Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Building a sport luxury interior + other mods (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Building a sport luxury interior + other mods by Chris_86GT
Started on: 04-01-2009 11:03 AM
Replies: 259 (51955 views)
Last post by: deloreanant on 08-25-2016 12:43 AM
Chris_86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello PFF members,

I like very much the interior of my Fiero, but the time has come and I have started building my dream interior.
Project started on Christmas holidays and my plan is to finish it June or first days of Julie. I am working on this 2-3 hours daily and weekends.
Any suggestions will be appreciated, so fell free to comment my work.

This is how it started; I fixed my door hinges first

Next victim the interior…

And started with an old dash I have spare...

More progress

I will post more pics the next days.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, looking pretty good. Keep posting pics... we all LOVE pics... !

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

Unsafe At Any Speed

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's looking pretty good, especially considering you're starting with the ugly stock dash unit. My only suggestion thus far would be that when you attack the center HVAC/radio section, that it 'flows' down into the center console at some sort of a sweeping angle. If that makes any sense at all. Anyway, looking forward to what you come up with. Add some modern touches/features while you're at it.

------------------

My Build Thread

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like your wheels!

What brand, model, size?
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
keep them coming can't wait to see it done!!!
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

I like your wheels!

What brand, model, size?

Hi KurtAKX,

The wheels was from the previous owner, he called them Mac Laren wheels, I did a quick search on Google but didn’t find them…

Tires on them all around 225/50/15 I don't know for sure if the are 7 or 8 Inches they must be 8''.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_86GT

305 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by Unsafe At Any Speed:

It's looking pretty good, especially considering you're starting with the ugly stock dash unit. My only suggestion thus far would be that when you attack the center HVAC/radio section, that it 'flows' down into the center console at some sort of a sweeping angle. If that makes any sense at all. Anyway, looking forward to what you come up with. Add some modern touches/features while you're at it.

If I understand correct you suggest something like this?

Edit...

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 04-02-2009).]

Unsafe At Any Speed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_86GT:

If I understand correct you mean something like this?

Word.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Unsafe At Any Speed:

Word.

Next time I will not use words that I am not sure about them… LOL

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 04-02-2009).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_86GT

305 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Here is something else I am working on…

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The dash is finished and ready for fiberglass.

PFF
System Bot
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_86GT

305 posts
Member since Apr 2008

When I removed the fiberglass mold an unpleasant surprise was waiting for me.
Almost on every corner of the mold the gel coat was shrinking and I spend few days repairing the mold.
Anyway for first time wasn’t so bad, the good think is that I have learned from my mistakes…

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 04-03-2009).]

Neolithic Shadow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neolithic ShadowClick Here to visit Neolithic Shadow's HomePageSend a Private Message to Neolithic ShadowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very cool so far, i shall be watching ^_^. Will you be making a glove box or small storage section on the pass. side of the dash?
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neolithic Shadow:

very cool so far, i shall be watching ^_^. Will you be making a glove box or small storage section on the pass. side of the dash?

Yes, there is plenty of room over there and I will make a glove box.
Behind the glove box I will mount my carpc .
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hmm...

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Test fitting of the mold with the firebird gauges…

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks like your going to be fitting 6x9's up front.... NICE!

------------------
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

looks like your going to be fitting 6x9's up front.... NICE!

Yes, you are right. A motive to start my dash build was my speakers; I couldn’t mount the 6x9 speaker on the driver’s side, not enough room…

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 04-03-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a 6x8 then? or is it too shallow?

------------------

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, you are right. A motive to start my dash build was my speakers; I couldn’t mount the 6x9 speaker on the driver’s side, not enough room…

Conventional wisdom is that the speakers shouldn't be in the dash in the first place. They belong in the door with just the tweeters up top.

But the dash is looking very nice. Especially the firebird gauges. I'll be interested to see whay your gauge pod looks like.

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

a 6x8 then? or is it too shallow?

I didn’t check for the 6x8 because I already had the 6x9 JBL GTO937.
Now with the new dash I am building I have plenty of room…

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 04-06-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Conventional wisdom is that the speakers shouldn't be in the dash in the first place. They belong in the door with just the tweeters up top.

But the dash is looking very nice. Especially the firebird gauges. I'll be interested to see whay your gauge pod looks like.

I don’t know much about sound setup, can you explain the reasons why not to use the dash speakers? It’s only the acoustic in the car that will be affecting or there are other reasons?

Thanks in advance, Chris.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_86GT

305 posts
Member since Apr 2008
The dash out of the mold...

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_86GT

305 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Test fitting the dash with the 6x9 JBL GTO937.
At the center console will be an 8inch touch screen that will move up about 2inches to appear from her nest…

I want your help for the mechanism that will move the screen up and down.
Electric?
Hydraulic?
Post your ideas on how this can work, or even better a kit that I can buy and will need little modifications.

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always liked the GPS system in the DB9, I had the chance to sit in one in the dealership. Very nice.

Here are some links.

Shopping for electric motors

Aston Martin Mechanism (Video not mine)

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 04-06-2009).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HC:

I've always liked the GPS system in the DB9, I had the chance to sit in one in the dealership. Very nice.

Here are some links.

Shopping for electric motors

Aston Martin Mechanism (Video not mine)

My inspiration for the dash is the DB9 and the Rapide. I am going very close to these interiors.

The DB9 has a mechanism that rotates the screen; I am looking for a mechanism that will move up and down the screen not just electric motors. Thanks anyway for the links.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is something else that is ready for the final touches…

Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work.

Let me know if you want to trade those shabby, knock off, sad looking, aftermarket wheels for some authentic, Factory Issue, goes a lot faster, genuine 88GT lace wheels. :-)

Steve

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2009 05:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steve25:

Nice work.

Let me know if you want to trade those shabby, knock off, sad looking, aftermarket wheels for some authentic, Factory Issue, goes a lot faster, genuine 88GT lace wheels. :-)

Steve

Even if I want it to there is a big problem, shipping to Greece must be forbidding… ;-)

Chris
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2009 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_86GT

305 posts
Member since Apr 2008
I would like to have your feedback for the center console.
For the clock I am thinking something like this, it’s from Nissan Infiniti.

For the switches I have found this Savage switches, they are illuminated blue.

And for the Hazard switch.

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 09-05-2014).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2009 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a few factory cars that have a similar mechanism:
Infinity G35
Caddilac CTS (or something similar, it's in '08+ rental fleets <-- Pretty much what GM does these days, Rental fleets. )
(I like the Caddilac mechanism, it doesn't completely retract, but leaves about 1" tall screen visible, which will show your radio station+other info)

edit: found a video of the Caddilac mechanism:

Volvo V70

If I can think of more, I'll post them. (I see hundreds of cars a day in my job, and most of them are great inspiration for Fiero mods. )

You could probably scratch-build a mechanism as well.
Check www.mp3.com forums for build ideas.

If you still haven't decided on tweeters/tweeter placement, have you seen this:

A shot of the whole system in an Audi S8

(yes, it really DOES sound this good in person, or even better. I heard it in the Audi S8, Q6-SUV, A5. Best stereo I've ever heard in a car. Totally balanced, nothing overpowers, no distortion)

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 04-08-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2009 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

There are a few factory cars that have a similar mechanism:
Infinity G35
Caddilac CTS (or something similar, it's in '08+ rental fleets <-- Pretty much what GM does these days, Rental fleets. )
(I like the Caddilac mechanism, it doesn't completely retract, but leaves about 1" tall screen visible, which will show your radio station+other info).........

Thank you Austrian Import,
the Cadillac CTS mechanism is perfect.
Do you know where I can find one? I will search on the internet but if you have something in mind please sent me the link.
And the Audi S8 is very nice but I want to keep the cost down…

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Left side ready...

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

that looks badass man!

------------------

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you Austrian Import,
the Cadillac CTS mechanism is perfect.
Do you know where I can find one? I will search on the internet but if you have something in mind please sent me the link.
And the Audi S8 is very nice but I want to keep the cost down…

I'll keep my eyes peeled for one. :thumsup:

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like what you have done so far, check out my 85 GT interior.

http://img.villagephotos.co...09-4/1338362/2083156
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

I like what you have done so far, check out my 85 GT interior.

http://img.villagephotos.co...09-4/1338362/2083156

I have seen the build up of your interior, very nice!
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_86GT

305 posts
Member since Apr 2008
This is the interior I am going to...

I am searching for the air vents, 2000 Audi a6 has very similar but I don't like that the left side is smaller than the right. If a PFF member knows another car that has the air vents I am looking for, please post me the link.

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 06-11-2012).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2009 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am thinking to change the gauges face plate to something like this..
I will have to move the four small gauges to the bottom of the plate, what do you think?

Or move only the battery gauge (I don't really like it like this), or delete it..

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 04-17-2009).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump,
Any ideas?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay