Don Kraus's 427 LSX Update by Don Kraus
Started on: 06-08-2008 12:13 PM
Replies: 277 (39941 views)
Last post by: davylong86 on 02-11-2016 03:08 PM
Don Kraus

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's and update for everyone on the 427 LSX project with a buildt 4T65E transaxle with 3:69 gears.And no Shawn my cars don't blow up like yours,thats why it takes a little longer to build it right the first time.The 621 HP was on an engine dyno,not a chassis dyno.But it was just straight HP with no tuning just a base line.We feel with tuning in the car after breakin we will get over 600HP at the wheels.As you can see this isn't just an engine transplant,its a complete rebuild of the entire car.Everything has been taken off the car and rebuildt or replaced,as you can see it now has an IMSA body kit on it.The car is being buildt like my Aldino was to be streetdriven, dragrace and run roadcourses.Thats tough to do and it takes a lot of thought and investigation and time to do it right.You can see in the picture if you look close that it has Wilwood Dynolite four piston brakes on it with 11 inch rotors.It also has coil overs in the rear with adjustable struts and a adjustable shocks in front.That way I can change real easy for the kind of driving I want to do,street, drag or roadrace.The car will also be air conditoned and be completly streetable for the Hot Rod power tour next year.I'm hoping to make it to the 25th but it will be close and it won't be ready for racing there as it will need breakin and tuning and I will need to drive it a bit to find out its personality.Wait until you see the paintjob this is going to get,it will be wild.
Hey,Fiero-X ,I gave you a window to beat my times,whats happening?

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like I said in the other Thread going on---Cant wait to see the finished product and sure it will not fall short of its expectations. Whos widebody kit are you using?
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got it from Fiero warehouse,takes a lot of glass work to get it on.But it should be worth it when its done.It took a lot longer than I thought it would.
Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! I'd kill just for a shop like that.
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im still here. ive just been really busy with the shop, my job, and my girlfriend. Car is done though. Im driving it to topeka tomorrow to meet up with the power tour. Might give it a pass at heartland park, but dont expect much other than mph cause im doing so on my normal ol street tires. I need to get some slicks here in the next week or so, and itll be go time.
TiredGXP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the body kit. This is going to be an awesome vehicle when you're finished.

Any details on what was done to the tranny to handle that much torque?

Cheers

**EDIT** I was wondering how you were going to get behind the wheel with that roll cage. On second look, it appears that the door bars are removable, true?

[This message has been edited by TiredGXP (edited 06-08-2008).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Don Kraus:

Here's and update for everyone on the 427 LSX project with a buildt 4T65E transaxle with 3:69 gears.

Nice. I'll need to save this thread as my favorite. Question, what's the name of the company that beefed-up the tranny?

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

zetabird

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good work don you do an amasing job and it dose take time to build them right for every body that says our cars cant be fast i show them the vids of you aldino
Billybo455

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds like you are trying to step the game up quite a bit! looks great though. how long until you think it's ready to run down the strip? i'd be willing to trailer my car somewhere to do some shake down passes. be neat to have two ten second fieros chasing each other down the track.... let me know.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow!
Impressive!

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had ZZP do the transaxle this time,should be able to handle in excess of 800 HP.I'm looking at Sept or Oct to go to the dragstrip.Its a 2007 Impala SS transaxle.
The shop is pretty nice,its 32 X 36 ft,heated,cable TV,restroom,water and most of all a lot of room.My last car I buildt in an unheated two car carage.
Fiero-X,good to see you giving your car a little breakin time,good luck on your runs.
The roll bar does swing out and then has a pin in it once you close it.
Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

[This message has been edited by Don Kraus (edited 06-08-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow What are you doing for axles? Any more pics of the underbody and suspension setups? Is the suspension setup in the front the stock 84-87 setup with the adjustable shocks and bigger brakes (or is that an 88, I can't tell from the pics)? Hope to see it at the 25th!

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RWDPLZ,its an 88 chasis and I'll be using coil overs in back,I'll post more pictures as it goes together.I'm using the 2007 impala V8 axles,It looks like they will fit with no modifications and they are more heavy duty than than regular ones,they have 8 balls in the outside cv joint versea 6 as an example and real beafy axles.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! This would be my dream Fiero. Nice LS power and widebody. Hope you finish it soon. Would be great!

I wonder why the V8 troll is not here already....

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 4 speed Auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking great Don !!! You don't plan on taking any prisoners with that beast !
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is one to watch as well. Great Job

------------------

Indy#64~FieroNews~Boots~Bag s~Wallets~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~

TiredGXP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

I wonder why the V8 troll is not here already....

Sure, jinx a good thread, why don't you?

Cheers
Billybo455

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'm a v8 troll :P archie called me that once. ha ha.

like i said though. i'm serious if you want to do the drag racing thing. i'm always up for vacations!
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW
This is going to be one sweet ride, the craftsmanship, layout, and planning shows.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesnt look like a LSX to me, but a ls1/2/7 block. (LSX = iron block, LSx=built alum block)

I dont think you need to worry about using the impala axles, changing the knuckles out just to use a 8ball outer joint is not worth the trouble unless your running faster than high 8's. "MY" axles are in the ZZP TTGT car, and they are just a stock OEM axle modded to fit the length you need. We used 6ball outers, both sides were from a berreta passenger side, with IIRC the passenger side of the car getting the tripot moved down the shaft and a new clip milled in.

At least we dont need to worry about the trans, or the motor breaking now, its great to actually start having to focus time on making the car move out, instead of making power without exploding.

Who made the adapter plate? Those mounts are identical to the ones I am going to be making here in a few days 84-87 cradle bushings I suspect?
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job Don.

Got any pics of it from the other side? I'd like to see how the LS7 exhaust manifold fits on that side.

Archie
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have additional pics of the cradle and welds? Is the a Fast Fiero adapter plate?
RacerX11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RacerX11Send a Private Message to RacerX11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look's good Don!

Were there any mods required to use the LS4 water pump and accessory drive on the LS7?
R Runner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice job Don! That is going to be a beautiful car when you are done.... and I am sure well built. I am impressed.

Hope to see you at the 25th.

Paul
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Archie,the LS7 will fit on the other side but you need to have a one inch wedge made the lenght of the exhaust to kick out the bottom of manifold to clear the transaxle.Tomorrow I'll take the manifold off and take a picture of it for you.I had the wedge welded to the manifold.I think it would fit with a manual transaxle without the wedge and then run the exhaust pipe sidways like the vette.It actually fits the auto transaxle but the back of the exhaust flange hit the speed senser and I wanted to dump the exhaust straight down to be more efficent.Look on E-Bay under Z06 exhaust and you will see what I mean about the exhaust running sidways and I think that makes the exhaust hit a partial dead end and goofs up the flow.

Madcurl,I worked with Fastfiero on the adapter plate,he now has them available.They're only 1/2 inch thick and you need that to get the engine and transaxle to fit and then you need to get the engine as far to the drivers side as possable.Even then I had to tweek the strut tower a little on the 88 frame to clear the pulleys.

RacerX11,the engine has an LS1 front cover on it and the LS4 water pump assembly fits with no mods.You have to make your own alternater bracket and idler for it and move the top idler above the water pump over to the left a little and then use the idler boss on the left side of the waterpump assy.(facing the engine) for a grooved pulley.You have to remove some aluminum from that boss to make that grooved pulley fit
Don
------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

[This message has been edited by Don Kraus (edited 06-08-2008).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2008 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Archie,the LS7 will fit on the other side but you need to have a one inch wedge made the lenght of the exhaust to kick out the bottom of manifold to clear the transaxle.Tomorrow I'll take the manifold off and take a picture of it for you.I had the wedge welded to the manifold.I think it would fit with a manual transaxle without the wedge and then run the exhaust pipe sidways like the vette.It actually fits the auto transaxle but the back of the exhaust flange hit the speed senser and I wanted to dump the exhaust straight down to be more efficent
Don

Yeah, the LS7 manifold will fit the stick shift without moving it out. We're using 1.75" tube headers from S&P. So it's straight down & out.

Looks like you raised the C-Line of the crankshaft & axle outputs about 2" farther above the cradle to clear the transmission case above the cradle.

Archie
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Yeah, the LS7 manifold will fit the stick shift without moving it out. We're using 1.75" tube headers from S&P. So it's straight down & out.

Looks like you raised the C-Line of the crankshaft & axle outputs about 2" farther above the cradle to clear the transmission case above the cradle.

Archie

It looks like it is mounted flush to bottom the cradle, at least the trans does.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking great Don. But one question. Are you some kind of contortionist? It looks like you will need to be to get in over that rollcage
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Looking great Don. But one question. Are you some kind of contortionist? It looks like you will need to be to get in over that rollcage

Looks like you missed this part from Don...

The roll bar does swing out and then has a pin in it once you close it.

Beautiful work as usual Don. Can't wait to see it completed.

What's with the influx of IMSA bodied cars? Soon, everyone will have one in their garage... And of course, that's a good thing.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IwannaIRM:

Beautiful work as usual Don. Can't wait to see it completed.

What's with the influx of IMSA bodied cars? Soon, everyone will have one in their garage... And of course, that's a good thing.

LOL, true to form I miss a lot.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2008 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's one mighty large engine to be installing in a Fiero! It then gets us to an important question of how much horsepower the stock Fiero frame can tolerate and how much reliability will result. I am assuming that you are reinforcing the frame. Nice job and good luck with the project.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edited because I think my brain was fatigued when I typed it up the first time.

Hey Dennis, I think you brought up a good point on this. Just how much Power/Torque can a Fiero handle. Hypothetically, say you have a bullet proof trans/engine with solid mounts. Ed Parks has found the 88 Cradle will twist badly with just 300lbs of torque, so it needs to be re-enforced, Blair has found that with a 3800SC on an 85 Cradle it should be re-enforced. I found that with repeated abuse on my V8 with the dog bone relocated to the drivers side, it started to crack the frame at the strut tower, and I believe 2 or 3 other cars, both SBC and 4.9 have had similar problems. I know that my suspension crack in the front was again due to repeated abuse, I would go blasting down side roads at WOT and end up hitting a chuck hole hard and eventually broke the upper shock mount. (never bent a rim or blew a tire)

In my personal opinion, the next place we are going to start to see breaking parts, will be the front (forward) side of the cradle where it mounts to the car is will start to show signs of metal fatigue. The rear of the cradle is being pressed into the body on hard launches however those two front cradle bolts are the only 2 bolts holding the entire front of the engine and trans in place. All the load DOWN is being carried by them. They are pretty heavy, but the "sheer force" and strain must be getting to them. I am not talking about just the physical bolts, but the mounts and brackets that the bolts go through.

If 300lbs of torque with constant abuse will break these parts, I could to say 600lbs of torque is going to have them apart in several less passes down the track.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 06-10-2008).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Hey Dennis, I think you brought up a good point on this. Just how much Power/Torque can a Fiero handle. Hypothetically, say you have a bullet proof trans/engine with solid mounts. Ed Parks has found the 88 Cradle will twist badly with just 300lbs of torque, so it needs to be re-enforced, Blair has found that with a 3800SC on an 85 Cradle it should be enforced. I found that with repeated abuse on my V8 with the dog bone relocated to the drivers side, it started to crack the frame at the strut tower, and I believe 2 or 3 other cars, both SBC and 4.9 have had similar problems. I know that my suspension brake in the front was again due to repeated abuse, I would go blasting down side roads WOT and end up hitting a chuck hole hard and eventually broke the upper shock mount. (never bent a rim or blew a tire) Just the repeated WOT throttle and then breaking hard.

In my personal opinion, the next place we are going to start to see breaking parts, will be the head (forward) side of the cradle where it mounts to the car is starting to show signs of metal fatigue. The rear of the cradle is being pressed into the body however on hard launch those to front cradle bolts are the only 2 bolts, holding the entire front of the engine and trans in place. All the load DOWN is being carried by them. They are pretty heavy, but the "sheer force" and strain must be getting to them.

If 300lbs of torque with constant abuse will break these parts, I could to say 600lbs of torque is going to have them apart in several less passes down the track.

Perhaps this is an illustration of the point that when you change one thing it often affects another. I've always maintained that any drivetrain should be designed as a complete system. Don seems like a guy who understands how to build fast Fieros and I would assume that he is taking steps to reinforce the cradle and the attachment points- not really hard when you think about it as its just a matter of additional metal being welded here and there. Don wants to go where no Fiero owner has gone before and I don't doubt that he will succeed.
I would not discount the 300 ft lb max figure given by Ed Parks. Eds been working on Fieros longer than just about anyone and he's seen it all.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bolts are a lot stronger than you give them credit. 300 ft-lbs is not a lot for a bolt designed for 100,000 lbs per square inch.

Usually a stress failure will occur where you have compromised the structure. Like if chunks are taken out of the frame and it's not reinforced.

I would be very surprised if 300 ft-lbs alone would damage a stock cradle. Of couse you pile on other abuse like hiiting chuckholed at WOT you can break something.
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys,I have reinforced and boxed in the engine cradle,touched up welds where needed.I am using 5 motor mounts,big one in back and two on each side all with poly to give the engine and transaxle some flex.I don't believe solid mounts are good because they don't give the system any breathing room.I drove my Aldino and dragraced it for eight years,doing wheelies on just about every run and never cracked or bent anything.This car will weight about 200 lbs less than the Aldino and that will make it easier on the drive train.Also,its an automatic and that has some give in it to help keep things together.If you took that same engine and put a manual trans.behind it,put sticky tires on it,reved it up and poped the clutch I'll guaranty you something eventually would break somewhere.I like to give my equipment as much shock relief as I can so I don't break things.
Time to get back at it,thanks for all the attention and comments.
Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's and update for everyone on the 427 LSX project with a buildt 4T65E transaxle with 3:69 gears.And no Shawn my cars don't blow up like yours,thats why it takes a little longer to build it right the first time. Blah blah blah

WOW ............that's an intersting way to open a thread and reveal your childish ignorance.

If your brain was as big as your mouth you'd figure out that [color =red] ANY [/color] built car will have problems. I guarantee you any wager, that you'll have issues. But then again if you spent less time lipping off & badmouthing other people behind thier back you'd finish more than one project every 6 years.

Mine had issues due to the horses-ass engine builder.............nothing else. Interesting how every piece of " know-it-all " advice was WRONG.

Have you run out of checks yet getting everyone to build that for you ?
Racing_Master

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racing_MasterSend a Private Message to Racing_MasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't believe solid mounts are good because they don't give the system any breathing room.

Well... I believe in solid mounts because of their principal

Everyone knows, at least I hope, Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted. Energy used to compress the rubber or poly mounts is converted, SO, in essence, you lose some power from the poly or rubber mounts. Solids make it so it has to twist the whole car. Problem is that you cannot (I repeat, CANNOT) place ALL solid mounts on an engine and transmission. The engine will twist the chassis, I dont care how well you build it, it will twist it, and if the trannie mount is also solid, at least on longitudinal, it will break the bellhousing off the transmission. Also if you use solid mounts, I can bet it wont be a good car to ride as a daily driver, rattle your bones out all over the place. Can-Am cars used the engines as part of the frame, actually one of my ideas for a Fiero custom frame is having the engine an integral part. Generally speaking, this will make it so 99% of the force produced in the engine gets to the rear wheels. Though it be a miniscule amount that using solids over rubber gives you (probably a fraction of a HP) every hp counts in racing.

By the way, nice lookin car! Should be awesome when its done
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any additional close-up pics of the brakes?
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shawn,looks like you can hand it out but can't take it,pretty childish.The reason I posted that was because you asked in the other thread if I blew it up yet.I was just replying to your statement from the thread of an update on my car.The rest of your statements don't make sense.I don't know why you are so bitter.

Madcurl,I'll get some pictures of the brakes and mounts for you.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HOPEFULLY, this thread does not turn into a war over the motor issue....Keep the updates coming
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock