Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Finale Roadster, The Build (Page 10)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Finale Roadster, The Build by Archie
Started on: 08-17-2004 11:13 PM
Replies: 486 (61636 views)
Last post by: Hulki U. My-BFF on 10-19-2009 01:23 PM
Malakyt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2005 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MalakytClick Here to visit Malakyt's HomePageSend a Private Message to MalakytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not sure if you guys came up with a logo for the back of the car... but i put in the original fiero font with a twist... here ya go...

i own page 10

------------------

86gt Custom with Firebird Interior

Avid Fiero Enthusiast,
Daniel Caddell
If you think i am doing a great job please give me a positive

[This message has been edited by Malakyt (edited 04-03-2005).]

IP: Logged
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, we finally got the Roadster back to the shop & have done parts of 2 days worth of work on it.

Here are a few pictures.

Don't tell me it's sitting too high, I already know that

We cut the header of the windshield back to where we want & welded stel in it to cap it off. We also dropped a pc. of 1/2" sqr. box tubing down the "A" pillars and welded it in.

Please excuse the mess in the background, we are moving the shop as we work on this car.

More tomorrow.

Archie

------------------

sbcpower1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sbcpower1Send a Private Message to sbcpower1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie. I love everything about the Fino and Finale kits...except the tail lights look a little Mitsubishi to me. Any thoughts on possibly having different light assy. inserts? I realize different molds would drive production and consumer costs up, but maybe cutouts? I've been drooling over the Finale for a while, but the back light sets don't move me. Just a thought/question.

Thanks,

John

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sbcpower1:

Archie. I love everything about the Fino and Finale kits...except the tail lights look a little Mitsubishi to me. Any thoughts on possibly having different light assy. inserts? I realize different molds would drive production and consumer costs up, but maybe cutouts? I've been drooling over the Finale for a while, but the back light sets don't move me. Just a thought/question.

Thanks,

John

Sure I've thought about different tail lights, I've also thought about different headlights. I don't know if you've seen a Fino or Finale in real life but the lights don't look as bad as they do in some of the pictures. The prolem with a different tail light is finding one that compliments the look of the body & has radius that allows it to go around the large radius on the corners of the rear clip. Everysince I bought Candy Apple Cars back in Nov. 1999, I've looked at every car I see on the street to evaluate the headlights & tail lights. The other problem with tail lights from a production car is that the Fino/Finale are pretty unique looking cars. When you're driving them people that see them can't figure out just what they are.

Many times I've been driving a Fino or Finale and have had other motorists ask "What kind of car is that?". Well, if you tell them that "it's a Fiero with a custom body on it and a SBC engine", they usually lose interest about the time you say "Fiero". What they really wanted to know is if their fancy MB or BMW or Ferrari has anything to fear from this new exotic with the powerful sounding engine. I have what I call mt "Story #2" that I use on people driving fancy cars who inquire about the Fino/Finale I'm driveing. It goes something like this..... "It's a new prototype Ferrari. The are considering building this car for the U.S. market only & are interested in the reactions we get. The factory has sent 3 of these to the states to be driven around for public input" Then I'll act like I care about what they say next.

My point is that if the car has easily recognizable tail lights or headlights then even the morons that believe my Story #2 (when's the last time you saw a Ferrari rep in blue jeans & a Dells Run "T" shirt), Will recognize the lights as they pull up next to me. They'll say to themselves..... "It's got Corvette tail lights, it's a kit car" & they'll immediately feel superior & relieved.

So you can see there are a lot more factors in action here than just what tail lights will fit in the car.

Yes, we are looking for different tail & headlight treatments to try out on this Roadster & would like to hear any ideas you might have.

Archie

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Looking for headlight & tail light ideas.

Otherwise, how do you like it so far?

Archie

------------------

The New Home of V-8 Archie

DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it. I'd like it better if I could afford it. but I like the design.

------------------
1988 Aero 88 coupe.. 2.8l v6.. more mods to come.
FieroNews.com - Photo Gallery - Fiero Links
I am the signature virus, please put me in your signature so I can spread

DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DotTC

2345 posts
Member since Nov 2003
3 minutes between double posts.. wow

[This message has been edited by DotTC (edited 04-13-2005).]

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wooooowwwww...

Lookin' GOOD!!!!

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I designed the rest of it so I might as well have a go at this too.
Here are a couple of ideas. Some are only 1 side done.

GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, you keeping the A/C. This sure would make a nice FL car.
Keep the pic's coming
Thanks Gary
sbcpower1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sbcpower1Send a Private Message to sbcpower1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, I personally LOVE the Finale. There are only a small handfull of mods I could think of, and those are the same as if I were changing, a Camaro, for instance. Believe me, I don't think (in ANY way) that the lights are crappy looking. I fully agree that they give a "one of a kind" look. As a matter of fact, after my 2 '86 SE's are sold, I want a Finale kit for my 84 I like the front lights Ausfiero has posted. Different, and still like a one of a kind. Bugatti (sp) has rear lights I could see on the Fino or Finale. The Vette lights....um...no. You see that on broken down Ford pickups around here. Thousands of options, finding a handful that will keep it looking like "not a kit-car" will prove to be a challenge. Thanks for the response and info!

John

PFF
System Bot
fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These might look nice

------------------
fourpoint9
87 notchback 4.9L swap in progress

ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

This one is my fav for the front.

------------------
Ezra
88 Fiero 2M4

tejas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tejasSend a Private Message to tejasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Archie:

Looking for headlight & tail light ideas.

Archie

How about the 63-66 Corvettte tail lights w/the ss metal trim ring?

http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=L%2D446&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D2549%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2C63%2D67%20Headlights%20%26%20Lamps&1=dept%2Easp%2

Karl

japfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for japfieroSend a Private Message to japfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
some people might not like the idea of mitsubishi parts on a fiero but i dont think these head lights would look to bad.

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The top set by Aus get my vote.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think it would be easy to get lexan vacuum formed to fit the current opening shape and then just use projector bulbs in the recess.. the easy flush look and it'd look GOOD
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

i think it would be easy to get lexan vacuum formed to fit the current opening shape and then just use projector bulbs in the recess.. the easy flush look and it'd look GOOD

That is pretty much what my second picture is.
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2005 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
B U M P
THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2005 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey "japfiero"
You got a PM and an Email!

JG

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2005 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I had in mind was a headlight assembly that would fit into the opening that we have to work with. We have found a light I like & we've already fitted one into the car. With the move into the new building going on, we haven't had time to work on the car for a full 3 weeks. In fact the car is sitting back in a corner of the new place right now. I'll take a picture of the light we are using when we get back on it next week. We had hoped to have the Roadster as a "roller" at Carlisle but that's just not going to happen. It will be tough to have it ready for the Dells.

I don't think you guys really realize what all has to go into designing & making a Lexan cover for a headlight idea. Our GT40 replica didn't have any headlight or parking light covers & we had to design & make the tooling & we had to find a actually make the parts. You can't just melt a pc. of Lexan over the opening & expect it to come out ok.

Here are what the lenses look like on the GT40, then I'll tell you what all it took to make them........

Yes, the headlight & park light "Pockets" were already in our molds when they came off of the original car. We had to make an extra front clip, then fill in the headlight & parking light pockets to bring the surface up to be flush, smooth & flow well with the surrounding areas of the body surface. That area had to be smooth & finished up perfect, then we took a temporary mold off of the surface. We then had to take 2 parts out of that mold. Because of the curve of the front of the headlight cover, we had to have a "Female" mold. 1 of the pcs. from the temp mold was used to make the mold surface & the other one was trimmed to fit the opening in another front clip we had in stock. The that pc. was used as a template to put the "Trim Lines" into the mold, so the parts from the mold would be trimmed & would fit correctly everytime. In addition, a "Ledge" to set the finished lens into, had to be build all the way around each of the light pockets. It has to be just the right depth, so the finished lens & the glue that glues it in has the same thickness as the ledge, so it fits flush.

To top it off, we had to do this for all 4 openings. We also had to do the same thing for the GT40 side windows but they already had the "Ledges" ready to go.

How does all this effect the lights for the Finale front clip? Once you've designed the lens shape, then you have to make a new mold of the front clip with the "ledge" built into it. You have to find a vacuum form shop to make the parts. You have to consider if the lens is going to be glued in, how do you service the area under the lens if it has to be cleaned etc., How do you aim the headlights?, How do you mount the headlights?

There are a lot of things to be considered, a lot of money to be spent on developement, tooling & production & you won't know if anyone likes it until you're done.

Just a thought, it's very cool that some people are so good at putting forward designs in Photoshop. And a lot of people have some very good ideas but are no good at Photoshop. But the proof of the pudding is when someone comes along and puts the money & time into actually building something. a good Photoshop guy can put forward 100 design ideas in the time it take one actual builder to even get a good start on building a car.

Archie

PFF
System Bot
Fiero Finale

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2005 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow this is looking sweet Archie!

I personally say don't touch the rear tail lights, they are so perfect IMO. Now the front lights, there's a little "touch" i'm going to do to them when I finally get a Finale kit so you'll see then

------------------

1986 Fiero Diablo - L4 2.5 Auto, Daily Driver & Project Car.
1986 Fiero Finale - Being A Parts Car For Now Till I Get A Finale Kit For It & etc.
2002 Firebird Phoenix - Dream Car

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2005 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you're going to like what we're doing with the tail lights in the Roadster we're in the process of building, we have those about 90% or more fitted and done and are commonly available junkyard parts for $55/side. I'm thinking of pulling molds off the openings and giving them to Archie to use as an option if he wants to, but I'm not going to offer the changes as parts myself.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Fiero Finale:

Wow this is looking sweet Archie!

I personally say don't touch the rear tail lights, they are so perfect IMO. Now the front lights, there's a little "touch" i'm going to do to them when I finally get a Finale kit so you'll see then

Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2005 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would these fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4548844866

A little pricey, but you would not have to go with HID.

Maybe someone can photoshop them in?

[This message has been edited by Fiero38SC (edited 05-13-2005).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2005 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Many times I've been driving a Fino or Finale and have had other motorists ask "What kind of car is that?". Well, if you tell them that "it's a Fiero with a custom body on it and a SBC engine", they usually lose interest about the time you say "Fiero". . .. Archie

LOL

I have similar experience will Chop top. People want to hear that its a Lamborghini. The finale looks pretty good the way it is.

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2005 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally I like the round parabolic Hella headlights.

Then I'd use the tailights 4pointNine suggested.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 05-28-2005).]

netpro55

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post05-28-2005 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for netpro55Click Here to visit netpro55's HomePageSend a Private Message to netpro55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by japfiero:

some people might not like the idea of mitsubishi parts on a fiero but i dont think these head lights would look to bad.

Too bad mitsubishi FTO headlights are hard to find in the us. (FTO show above)

japfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2005 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for japfieroSend a Private Message to japfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
should just need to get a part number and order it from a dealer. i was told i could do this for some toyota m-spec parts from japan when i still had my celica. btw i am in japan for the next 3 years...

[This message has been edited by japfiero (edited 05-28-2005).]

Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero38SC:

Would these fit?

A little pricey, but you would not have to go with HID.

Maybe someone can photoshop them in?

Something happened to my link. Try this:

http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/09/ea/33_3.JPG

2005 C6

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2005 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 04-14-2009).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2005 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

I wish someone would post pictures of what this car looks like. So far as I know, the
only pictures out there of a complete car are on a pay per view website, or one that
requires mandatory registration just to see the pics (cfog-i site) and I'm not interested
in that at all.

JazzMan

You're right, I gotta get some more pictures up on this thread.

With moving to the new shop & working on customer cars, we just haven't got much done on the Roadster in the last 7 weeks. We did however find headlights that are a natural fit & don't require retooling the whole front of the car. And they look great.

After the Dells this weekend, I'm going to find 1 or 2 more guys & we'll get time to finish up the roadster & a couple of other things that need my time.

So you can expect to see some updates next week.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 06-01-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2005 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TtT

------------------
Choptop WideBody GT 1 of 1
4.9L-V8-Auto---almost finished

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2005 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2005 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, How's business? I guessing your busy from the lack of progress on this project.

fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2005 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2005 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes we have been pretty busy. But the good news is that we finaly did get back to work on the roadster today.

Right now we're working on the custom interior panels & made some real good progress towards that today.

We are also working on a Chop Top for a customer but it is ahead of schedule allowing one of the guys to be able to spend serious time on the Roadster.

I expect to have atr least one person working on the roadster full time for the next 10 day, because we want to get it to paint ASAP.

Wait 'til this interior is finished, you're going to love it & best of all we're making a version to fit into a stock Fiero interior too.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 07-13-2005).]

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2005 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

This is awesome news archie.....!! Any hints as to what this new interior resembles??

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2005 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Because---good threads should never die.

Updates please.

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2005 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the month of August. Any progress on the roadster?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2005 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TM_Fiero:

Bump for the month of August. Any progress on the roadster?

Yes we are actually making a lot of progress on it. Been doing a lot of work on the custom interior but haven't posted pictures because it's "in process". Everytime I've posted "in process" pics of interior parts I've had people post that it was ugly etc. It seems that some people can't look past the "in process" part & see the finished product.

Archie

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock