Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Choptop #025 "FIEROciousGT" Build (Page 3)

Printable Version

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: General Fiero Chat.
Choptop #025 "FIEROciousGT" Build by FierociousGT
Started on: 09-05-2007 09:11 PM
Replies: 369 (26453 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 02-27-2009 09:56 AM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2007 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Sorry for the side track.
Archie, do you have any other pics of a widebody notchie, anything like the fastback rear 3/4 shot on your site?

IP: Logged
FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:
Sorry for the side track.
Archie, do you have any other pics of a widebody notchie, anything like the fastback rear 3/4 shot on your site?

Dude, you are monkey wrenching my build thread...Just joking.

Getting back to the build. I did some more research with the Stradale mirrors (F360 Challenge). The guys out at Hong Kong sent these pics of the carbon fiber ones. They mention the quality of the Fiberglass ones are the same just different material and a couple of hundred less. The only issues I have is not folding. I'm going to try to photo chop these mirrors on BlackDeath and Perfect Union to have a better idea before ordering them. Also it seems to me that the stock F360 & F430 mirrors have a similarity to the headlights on the corresponding car. This theory also seems to be the same for the Mercedes Mclaren and the new Ferrari Dino concept headlights and mirrors. So I'm thinking the Stradale mirrors will have a similarity to the headlights (square shape) that I will be using.

troyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^ pm sent
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierociousGT:

Eh, I think you can find some better looking mirrors. They look like a =====D if ya know what I mean.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is another pic... What I do like about them is it has that F1 racing style design. I wish PFF had a POLL feature to get more feedback on these mirrors. Let me photochop them on a Fiero to have a better idea.
//images.fiero.nl/p...EI-F360-BP-STR-M.jpg

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 11-03-2007).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 430 mirror on the Left side of Troy's car sticks out 7-3/8" from the widest point of the door panel in the mirror area.

That means that it sticks out 1/2" wider than the widest point of the rear wheel well.

With a Formula* I've developed, I guarantee that 27.4% of the "NON-CAR" people walking past the car will bump into it as they walk by.

Only 7% of the "CAR" people will walk into it. The difference is that the "CAR" people will be back far enough from the car to admire it.

I'd recommend pivoting mirrors.

As far as the Formula is concerned, you have to have something to do when sitting for long periods at car shows.

Archie

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AutoTech:
Eh, I think you can find some better looking mirrors. They look like a =====D if ya know what I mean.

Here is a quick test with those mirrors. I like them but they don't fold so for the moment I'm going with stock mirrors.

Originally posted by Archie:
As far as the Formula is concerned, you have to have something to do when sitting for long periods at car shows.
Archie

I think it's too much F1 on TV. I got to downgrade to Nascar since they don't have side mirrors.

EDIT:
Found replica F355 mirrors that fold .. Now photo chop again.
I also found this download install guide in M$ Word doc on that forum. I'm sure it needs revisioning for choptops.

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 10-27-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I EDIT:
Found replica F355 mirrors that fold .. Now photo chop again.
I also found this download install guide in M$ Word doc on that forum. I'm sure it needs revisioning for choptops.

Hmm. Interesting find. Question(s). From reviewing the diagram, it appears the a-piller used is a stock Fiero? If so, I hope Archie and the Crew can modify the mirror w/o weakening the mounting area? As for the F360 & F430 (he) kept it as-is.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the only thing that will need to be modify are the holes on Archie's bracket for mounting the F355 mirrors, which a template is included. If not R&D time.

Yes they do fold.

Originally posted on kitcarsforum.com:
Here is the good news, as I get the mirror housing they have a large center area where the it mounts to the bracket. I first designed the bracket to accept this. This weekend I found I can shave this entire part away and make the lower housing flush with the bracket. This makes the bracket easier to build, stronger, and better for adjustability to individual applications. Here are some pictures of what I'm describing. #1 mirror as I get it, #2 first design, #3 new flush design. The last picture is all of the mirrors I have modified flush.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes they do fold.

Thats good news. Question(s). Does the mirrors come with motors or does the kit reuses the stock mirror motors? Are the replicas from across the pond dude, cause one of the companies wouldn't sell me the F360s? I might be prudent to purchase additional driver-side mirror...for insurance. The last thing you don't want to hear is, "We're out of stock."

Yeah, it looks like the metal pattern isn't cut to resemble the choptop's 9 degree angle and may need some R&D?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-27-2007).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He has STAGE 1 w/o motor and mirror for $325 & STAGE 2 w/ motor $475. It uses or you can use the Sebring mirrors & Neon mirror motors.

Originally posted by madcurl:
Yeah, it looks like the metal pattern isn't cut to resemble the choptop's 9 degree angle and may need some R&D?

I don't think we will need those brackets, we should be able to use Archie's but we may need to redrill the hold for the 3 screws/bolts on it.

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, the F355s swing both ways? Sorry, that sounds bisexual, hehe.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By the look of it.. it does look it goes both ways.... Thats hot... lol. I'll email the guy.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

By the look of it.. it does look it goes both ways.... Thats hot... lol. I'll email the guy.

That's good if it swings both ways....more guys might like this.
Kemp3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kemp3Send a Private Message to Kemp3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

That's good if it swings both ways....more guys might like this.

are we supposed to read between the lines Mad ?

:P j/k
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kemp3:

are we supposed to read between the lines Mad ?

:P j/k

Hehe. Yeah, if we're talking about buying the F355s.

sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool build FIEROciousGT. I'm the guy selling the 355 mirrors. To answer a few question, the mirrors to not fold both ways because there is a pin disallowing it to. The bracket does not completely fill the stock "A" pillar area and I can cut it at what ever angle you wanted. I'll be checking this thread for your progress, it's looking good.

If you wanted a set of my mirrors without the brackets or motors (the two time consuming items in the kit for me), I could get you a set in about a month. The price for that would be $390 shipped.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sactodreamer:

If you wanted a set of my mirrors without the brackets or motors (the two time consuming items in the kit for me), I could get you a set in about a month. The price for that would be $390 shipped.

If I'm putting them in, get them with the motors mounted etc. those are the time consuming items for me too.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sounds like "A-Plan" using the electrics pre-installed.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sactodreamer, thanks for the reply. I don't think we will need the brackets. I like to get them with the mirror electronic (Stage- 2). What is the ETA for Stage-2 or with the Stage-1 do you have a guide for installing the motors? If these work out... be sure you will get several PFF natives ordering them.

PS
Do you plan on developing a Stage-1.5 mirror with manual mirrors?

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 10-28-2007).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
F355 mirror test on BlackDeath... What do you think?

//images.fiero.nl/p...355mirros_CT13-2.jpg

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 10-31-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that's better!
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tiburon mirror test on BlackDeath... What do you think?

//images.fiero.nl/p...buronMirror_CT13.jpg

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 10-31-2007).]

PontiacJ829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ829Click Here to visit PontiacJ829's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ829Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too much like factory, they don't "flow" well.
I agree with Curly, the F355 mirrors are better.

[This message has been edited by PontiacJ829 (edited 10-30-2007).]

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!

EDIT:
Archie, dew wipes are on the way.

EDIT 2:
More mirror tests...

F355 UPDATE

F430
//images.fiero.nl/p...Black_Death-F430.jpg

K1
//images.fiero.nl/p...2/Black_Death-K1.jpg

SLR Update
//images.fiero.nl/p...ack_Death-slr2.2.jpg

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 11-04-2007).]

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the F430

------------------
Happiness is a choice

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once you go F430 you can't go back....

just close your eyes, open your wallet and go for it. J/k

just keep in mind that your front end will look more like mine with the Imsa front end and hood vents and similar lights. F430's on eBay cheap.... well cheap for F430s.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
K1's for me!
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't want to bore the natives anymore so last mirror test...

Diablo

Man... I'm going to be owning FieroTaz royalties.

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 11-01-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you started on the ROH photoshops?
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My choice is:
#1 F430
#2 355
#3 Diablo

PS the name of the website is http://www.kitcarsforum.com...rsion-t7546.135.html
and the link is for the thread were the guy is doing a 355 interior
PFF
System Bot
Gwain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave:

Well you asked for some inputs, so here's my 2 cents worth.

Of all the mirror choices you've shown, I'd go with the 355's. "HOWEVER", I'm really not crazy about any of the candidates because I think they stick out way too far. I'd prefer something that hugs the side more, and sweeps back.

But that's a matter of taste, and I'm not the guy who has to be pleased with the results.

Just my input.

Marc in sunny Titusville, FL
84 SE son's car, loaded
85 Sport w/V6 transplant
85 GT newly acquired and just on the road
SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm diggin the Diablo mirror!!

------------------

Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gwain:

Dave:

Well you asked for some inputs, so here's my 2 cents worth.

Of all the mirror choices you've shown, I'd go with the 355's. "HOWEVER", I'm really not crazy about any of the candidates because I think they stick out way too far. I'd prefer something that hugs the side more, and sweeps back.

But that's a matter of taste, and I'm not the guy who has to be pleased with the results.

Just my input.

Marc in sunny Titusville, FL
84 SE son's car, loaded
85 Sport w/V6 transplant
85 GT newly acquired and just on the road

At first I felt the same way (they stick out to far) and I did not want to part with my stock mirrors ( still my favorite ). That all changed when I drove my car over the summer and all I could see out of 2/3 of my mirrors was IMSA hips. That plus Curly in the back ground made me go with the F430s
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Great build thread!! You have some nice custom touches to bring out your own personality, I like that in a customizer, ...... As far as your mirrors, I have to agree with some others, and say F430... Then the F355... Any chance you could photoshop F348 mirrors... There a lil bit more flat that the other two Fcar mirrors, but they are what I am thinking of using on a widebody idea of my own.... Haha, I am a tried and true Red Head, aka ferrari fan, so I am a little biased when it comes to the mirrors..... The diablo mirrors look good, I just think that if you could shorten the width a little bit they might look better......

You know how on some new trucks they have that extendo feature for the mirrors for when hauling trailers? They diablo mirros remind me of that... Not to sound cruel or anything...... And about the kitcar situation, no, I am not building a diablo, I do however fight with myself over what kinda project to take on right now though... I am in school and cannot afford to jump into one right now, and that makes it much worse!! LOL........ I just don't know what to do, an F355, my dream car, or a custom IMSA fiero... HAha, already have said more than I should've, after all its YOUR thread,

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually I have a Photo chop I did at the office early today reducing the size of the Diablo mirrors. The advantage of getting the fiberglass Diablo mirrors I could have them reduced a few inches here and there. So far I like the:

1.- Diablo
2.- F355

Do you know who is making the F348 mirrors? I did notice they are a bit more square.

D
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pm answered.......

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:
Any chance you could photoshop F348 mirrors... There a lil bit more flat that the other two Fcar mirrors, but they are what I am thinking of using on a widebody idea of my own....

F348

pavo_roddy, I think you hit the hammer on the nail... (Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em!)
Feedback please. I'm sure you can all tell with all the mirror tests that I'm very ANAL!
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FierociousGT

2307 posts
Member since Jan 2007
Just got off the phone with Ferrari of Central Florida. Each mirror for the F348 is USD $3600! Man thats about 3x times the price of the F355 & F430 mirrors! Those Italians must be smoking something strong!
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

WOW!!! They do look fantastic on there, though I have to admid that I thought they would due to the mirrors being angled up like the F430.... As far as the price, I am very sorry to hear that, VERY sorry!! Had NO idea that they would be that xspensive!! Check your pm's too! Maybe you might get a deal from that place, or maybe not, like I said b4, i've never done business with them at all....

Hmmm, are you a member of Fchat? http://www.ferrarichat/forum/ Maybe you could source a better price from a used car or something? If you haven't been there, then PLEASE do not tell them it is for a custom car, esp. a fiero.... Most people there HATE kits, replicas or whatever!! Although, HAHAHA, I did ask them why they appreciate replicas of say the Ferrari P4 and not a 355.... Noone would give a straight answer at all!!

------------------
Enzo Ferrari....

This thread has been moved here: General Fiero Chat.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock