posts
Member since Apr 2006
Roof all sanded and ready for primer...

Primed...

I will get the primer sanded tonight and be ready for paint and clear tomorrow.
1986Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986FieroSend a Private Message to 1986FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job on your paint man. Hope it comes out great. It is so far. Thats almost the same color i'm doing mine.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The roof is now Blue...

Next up will be the rear clip. I will start sanding on it tomorrow. If all goes well, it will be blue on Monday.
PFF
System Bot
GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Jimmy. I was I had your ambition.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy s**** S im diggin it. did you ever get thoes turn signals. I sent you all the ones I have left.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GODFATHER:

Looking good Jimmy. I was I had your ambition.

All I can say right now is... "It's probably a good thing that I don't own a sawzall and a welder" !!!

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Holy s**** S im diggin it. did you ever get thoes turn signals. I sent you all the ones I have left.

Yes I got them. Thank you.
dudewithoutfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All I can say right now is... "It's probably a good thing that I don't own a sawzall and a welder" !!!

do I sense a chop top if you did

------------------
i wish i could change my screenname. as i have a fiero

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dudewithoutfiero:

do I sense a chop top if you did

Lets put it this way... If I owned a sawzall and a welder, my car would be 3 inches shorter.

I keep repeating that old saying... "Good things come to those who wait".

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 06-26-2009).]

ktthecarguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 167
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ktthecarguyClick Here to visit ktthecarguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ktthecarguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! I really like that shade of blue.
GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lets put it this way... If I owned a sawzall and a welder, my car would be 3 inches shorter.

I keep repeating that old saying... "Good things come to those who wait".

I'm on my way, sawzall and welder already loaded on truck. LOL
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GODFATHER:

I'm on my way, sawzall and welder already loaded on truck. LOL

DON'T TEASE ME!
labbe001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so doing this piece by piece and at different times, are you having any trouble with your colors matching? i've been told that it's best to paint all sections at one time even if they are off of the car b/c eventhough you are using the same paint, the various elements (temp, humidity, etc.) will have an affect on exact color match...i plan on painting my vehicle myself and thought i would use the same method as you...
also, when sanding the roof, did you use just a DA sander or did you sand by hand? what grit paper did you use? in getting into those hard to reach spots, would it be ok to sand by hand?
i also noticed that you had two guns..what is the difference in the two and what purpose does each serve?

btw, good job...car looks great.

[This message has been edited by labbe001 (edited 06-26-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay