Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Black Betty Build! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Black Betty Build! by BobadooFunk
Started on: 08-28-2006 04:50 PM
Replies: 528 (28558 views)
Last post by: Formula on 07-01-2007 12:24 AM
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a complete 2.8 sitting in my garage getting bathed in pb blaster for a complete disassembly. let me know what photos you want of what angles and I'll take them and email them to you. I have a really really high end digital camera so I can get you some detailed shots if you need them. nothing has been taken off.. Max the Chainsaw simply removed the car from the engine so I'ts 100% as if it was in the car right now EXCEPT for the throttle cables.. I took those off last night.

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 09-12-2006).]

IP: Logged
3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heres a couple links to posts with some pics/diagrams from pff members, 1st one is just general stuff the manual shows:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20030531-2-030101.html
This one is what you`ll be doing pretty soon, diagrams of the vacum line routing.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20060811-2-069479.html
Both are 1/2 way down the pages/posts.....
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

someone give Back On Holiday a plus.. i can only give one... it makes me happy to know there are still good people out there (like all of you who have helped!)

THANKS!!
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BobadooFunk:

someone give Back On Holiday a plus.. i can only give one... it makes me happy to know there are still good people out there (like all of you who have helped!)

THANKS!!

Cool, glad you got them. that was the first thing I did when I got home was to check to see if you got it
Clint

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClintClick Here to visit Clint's HomePageSend a Private Message to ClintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

THANKS!!

Done!
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gasket

just had this on there(the right way this time thanks to you!) to keep gasket down while bottom RTV dried

Black Betty in the leaky garage

me hating the fact that there are no outlets in the garage!

OK!! now i NEED to know which cylinder is 1,2,3,4,5,and 6

i have to adjust the valve lash and how to do it, but i need to know which cyl is which, and which valve is intake/exhaust

anyone ?

this is all that is holding me from 90% of the top end!
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for the cylinders closest to the trunk (rear) from the pass side to the drivers side is 1-3-5
for the cylinders closest to the firewall (front) from the pass side to the drivers side is 2-4-6

using the picture you posted above, you can see the intake valves with the intake manifold off.

so for the forward cylinders, pass side to drivers side E-I-I-E-I-E
just flip that around for the rear cylinders, pass side to drivers side E-I-E-I-I-E

(E = exhaust valve and I = intake valve)

all of the above is looking from the rear of the car forward...

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

for the cylinders closest to the trunk (rear) from the pass side to the drivers side is 1-3-5
for the cylinders closest to the firewall (front) from the pass side to the drivers side is 2-4-6

using the picture you posted above, you can see the intake valves with the intake manifold off.

so for the forward cylinders, pass side to drivers side E-I-I-E-I-E
just flip that around for the rear cylinders, pass side to drivers side E-I-E-I-I-E

(E = exhaust valve and I = intake valve)

all of the above is looking from the rear of the car forward...

THANK YOU!
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2006 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you haven;t done it yet, and the intake is still off, here is a way to set it properly.
install the rocker arm and rod on the cylinder you are going to adjust. grab the pushrod down near the lifter. slowly tighten the lifter til the ball is just in the cup of the lifter, and start moving it side to side. as it moves further into the cup, you will be able to move it less, until it won;t move at all. if you are watching the cup it should not have moved down at all. wiggle the rocker a little, then check the wiggle at the lifter end. if none, start the preload from there and tighten the nut another 1.5 turns. the spinning method does not always work too well, the reall trick is making sure you are not compressing the cup on the lifter before you set the valves. with the intqke off, it is actually easiest to just watch the cup, it has a retaining ring with 2 wires going across the top of the cup. when the cup just moves off that wire is when you start counting turns. you will see what I mean as you do it.
just be sure you don't over compress the lifters, you should try to get it as close as possible. with no oil in the motor, and it cold, the lifters will compress fairly easily, so you need to watch the cups on the lifters.

if the intake is on, you can do it in a similar fashion. let the pushrod rest in the lifter.hold it with 2 fingers so it can;t compress down,(the guideplate is a good rest) and slowly take up on the rocker. wiggle the rocker side to side , you should feel it hit the pushrod in the little cup it sits in. when there is no play left, then start counting the turns in.

the 1.5 turn in adjustment makes starting too loose on the rocker starting point more desirable than starting too tight.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
will do!

no work today... long day of RAIN RAIN RAIN, and work...

the rain matters cause the garage SUX!!! and leaks ALOT.
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2006 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
keep that motor covered!!!!! you don;t want waqter getting in anywhere while the top end is open...... and due to murphy's law, it will find a way in if you don;t cover it. a big garbage bag should fit over the top nicely.
PFF
System Bot
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2006 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump! (inquiring minds want to know what the progress is!)
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2006 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

keep that motor covered!!!!! you don;t want waqter getting in anywhere while the top end is open...... and due to murphy's law, it will find a way in if you don;t cover it. a big garbage bag should fit over the top nicely.

taken care of

no progress..ive been working alot cause some slackers got fired and a friend was sick (had a nice 12 hour day yesterday..) then 7 hours today.. then i gotta wake up at 8 am tomorrow for some more.. but i only work till round 4 tomorrow.. so tommorrow i plan on getting ALOT done.

but i did get a nice gift from blacktree, an ignition coil!

my thanks out to him!

pics+progress tomorrow!!
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i did some work..

put lower+middle intake, and fuel rail on

does this hose go here?

eww... need new egr stuff... im thinking i might splurge on ebay for a newer exhaust setup...cause we need new everything..

so! im not really sure what do do next!! should i start messing with brackets? wiring harness? what do you guys think cause im not sure!!
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a new egr tube for you for $25 It covers shipping and the cost that i paid if your interested?
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

oh no.... you need to remove that middle intake and the fuel rail. next step is valve covers, make sure you have everything set correctly on those valves
then put sealant on these two spots on each side, put gasket down and torque down valve covers.

does this hose go here?

yes, thats a heater hose for 85-86 v6's. the 87+ changed the design so if you replace the waterpump you might not get that nipple so dont turn the core in with the nipple.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please tell me you put RTV sealant on the circled area's in this picture

that seals up the lower part of the intake, without RTV there, your going to be blowing oil out like crazy.

matthew
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

Please tell me you put RTV sealant on the circled area's in this picture
that seals up the lower part of the intake, without RTV there, your going to be blowing oil out like crazy.

matthew

funny, i actually didnt the first time i put lower on... then i was looking closely at stuff to double check and noticed a big gap, took it all apart and re-did all of it, and put a nice thick bead there. ths is why i got so little done...

ok so so far all i have heard is valve covers....

should i start with some brackets? alternator? or do those last? i know im not putting the upper intake on untill last.. i still need a new exhaust manifold, egr, and every exhaust piece from y pipe down.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All brackets and engine mounted accessories can go on last. After you get the valve covers on, do the middle intake and fuel rail. You can then start looking at the vacuum lines that go under the plenum since they have to be done before the plenum goes on.

Also, when you put the lower intake on, please tell me you didn't cut the intake gaskets. Since the pushrods go through part of the gasket, you have to remove the pushrods to put the gaskets on. Some people just cut the gasket instead, but that will probably leak later. Since you had to install the pushrods anyway, I doubt it, but I wanted to give you a heads up.

Looks like it's coming along nicely.

Do you have a Chilton's or Haynes book? If so, follow it step by step on the assembly process. That should help a lot. You'll have to read up on the disassembly, since it will probably jump from chapter to chapter for each subsystem, and then tell you assembly is reverse of disassembly.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 09-17-2006).]

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

All brackets and engine mounted accessories can go on last. After you get the valve covers on, do the middle intake and fuel rail. You can then start looking at the vacuum lines that go under the plenum since they have to be done before the plenum goes on.

Also, when you put the lower intake on, please tell me you didn't cut the intake gaskets. Since the pushrods go through part of the gasket, you have to remove the pushrods to put the gaskets on. Some people just cut the gasket instead, but that will probably leak later. Since you had to install the pushrods anyway, I doubt it, but I wanted to give you a heads up.

Looks like it's coming along nicely.

Do you have a Chilton's or Haynes book? If so, follow it step by step on the assembly process. That should help a lot. You'll have to read up on the disassembly, since it will probably jump from chapter to chapter for each subsystem, and then tell you assembly is reverse of disassembly.

i have both and yes pushrods are through the gasket

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BobadooFunk

5436 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Cleaned em up...

put front one on..

went to put back one on and !!! only one bolt for it!?!? im not sure if i misplaced them.. (i dont think i did..) or if i only had 7..
but i put it there for now ant just started the bolt, then i attatched oil dipstick and bracket

so i searched for the other bolts.. no luck so far.. im thinking i didnt have enuff! anyone have like 6 extra valve cover bolts??
PFF
System Bot
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im almost certain i sent all 12 as there arent any holding the valve covers on the donor engine I have sitting, i checked the cleaning solution i threw them in to clean some of the residue off and it was empty also, you might want to double check the blue tape if you havent thrown it out
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok well they might still be around then! ill double check everything tomorrow when its light out!

so what should i do after valve covers, middle intake, and fuel rail?
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, middle intake and fuel rail. And the valve cover bolts should be pretty standard, so take one to the hardware store and you should be able to get 'em for a few cents each.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Yup, middle intake and fuel rail. And the valve cover bolts should be pretty standard, so take one to the hardware store and you should be able to get 'em for a few cents each.

HA oops.. i wrote that post bad..

i meant after those 2 as well.. what should i do?

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BobadooFunk

5436 posts
Member since Jun 2003
found em!! in the couch...

Valva covers, lower intake, middle intake, and fuel rail on!

i connected some fuel lines, but not sure which goes to which?? is this right?

where does this go?

i need a picture of what goes in this area.. (besides thermostat housing..)

i am gonna need some MASSIVE help sorting out these lines...

lotsa q's!!!

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BobadooFunk

5436 posts
Member since Jun 2003
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is an oil filter adaptor. It gets two bolts that attach it to the engine block and then you screw the oil filter onto the pipe threads. It should be pretty easy to see where it bolts on if the engine does not already have one on it.

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also its normally easier to put the wiring harness on befor the upper plenum goes into place.

matthew
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

this is an oil filter adaptor. It gets two bolts that attach it to the engine block and then you screw the oil filter onto the pipe threads. It should be pretty easy to see where it bolts on if the engine does not already have one on it.

o i think it already has an oil filter

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2006 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
man, i think the exhaust is going to be the most difficult stuff to obtain... especially cheap/free..

also does anyone have a pic of the area i asked above?
PFF
System Bot
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2006 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BobadooFunk

5436 posts
Member since Jun 2003
attatched this pcv valve thing

i think this is egr sensor of some sort? whatever it is its attatched...

cant find the bolt to fit ths anywhere...

also attatched this bracket

and did injector harness

here is my list of needs to get more done:
bolt to hold cold start injector
new vaccum hoses
little cap for fuel rail thing.. near lines ono left side
everything from exhaust system except egr tube, buying that off fellow forum member
all the sensors from the right side of the lower intake! i have none...

so if you have any parts you are willing to spare PLEASE let me know... i need to get this thing running ASAP!!

[This message has been edited by BobadooFunk (edited 09-19-2006).]

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2006 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok, for your fuel line question, the larger one (closer to the front of motor) goes to the filter, it is the supply. the smaller one is the returnline, goes back to the tank eventually.
this should help with the 2 sensors on top.
the ecm coolant temp sensor goes in the manifold hole just above the waterpump, pointing to the side.
clickk for full size.

thecold start bolt is a std bolt,about 3/4" thread length. sorry, I don;t know the size, but it is not anything special.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no parts or $$ ... nothing to do...

i get a check soon... and im buying an egr tube off of a PFFer.. and possibly the tune up kit from the Fierostore.. unless pepboys is cheaper..
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can put the thermastat housing on, some rtv sealant and torque the bolts down
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Back On Holiday

6238 posts
Member since Jul 2001
oh, and I found that taking the decklid off makes working on the engine compartment much easier. just remember to cover the engine so the rainwater doesnt get in there

[This message has been edited by Back On Holiday (edited 09-20-2006).]

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea i dont have a gasket.. i dunno if i lost it or what.. but im gonna pick one up at pep boys asap.. cheap..

and the decklid thing.. doesnt make to much of a difference with me.. i am tall and skinny.. and very flexible

I also want to say thank you to EVERYONE that has donated time, money, parts, and knowledge so far to help me get a running Fiero. Im close... real close.. now i just need to work out all the little stuff and she should be up and running! and i assure you all monetery donations went strictly to the ressurection of this Fiero!

[This message has been edited by BobadooFunk (edited 09-21-2006).]

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
purchased

and

i still need an egr valve!
anyone feeling generous cause due to those 2 im broke
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i still need an egr valve!
anyone feeling generous cause due to those 2 im broke

Let me check my garage tomorrow, I removed mine and I believe I still have it around here somewhere. It still works, I don't have tail pipe sniffers over here where I live.
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you feel like taking the time to do it, steel wool works wonders on the exhaust tips to shine them up.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock