Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Plates to mount components in dash (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Plates to mount components in dash by fierosound
Started on: 01-29-2007 08:03 PM
Replies: 45 (7463 views)
Last post by: PatrickTRoof on 08-13-2014 04:10 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is how the Infinity components fit into the 4"x10" dash opening. 5.25" woofer and 1" tweeter
Woofers with BIG magnets can cause clearance problems with the HVAC duct on the driver's side.
It may be necessary to heat the duct with a heat gun and bend it in slightly.

This is how the Infinity components fit into the 4"x10" dash opening. 5.25" woofer and 1" tweeter on a speaker plate made from 3/16" hardboard.

I've done up a template that can be used to cut out dash plates. The hardboard can be pretty fragile, especially around the 5.25" cutout, so alternative materials such as 1/4" ABS plastic could be used.

The file is in MS Word format and will print in proper scale on regular letter size paper.
DOWNLOAD the file from here: http://www.fierosound.com/speaker%20plate.doc

Let us know how this works out for you...

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-10-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to do this but im a little incompetent on audio so how would you hook both of these speakers up on one channel? Thanks for the template.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by daniel87fierogt:

I want to do this but im a little incompetent on audio so how would you hook both of these speakers up on one channel? Thanks for the template.

Any component set will come with a passive crossover - 2 wires in, 4 wires out.
2 to the woofer, 2 to the tweeter. This is the Infinity KAPPA 50.7CS set I installed.

The woofer has a Neodymium magnet and heatsink. Very compact.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-16-2010).]

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2007 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sitting around reading links and I decided to print out your template, I gotta say the time you put into this shows in the quality.

Very impressive, +4U.

Steve

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

Some helpful links I've done
How to remove inner door panels, with pics.
How to remove outer door panels, with pics.
How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics.
How to remove rear bearing hubs, with pics.
How to modify the stock Fiero radio for MP3 players, with pics.
How to come up with the right coolant hoses for that engine swap...With Pics.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2007 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierohoho:

I gotta say the time you put into this shows in the quality. Very impressive, +4U.

Thanks. Cut one out of cardboard first. It gives you a good idea of how it fits in the dash. Have fun!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does this sound compared to a quality 4x10 coaxial?
Also, how does a good 4x6 plate compare to a 4x6 coaxial?

thanks.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Knight:

thanks.

I had the same question. How do they compare to having Sony Xplod's (don't like the brand for speakers) or Pioneer 4"x10"? Or 4"x6"?

I'm assuming 2-way is needed to have a decent range and sound quality from the speakers.. Right?

-M
vortecfiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will a 6" or a 6 x 9 fit under this area in the dash with adapter plate holding it to the bottome of the dash ?

------------------

87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6
Bully Stage 2 clutch
Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner
Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Jabasco Intercooler pump
LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system
T31/T04B S4 turbo with a Super T61 in the box
S10 caliper conversion.
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

88FieroForm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroFormSend a Private Message to 88FieroFormEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job you did!!
++ for you

Justin
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Knight:

thanks.

I installed a set on Eclipse 4"x10" tri-axials first. Sounded pretty, good, but these Infinity's blow them out of the water. In general, a quality set of components will produce better, more accurate sound than a co-axial. A round woofer can play louder than an oval speaker with less distortion. Install components for the front and 4"x6" plates for the rear.

The 4"x6" plates will also fit better in the pillar because the space is quite shallow and larger magnets on a co-axial don't always fit (too deep). The space is deeper in the lower section of the pillar behind the speakers. Because the plate mounts the woofer off to one side, mounting the speaker in the pillar with the woofer in the lower side of the opening usually fits.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-03-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
helmet1978

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2007 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for helmet1978Click Here to visit helmet1978's HomePageSend a Private Message to helmet1978Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the template..nice job!

I did this a few years ago with a set of 4" Kappa components. At the time I had access to a laser cutter/engraver so I cut mine out of 1/8" plexiglas and did some decoration with paint and the laser:

You can probably find someone nearby that has one of these lasers that would cut out a pair for you for a reasonable price, especially nice if you compete in any stereo competitions.

~edit~ to add a shot of the 4x6 plates referred to in the thread:

------------------
http://www.raceme.cc/helmet/

[This message has been edited by helmet1978 (edited 04-03-2007).]

sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2007 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perfect timing. Just what I needed. Thanks for the info!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2007 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel an upgrade coming on!

Thanks!

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2007 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
sparx22

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2008 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi
I attempted to download and print the template and I am requested a "password"
Help appreciated
sparx22

Originally posted by fierosound:

This is how the Infinity components fit into the 4"x10" dash opening. 5.25" woofer and 1" tweeter

I've done up a template that can be used to cut out dash plates. I used 3/16" hardboard.

The file is in MS Word format and will print in proper scale on regular letter size paper.
DOWNLOAD the file from here: http://www.fierosound.com/speaker%20plate.doc

Let us know how this works out for you...

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2008 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sparx22:

Hi
I attempted to download and print the template and I am requested a "password"
Help appreciated
sparx22

There's no password attached to the file. Download from the link by "Right-Click - Save As" to save to your machine. After it's saved, opening it should bring in on screen in MicroSoft Word. Do you have MS Word protected?

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There's no password attached to the file. Download from the link by "Right-Click - Save As" to save to your machine. After it's saved, opening it should bring in on screen in MicroSoft Word. Do you have MS Word protected?

Can someone give this guy a + for the hard work and a good idea? - I already had him down for a +++ for the muffler suggestion for my 3800sc engine build
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-16-2010).]

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2010 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the process of doing this with Infinity reference 5.25 and they are not playing nicely. has anyone else had trouble especially on the Drivers side? seem like the back of the instrument panel housing is in the way.
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

just noticed the words printed on there...

-Dave
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

I'm in the process of doing this with Infinity reference 5.25 and they are not playing nicely. has anyone else had trouble especially on the Drivers side? seem like the back of the instrument panel housing is in the way.

Big magnets on those speakers?? Likely hitting the HVAC duct on the back of the dash.
White88Formula had the same problem here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/106287-2.html

Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierosound this may have been asked before but what do you recommend for subs and speakers? im assuming you would recommend the Infinity KAPPA 50.7CS for the speakers...but what about subs? you've read some of my posts and I'm looking for good...for lack of a better word...'' bump '' I want quality base that still punches. I'm beginning to think my 12" comp subs should and would be better used in a different car.

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.
#12 NYFOC Member
In recent times, the custom aftermarket car/automobile roadwheel has become a status symbol. These wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims". The term "rim" is incorrect because the rim is only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted )

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2010 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

...but what about subs? you've read some of my posts and I'm looking for good...for lack of a better word...'' bump '' I want quality base that still punches. I'm beginning to think my 12" comp subs should and would be better used in a different car.

I have 10" Oz Audio subs - not longer available. And since I'm not "in the industry" I have no first hand knowledge on direct comparisons. The industry really screws things up too with over-inflated numbers because it "sounds like MORE" to the uninformed person (using PMP "Peak Music Power" (what it will take/make before it blows up) watts instead of RMS watts). Ignore the BIG numbers, and use the RMS watts ratings whenever matching speakers/subs to amplifier power.

But general guidelines:

- in a Fiero, two 10" subs are plenty AND easier to fit and have a wide selection.
- you DO NOT need 1000 watt subs (likely a PMP rating anyway). 100-250 RMS watts per sub is plenty provided your amp puts out 250 RMS watts per channel. (300 RMS amp to a 250 RMS sub is OK)
- To me - efficiency rating is more important (rating is deciBels per 1 Watt measured from 1 meter away). 89 dB/W/m is more efficient (and louder) than 83 dB/W/m at 1 Watt.

See what the guys in the Subwoofer forum are talking about. Search forum using "small enclosure": http://www.caraudioforum.com/

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-06-2010).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2010 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IFLYR22:

just noticed the words printed on there...

-Dave

I didn't see any words
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2010 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

She really needs to sweep those stairs. All the debris could be a potential hazard. Oh yea.......nice.........color on the sweater in that pic too!
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2010 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

I just printed and cut the plates but also didn't work with the Boston S50 I used. I guess the magnet and depth of those Infinity gotta be very small. At the end I had to move the speakers toward the center. The template is good but don't cut the speaker holes until you measure several times.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2010 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

I guess the magnet and depth of those Infinity gotta be very small.

Yup - BIG magnets may cause a problem. The Infinity 50.7CS I used have a Neodymium magnet and heatsink. Very compact. Some on eBay.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-19-2010).]

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 08-30-2016).]

TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

Tony,

I cut a few sets of your speaker plates out of 3/16" aluminum on a water jet.

MAKE AND SELL THESE!!!!
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheRealShadowX:

MAKE AND SELL THESE!!!!

What he said!
PFF
System Bot
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 08-30-2016).]

RumbleB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RumbleBSend a Private Message to RumbleBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just wondering. If the Fiero sound system was to be redesigned, from scratch. How would one go about doing it? Is there a better speaker placement then the dash? Should speakers be placed in the doors or the foot wells? How about tweeters in the A-pillars?

I'm just rambling! But I would like a better sound stage and I am redesigning the interior of my Fiero. So now would be a good time to figure out speaker placement.

On another note: what is this muffler system that is being talked about? I have a 3800 SC and it is a little to loud.

Thanks!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2012 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I cut a few sets of your speaker plates out of 3/16" aluminum on a water jet.

I noticed you had recommended the Infinity 50.7 which is now discontinued, do you by chance know if the 50.9CS larger magnet will interfere on the driver's side?

Looks very good Will. But I'd have cut the holes after buying the speaker set,
because they should be sized for the tweeter and midrange you will be installing.

There can be fitment problems with larger magnets - interference with the HVAC duct.
Nothing that can't be fixed with a heat gun.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-06-2023).]

TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2012 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That will never happen

Oh, don't be such a tease babe. (Limp wrist flick)

Haha, juuuust kidding, but seriously, how come?
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2012 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks very good Will. But I'd have cut the holes after buying the speaker set,
because they should be sized for the tweeter and midrange you will be installing.

There can be fitment problems with larger magnets - interference with the HVAC duct.
Nothing that can't be fixed with a heat gun.
See here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/106287-2.html

Thanks for the tip on the heat gun Tony I received my speakers Sat. and the components fit perfectly. I have been waiting on the stereo upgrade as my head unit needs be upgraded as well. The rear speakers will be next. I haven't really decided what I am going to do about subs at this point.

Dr. W.

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My Gen III replacement GT trunk seals with solid molded corners are now in production. $95 + $15 flat rate shipping to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) or buy two and pay only a single shipping rate! More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-11-2012 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP

Get plates here --->>> https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/122103.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-15-2012).]

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any component set will come with a passive crossover - 2 wires in, 4 wires out.
2 to the woofer, 2 to the tweeter. This is the Infinity KAPPA 50.7CS set I installed.

what's a good rear 4x6 (infinity, want to stick with the same brand as 507CS) to complement the 5.25?

thanks

[This message has been edited by Tom Slick (edited 04-30-2012).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

what's a good rear 4x6 (infinity, want to stick with the same brand as 507CS) to complement the 5.25?

Refer to this thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090907-2-088293.html
I have a Reference 462.1cf set in my GT - now discontinued. http://www.crutchfield.com/...y-Kappa-462-1cf.html

There's a lot less choice in 4"x6" plates than there used to be. Infinity, Polk Audio, Pioneer are usually good brands.

But magnet size and depth is critical because there is minimal room in the sail panel - TOO BIG a magnet won't fit.

This Pioneer looks good. Anyone using this???
http://www.onlinecarstereo....Ko3q8CFQZ_hwodBEhpBQ

JBL 4x6 plates appear to be really deep (about 1-3/4" maximum will fit)

This INFINITY REF 6432CFP has a monster sized magnet that I don't imagine will fit.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-01-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock