Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Building a sport luxury interior + other mods (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Building a sport luxury interior + other mods by Chris_86GT
Started on: 04-01-2009 11:03 AM
Replies: 259 (51948 views)
Last post by: deloreanant on 08-25-2016 12:43 AM
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_86GT:

I am thinking to change the gauges face plate to something like this..
I will have to move the four small gauges to the bottom of the plate, what do you think?

This one looks very similar to the Firebird gage assembly - but this one looks photoshopped, what did it look like before?
IP: Logged
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is the interior I am going to...

I am searching for the air vents, 2000 Audi a6 has very similar but I don't like that the left side is smaller than the right. If a PFF member knows another car that has the air vents I am looking for, please post me the link.

Thats a cool interior...I can't wai to see your finished product...wwhen i do my rebuild I will keep everything you do in mind
Chris_86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

This one looks very similar to the Firebird gage assembly - but this one looks photoshopped, what did it look like before?

You have right Mickey_Moose, its form Firebird (European version 260kph). I has thinking to extend the speedometer to 320.. just playing with MS Paint to see how it will look like. :-)
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know much about sound setup, can you explain the reasons why not to use the dash speakers? It's only the acoustic in the car that will be affecting or there are other reasons?

Thanks in advance, Chris.

Yeah ever since the 90s the thinking has been that for better imaging that you need to get the speakers as far away from your ears as possible. Which putting them in the lower part of the door achieves that. The tweeters still need to be up high though.

Modifying the firebird cluster seems tedious but possible. The odometer will continue to function at something like 500 Km/hr equivalent, so I think that if you mechanically allowed the speedometer gauge more movement it would register properly.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Yeah ever since the 90s the thinking has been that for better imaging that you need to get the speakers as far away from your ears as possible. Which putting them in the lower part of the door achieves that. The tweeters still need to be up high though.

Modifying the firebird cluster seems tedious but possible. The odometer will continue to function at something like 500 Km/hr equivalent, so I think that if you mechanically allowed the speedometer gauge more movement it would register properly.

Thank you jscott1!
I think for now I will leave the speakers on the dash; fitting 6x9 to the doors will require cutting and I don’t want to do that right now,
maybe in the future I will change my mind and do it.

larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2009 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Instead of cutting into the doors, try what Synthesis is doing in his thread:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/075402.html
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by larini74:

Instead of cutting into the doors, try what Synthesis is doing in his thread:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/075402.html

Thanks larini74,
Actually I was thinking to mount 4 inches speakers to the door panels but it’s just a thought. My 6x9 plays really loud and I think that they will cover the sound from the small speakers on the doors.
When the time comes I will think about it, now I am building the center console and the gauges pod.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best sound reproduction comes from using all round speakers and separate components i job one speaker, and 6x9's have a louder over all response due the longer shape then a regular speaker. These types of speaker are used to make up for deficient factory sound system design, and any irregular shaped speakers introduce distortion in the sound wave. The easiest way to explain this is ripples in still water when you throw a stone into it you get circular ripples. If you throw an oblong object into the water you will get a ripple that is initially odd in shape and then smoothing out as it expands out from its center. The oblong object's ripples are what the sound wave looks like when using irregular sized speakers. You have done an incredible job with the interior glass work it would be a shame not to incorporate an improved sound stage into the vehicle. If it's worth doing its worth doing right.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks larini74,
Actually I was thinking to mount 4 inches speakers to the door panels but it’s just a thought. My 6x9 plays really loud and I think that they will cover the sound from the small speakers on the doors.
When the time comes I will think about it, now I am building the center console and the gauges pod.

I would also recommend swapping the windows motors as well if you are going to cut into the door - it gives you a lot more room to work with.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:

The best sound reproduction comes from using all round speakers and separate components i job one speaker, and 6x9's have a louder over all response due the longer shape then a regular speaker. These types of speaker are used to make up for deficient factory sound system design, and any irregular shaped speakers introduce distortion in the sound wave. The easiest way to explain this is ripples in still water when you throw a stone into it you get circular ripples. If you throw an oblong object into the water you will get a ripple that is initially odd in shape and then smoothing out as it expands out from its center. The oblong object's ripples are what the sound wave looks like when using irregular sized speakers. You have done an incredible job with the interior glass work it would be a shame not to incorporate an improved sound stage into the vehicle. If it's worth doing its worth doing right.

I think our cars have a lot of road noise in the interior and a quality sound system will not be able to overcome this. I get your point with the round speakers, I will seriously think about it, although I am very pleased with the sound of my speakers; I am not looking for high fidelity sound in my car. If I was looking for perfection I will definitely go with round speakers.

Thank you very much Macs86GT for your reply
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They sure do have alot of road noise. I was just suggesting that route. In now way did i mean you choice of speakers was wrong or inferior they use them for a reason. I used to design auto and car stereos so i tend to be really anal about how and what. I haven't even gotten into reworking the speaker locations in my car yet. I would recommend adding some dynamat like material into the interior it helps. Best of luck with the dash its looking great.
PFF
System Bot
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:

They sure do have alot of road noise. I was just suggesting that route. In now way did i mean you choice of speakers was wrong or inferior they use them for a reason. I used to design auto and car stereos so i tend to be really anal about how and what. I haven't even gotten into reworking the speaker locations in my car yet. I would recommend adding some dynamat like material into the interior it helps. Best of luck with the dash its looking great.

A sound professional will tell you what the best solution is for the sound setup and I really appreciate your suggestions, but my budget is low and I can’t afford to spend more money to my sound system. I am sure other PFF members will find the info very useful.

Please fell free to post your comments I always listen to people and if I like an idea and I can afford it I will go for it.
Copper85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2009 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Copper85GTSend a Private Message to Copper85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might try this link to find linear actuators for your screen:

http://firgelliauto.com/

[This message has been edited by Copper85GT (edited 04-24-2009).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2009 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Copper85GT:

You might try this link to find linear actuators for your screen:

http://firgelliauto.com/

Thanks!

The linear actuators are perfect for my screen.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2009 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last weeks progress...

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 09-08-2014).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2009 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chris,

I am going to be building a pair of custom dashes soon and was wondering what is that material you were using to craft and cover the dash just prior to fiberglassing ? Some type of plaster or foam ?

Also the brown material you are using as templates, throughout the build, is that cardboard, MDF, or something else ?

Oh and BTW your dash and side scoops look fantastic ! Keep the pics and progress coming.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 05-05-2009).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2009 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think a ford fusion has the same vents?

edit to add picture:

Wow the dash has the SAME shape too!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-05-2009).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Chris,

I am going to be building a pair of custom dashes soon and was wondering what is that material you were using to craft and cover the dash just prior to fiberglassing ? Some type of plaster or foam ?

Also the brown material you are using as templates, throughout the build, is that cardboard, MDF, or something else ?

Oh and BTW your dash and side scoops look fantastic ! Keep the pics and progress coming.

I had some tiles glue lying around and I used this to form the dash. I use cardboard for the dash and mdf for the center console, if you want a straight part then use mdf cardboard is good only for curves.
I am not a professional, its my hobby, I am sure there are other methods to make a mold, but the stuff I used are cheap and I don’t mind the extra time I have to spent.

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_86GT

305 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by mattwa:

I think a ford fusion has the same vents?

Wow the dash has the SAME shape too!

Thanks mattwa,
I will check this out.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2009 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any new work?
PFF
System Bot
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2009 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IVANNATINKLE:

any new work?

I am working on the passenger side right now and trying to finish the centre console.
I will take some pics of the progress this weekend...
jpfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2009 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpfieroSend a Private Message to jpfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if you already have the screen mechanisim figured out, but a friend of mine used an old cd drive from a pc. If that will work for you it's cheap/free.

Nice work, looks like you have lots of ambition!

------------------
*Formerly RockChip*
'86 GT 4spd, 3400v6, megasquirt2 v3, 11.25" brakes
'92 AWD Astro, 4 "lift kit, flopro muffler
'01 yz426f

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2009 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jpfiero:

Not sure if you already have the screen mechanisim figured out, but a friend of mine used an old cd drive from a pc. If that will work for you it's cheap/free.

Nice work, looks like you have lots of ambition!

I have tried the cd drive mechanism but it can’t hold the weight of the screen. A forum member suggested the linear actuators, its perfect for the screen but they cost around 70 bucks. I haven’t decided yet what I will do.

Yes working the interior and exterior at the same time is very time consuming but the good think is that I will be able to make all the thinks that I have in mind. It will take more time than I originally planed but I don’t want to rush thinks. You can’t tell from the current pics what will be the outcome of the interior, but I know at the end you will love it.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2009 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More progress

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for an update on that stufff!!! looks sweet love the dash* would you ever make another one to sell?
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IVANNATINKLE:

bump for an update on that stufff!!! looks sweet love the dash* would you ever make another one to sell?

Things go slow right now, lack off free time. Maybe this weekend I will have something…
When I will finish my car I will think about making copies of the interior if there is enough interest.
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2009 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will definitely be interested!!!

GOOD Job dude! Bump for ya :-)
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gauges pod

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 09-02-2014).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_86GT

305 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Door trim

I have a question. What lubrication shall I use for the windows guides or just leave them clean?

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like to use lithium grease, as it doesn't attack rubber, and is EXTREMELY water resistant.
PFF
System Bot
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last progress pics of the interior…

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
still waiting to see some finished product!!, looks real good so far.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2009 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're looking for recent inspiration... A few places on the internet has the Aston Martin Rapide production interior posted.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I admire your lack of fear in tackling seemingly anything you desire to tackle!

I am curious your background, did you go to school for any of this? Do it on any jobs?

Also time, how much time did you need to devote to this?

Very nice stuff.

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2009 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any more dash news?
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The interior is on hold till I finish the exterior mods and painting the car. I have spent my vacations trying to finish the exterior fiberglass parts and get the car ready for paint. Monday I will be back to work, but I believe that in two weeks I will finish the exterior…

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 08-21-2009).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_86GT

305 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by 2.5:

I admire your lack of fear in tackling seemingly anything you desire to tackle!

I am curious your background, did you go to school for any of this? Do it on any jobs?

Also time, how much time did you need to devote to this?

Very nice stuff.

Well it was a big step for me to start this and I have learned a lot during the process. It’s not my job and I haven’t gone to school to learn fiberglassing, constructions or painting. Youtube video help me for the start and after was the experience I gain every time I was working with fiberglass. I have learned the hard way; the best is to have a professional friend to guide you how to work.

Well my father is a carpenter and when I was little I was helping him so I have inherited some of his skills ;-)

This is very time consuming, I have spent all of my weekends and daily 1-2 hours after work, estimated time so far over 700 hours…

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 08-22-2009).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some pics of the almost finished exterior panels.

I only used gelcoat to make all the necessary corrections to the parts. It takes more time but I didn’t want to use any other material. From the first molds I did a lot of changes so this delayed the whole project. I also didn’t want to make any damage to my original panels so this was another thing that delayed me.

Now I have to make correction to the molds because Kostarossa wants the exterior package.

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 09-08-2014).]

ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2009 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do not give up! Bump! :-)
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock