Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Lots of pictures and information for all!! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Lots of pictures and information for all!! by NYRED85GT
Started on: 05-09-2007 08:44 PM
Replies: 79 (14230 views)
Last post by: kevin on 04-01-2020 05:57 PM
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2007 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely making progress ... keep it up, and keep us updated..

Rich

WooHoo ... I own page 2

[This message has been edited by Richjk21 (edited 10-11-2007).]

IP: Logged
NYRED85GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And I'm back once again!

Old wiring harness:

New harness:

New harness ends that need to be spliced to 91'-93' ends:

The two:

Mocked up front engine mount:

Front mount welded:

Dodge mount set in place:

Rear engine mount:

New massive mount that connects the front, middle, and rear mounts to the engine with 6 bolts:

Whole cradle as it sits now:

Stupid cut off wheel:

Removed the strut tower dog bone mount. It isnt really structural since it is not on the other side so I am not too concerned. I will be adding a strut tower brace though:

Next of the to do list is to finish some painting, mount the engine/trans, and tackle the wiring.

Next year:
Full interior (need carpet, headliner, build dash, guages)
New battery and front mount box
Run all coolant lines
Walbro fuel pump
Mount fuel tank
Run fuel lines
Front brake conversion
Run brake lines (have)
Custom headlights
Mount front bumper (have)
Build rear bumper
Front lowering springs
Make sure everything works!
Mount body panels
Drive car?

And once everything works (I hope) add a T4 turbo!! 350hp is the ultimate goal....

Mike

[This message has been edited by NYRED85GT (edited 10-25-2007).]

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW!!!! That really is a labor of love..that Fiero is so lucky ..I vote you for the one that loves Fieros the most
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Erik

5625 posts
Member since Jul 2002
BTW excellent choice on motor
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Erik

5625 posts
Member since Jul 2002

i really like your mod on the right motor mount that ties it in with the center mount ..that will really help stabilize the DOHC ..

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 10-25-2007).]

NYRED85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! The two mounts I welded onto the cradle are not too thick- I wish I had some thicker steel on hand. BUT since they are not acting independently (there are 2 and not just 1) I am not too concerned. I don't need a dog bone mount since the trans has 2 poly mounts and the engine has 1 poly and 2 rubber. The girdle will keep the block from having excessive stress on each individual mounting point since they are all tied together and loads are better shared. Basically the three engine mounts welded together to make a single mount absorbs some of the stress and as the front engine mount is pulled up, the rear is pushed down to share forces equally. I tend to over build things than have to re-do it later when it breaks....

Mike

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NYRED85GT:

Thanks! The two mounts I welded onto the cradle are not too thick- I wish I had some thicker steel on hand. BUT since they are not acting independently (there are 2 and not just 1) I am not too concerned. I don't need a dog bone mount since the trans has 2 poly mounts and the engine has 1 poly and 2 rubber. The girdle will keep the block from having excessive stress on each individual mounting point since they are all tied together and loads are better shared. Basically the three engine mounts welded together to make a single mount absorbs some of the stress and as the front engine mount is pulled up, the rear is pushed down to share forces equally. I tend to over build things than have to re-do it later when it breaks....

Mike

As strong as it is I would not count out a dog bone ...that motor can really move

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Erik

5625 posts
Member since Jul 2002
if it doesn't move then I will definately make mine just like yours
NYRED85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will mount a camera and post a video of when ever I get this thing running to see what kind of movement I get. I left the trunk side mount intact just in case I still needed it and cut out what was in my way of the timing cover. I would just have to add a small re-inforcing strap to the strut tower (like the origional) to keep the trunk wall from bending.

Mike
Lewis87GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lewis87GTSend a Private Message to Lewis87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Viewing your progress has definitely gotten me motivated to get started on my rust issue project. I began taking my car apart about two weeks ago. The rust is not as bad as I contemplated.

I would post some pics, but I don't want to hijack your thread. Watching you do your thing has given me confidence that I can do it too. Keep up the good work and interesting thread, it is appreciated by at least one PFF member.

------------------
You'll have to excuse me, I have FIERO in the brain.

NYRED85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About time you started having "fun" with your car! Start your own thread and PLEASE post pictures. Most of the restoration threads I have seen are by guys who have much more knowledge than the average person and have huge shops with lifts and all that fancy stuff. I would like to see more threads by "average" people. A very easy way to learn is to see what others have done.

To everyone make sure you always:
Wear safety glasses ( I had to buy a new pair because they were dinged up from flying metal wires and debris) and a welding helmet.
Use hearing protection when cutting, grinding, etc. If your ears are ringing that means you already have sustained hearing damage!
Wear gloves when welding, cutting, and grinding. I need to post a pic of how uttery mangled mine are from this project.

Total injuries suffered so far:
The welder has given me 2nd+ degree burns on my left forearm and left calf along with thousands of little splatter burns.
The cut off wheel has gone into my left index finger 5 times, left thumb (see pics above) once, and through my jeans and into the right thigh once.
The wire wheel attachment has gone through the skin (looking at the meat) on my left index finger 2 times and once on the right knee.
I have started my pants on fire once from a huge weld splatter that gave me 3rd degree burns on my right calf.
Think I had a fire on my head once (good thing I keep a short haircut).

Mike

[This message has been edited by NYRED85GT (edited 10-27-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work on a very challenging project! Are you using fluxcore?
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great info/work! I'm planning the same stuff for my 84 only it will be a 3800sc. I have a good amount of rust to fix on it too. Looking forward to seeing more!

------------------
88 Coupe: Modded 4.9L V8 5 speed
87 Coupe: 4 Cyl 5 Speed
84 Coupe: 4 Cyl 4 speed
01 BMW 525i
www.geocities.com/fast88fiero

NYRED85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep I am using either .030 or .035" fluxcore. I would use gas, but I would need to buy the rig for my welder and fill bottles all the time. I would spend a small fortune hehe.

Mike
David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job and thanks for all the great info, or should I say "Greetings from the rust bowl" I'm curious are you grinding your sheet metal welds before painting? I know most of them will never be seen but just wondered. Again, great restoration.
NYRED85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some areas had to get ground down, due to my sometimes bad welding. But mostly just zap it, wire brush the heck out of it, 2+ coats of primer, and 3+ coats of paint. The round wire brush screws onto a hand held angle grinder ($25 grinder at Lowes and $5 round screw on wire brush at Harbor Freight). Just PLEASE wear gloves because every so often it will catch on the piece your are working on and leap at your hand. And without a glove (even with one sometimes) it WILL go through all the skin in a mear moment. I can show you 5 such scars hehe....

Mike
NYRED85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drove out to the junk yard today and pulled the front exhaust manifold off of the only 96-97 3.4 DOHC I could find. Its alittle rusty but will clean up nice. I just have to get those darn AIR tubes off them tomorrow- letting them soak now. There is a 91-95 Monta Carlo too. And 10 Fiero's (mostly 2M4's) in various states of disrepair. Poor cars.....

Mike
recluse

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for recluseSend a Private Message to recluseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good man. I'll have to check it out sometime. The guns too!
Just curious what junkyard? Not that I need any parts right now, but you never know.
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post10-30-2007 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mike

Yes, you do need a dogbone. The motor will move poly or not... and when the poly holds the motor will crack and fracture the front "U" mount. I was forced against my discretion to drive my DOHC without a right side top brace or dogbone. I've been working on my car for the past 2 months trying to fix all of the broken pieces.. It will never leave home again without both lower and top bracing on the right side. The dodge mounts will allow for enough play to fracture the front mount. Of course you could baby it all day long, but I know that your not the type of person to do a halfway job. Do it right. Brace the top.

You also need to weld a piece between your strut tower and trunk wall if you install a dogbone. The trunk wall will separate from the strut towers if not triangulated.

Overall, you have a very nice car coming together. Good luck and try not to cut any more fingers.. *Looks down at battered hands*
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post10-30-2007 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005
I thought I would emphasize the front mount fracturing/shearing. This will be the second time mine has be welded back together.
NYRED85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the car bone yard:
A Able Auto Wrecking
5396 Chew Rd
Sanborn, NY 14132 Map
http://www.yellowpages.com/...e-Auto-Wrecking/maps

Emc209i- Do you have a picture of what you are running for a dogbone mount? I saw a few others and they look to be not too strong and/or not enough attachment points on the block(might crack). I will do some more brain storming when I get the engine back on the cradle and in the car.

Mike

PFF
System Bot
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great info. more please

------------------
Happiness is a choice
[imghttps://images.fiero.nl/pffimages2/kgmjn,.JPG[/img]

bornobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bornobsessedSend a Private Message to bornobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread is awesome, brings back memories.

Great work, way to save another fiero from rust-ville.

This is what should be happening to ALL fieros instead of being shipped off to the big junkyard in the sky, and this is why I can't buy a parts car, because I'd end up with a second fixed up car, and still no parts for my 85 GT.

Keep it up, and keep posting.
NYRED85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone going to this?

July 24 - 27, 2008
Detroit Marriott at Centerpoint,
3600 Centerpoint Parkway, Pontiac MI
You can book your room online, using the group code "fiefiea" (click on link above) or
call the Hotel directly at 248-253-9800 and as for the "Fiero Anniversary" Rate
the rate for this event is $109+tax per night.

Event Highlights

Track Day with Golden Gate Fieros
Tour of GM World Headquarters
Car Show with special guests, DJ & Door Prizes
GM Prototype Display
"Fiero Reunion" Banquet
Professional Pictures of your Fiero with the 25th Logo by Events Photo's LLC
GM Heritage Center Tour
Go Carting with the Heartland Fiero Club
Car Wash on site
Much, Much, More!!!
The Fiero 25th Show is limited to the first 450 Cars, so register EARLY!
Deadline for Pre-regsitration is July 10, 2008

Now I have a deadline I guess.......

Mike
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Removed the strut tower dog bone mount. It isnt really structural since it is not on the other side so I am not too concerned. I will be adding a strut tower brace though:

It is structural. GM SHOULD have put one on the other side. The strut tower reinforcing bar is not tied very well to the strut towers. There are only a few spot welds. That dogbone bracket braces the strut tower to the bar that goes accross the top of the trunk wall. On Fieros with painted engine bays I see cracks forming between the cross bar and the strut tower due to the chassis flexing... especially on one's where the dogbone bracket was removed. I highly recommend welding some plates between the strut tower and the cross beam to keep your chassis from flexing.
There was a thread about this, I think it's in the archives now. I'll post a link here if I can find it.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 02-11-2008).]

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any updates?
NYRED85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Eh nothing to write about really. I am waiting for the weather to get warmer to start working on it again. Too bloody cold hehe...

Parts collected:
Walbro fuel pump
New headliner
brush on bed liner to cover the interior and engine bay (no carpet)
New air horn
1" lowering ball joints
84' front springs
glass sail panels
Poly dog bone bushings to make my own dog bone mount
4 point seat belts
Racing seats

I have to start working on the wiring harness again. I traced the wires and cut apart 2 partial ones to splice into a good one.
Run fuel lines, brake lines, coolant lines (have all)
Install sunroof with new gasket (have)

Need:
Rims ($800) and rubber ($600)
Build fiberglass dash and center console
Buy a Dietmer front bumper if he start selling the new piece
Figure out what I want for a rear bumper
Upgrade front brakes with Grand Am calipers
Alt.
Starter
Battery
Custom up front battery tray
Battery cables
Brake booster ($100)
Buy guages ($500) [gas,battery, coolant temp, boost(next years project), speedo, tach, fuel pressure, oil pressure, air/fuel ratio]
Full dual exhaust with 96' manifolds
Etc....

Well I had hoped to finish it this year. More like next year <= not happy.

Mike

[This message has been edited by NYRED85GT (edited 03-22-2008).]

BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2008 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a great thread any new progress
NYRED85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2008 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mostly finished with the engine wiring harness. Have to build a box and mount the battery in the front, run cables to the rear, and connect to harness. Finish making the seat brackets and mount them. Paint fuel tank, install fuel tank, and install fuel lines. Install brake lines. Install Flywheel. Those are my goals before the end of the year....

[This message has been edited by NYRED85GT (edited 09-04-2008).]

matchmade

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2008 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for matchmadeSend a Private Message to matchmadeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome build, very inspiring work. Living in a high rust area myself I wish I could weld like that. A lot of people would have gave up on a car THAT rusted. + for you for saving one and a detailed inspiring write up.
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some reason I missed this thread last year, + for you for the nice writeup!
PFF
System Bot
NYRED85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for the positive comments. It has been very difficult to find time to work on my car this year. Moved into an apartment and left the car at my girlfriends mothers house (15 minutes away). So between a promotion at work, trying to spend more time with the girlfriend, and the drive to get to the car it has been rough. I have many pictures that I will have to get some time to post one of these days for an update. I am way over due!
86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! great work!
FieAirRo87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2008 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieAirRo87Send a Private Message to FieAirRo87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i hope to see it on the road this summer

havent done much on mine yet

soon hopefully
Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2009 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been a year since the last post. What's happening with this build?

------------------
1988 GT

NYRED85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2009 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well life has happened. I kind of stalled out on it and got tired of working on the car. Then started working on it here and there. Winter last year hit, March this year my now ex girlfriend and me split up so my bills just about equaled my income, just finished moving everything I own into a 10'x20' storage unit, moved back with my parents for December, deploying to Afghanistan in early January. Still have to get the Fiero into storage! Running out of time to do it too....
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2016 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This one needs to be ZOMBIFIED
420ponies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 420poniesSend a Private Message to 420poniesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am about in the same situation on a '88 formula. 3.4 DOHC Motor is out of a '95 gran prix. You doing the harness our getting one made? Can't believe your pretty close to me (upstate N.Y.). build is looking nice!
420ponies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 420poniesSend a Private Message to 420poniesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd really like to know what ever became of this thread. I've been trying to get back to work on mine and I have all the pieces, just need to get it going again.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2020 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here are a couple of new pictures of the cradle and cleaned up transmission. Its actually silver colored and not covered in a thick layer of grease and grime!

mmmm

Synthesis: I have to take another movie when I do the front bushings. I was on my last rear bushing when I thought of taking the movie and it turned out crappy.

I am fascinated on how you built those coil-overs!ill pay you if can tell me. where I can order the parts for my Fiero! Please contact me at: kevinsullivan@frontier.com Or, call me at (916) 600-6482. I would SURE appreciate it๐Ÿ‘
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock