Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  We Build a Perfect Union (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
We Build a Perfect Union by Archie
Started on: 01-11-2006 09:04 PM
Replies: 3080 (367690 views)
Last post by: troyboy on 10-29-2016 12:55 PM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, those babies are BIG

Curley & Troy..... Both of you guys are NUTS!!!!!! and Imean that in a good way.

Archie
IP: Logged
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where are the brakes??? Man are those like the largest tires on a Fiero ever?

It's good to have an open mind,
just not so open that your brains fall out. Joe
troyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Where are the brakes??? Man are those like the largest tires on a Fiero ever?

It's good to have an open mind,
just not so open that your brains fall out. Joe

The brakes are on the to-do list and it's a long list, and as for brains, mine fell out a long time ago.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
C'mon, you know the guy is not going to spend that kind of money on rims and then go with stock brakes. hehehe

Trust me troyboy has that area covered big time.

Excellent choice on the wheels troy, they look even better than i imagined.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 08-11-2006).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

Boy-O-boy....this chopper is going to have some nice goodies. Especially this in the pic, hehe.

Oh yeah, the Lamborghini normally roll with 345's using a 20x13 with a 6" lip. Troy's morbid phat lips are 5"

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Troyboy stopping by Archie's shop to check on his baby and getting a fresh shot.

A shot of the new goodies also to be installed (NXS headlamps) !

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 08-14-2006).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Troyboy, what did the engine sound like? Let me guess....
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

wicky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wickySend a Private Message to wickyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything new to show us?! I would like to see any progress thus far! Awesome looking car! Love teh chop tops!
DotTC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow So many pictuers, so many cool ideas..

------------------
FieroNews.com <-> Online Store <-> Fieros in Movies List
I am the signature virus, please put me in your signature so I can spread

PFF
System Bot
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Updates comming soon. We still have to mount the rear tire on the rim and work on the lights.

wicky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wickySend a Private Message to wickyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it looks bad ass with the stock tail lights in that pic! Very cool. I am not digging the whale tail though, kind of makes it look funky. It's all good though. Very awesome project! It is inspiring me a lot!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wicky:

I think it looks bad ass with the stock tail lights in that pic! Very cool. I am not digging the whale tail though, kind of makes it look funky. It's all good though. Very awesome project! It is inspiring me a lot!

Don't you worry, these are the very 1st stages. Troy and Archie going to "tweek" it.

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it ever is the real car.
Make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can be a reality."

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

How about a little update today........

I finally have PIP working on my shop PC.

There was a little change of plans when we went to opening up the wheel wells. Earlier I had said that we were going to do it just as Russ had done it in his thread. I still think that the method Russ described so well is a good way to do it, however, we decided to do it a bit differently after all.

The IMSA body (along with some other body kits like my Fino & Finale) have what I call a wheel well liner return on the insides of the wheel wells. Now on my Fino & Finale kits, we don't have to open up the wheel well to put on big wide tires, but on the IMSA you have to open them up.

On the picture below the red "X"'s indicate the area I call the wheel well liner returns. They allow you to uns a stock Fiero wheel well liner without modifying the liners. We wanted to open up the wheel wells but still retain the ability to use the stock wheel well liners.

So we marked off the area we wanted to remove on the lip while still retaining the returns. You can see where we drilled a couple of holes from the inside to mark the area where the returns were on the inside. that way we could cut the lips off & keep the return area where it belongs.

The lips we cut off looked like this.........

The cut Wheel wells look like this........

I'll show you what we did next in a few minutes........

Archie

Then we took a strip of sheet metal & with a few self tapping sheet metal screws installed it in the wheel well Archie (<~~~ I know I did that on purpose)

Then we laid up fiberglass on the inside.......

Then, the next day, we removed the sheet metal.......

Archie

Blast from the past: Have you talked to Doug/Sage/Whomever about modifying the molds so that the pieces are like this from the get-go and don't have to be modified?
Good idea. I like that the stock wheel house liners can still be used.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All I can say Archie is, WOW. I almost fell out of my chair.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread keeps getting better and better, but like wicky said, not liking the wing.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

All I can say Archie is, WOW. I almost fell out of my chair.

I know, I feel the same way.

They look unbelievable.

This pic shows kinda how the cutout is going to be in front of the light...

How about a profile shot.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

Originally posted by Will:

Blast from the past: Have you talked to Doug/Sage/Whomever about modifying the molds so that the pieces are like this from the get-go and don't have to be modified?
Good idea. I like that the stock wheel house liners can still be used.

I'm sure Doug has been following this thread, or at least he was watching it when we were modifying the body.

You have to understand that making the modifications to the molds to do the wheel wells would be very expensive.

I'm sure he already has a pretty good investment in buying the molds & I'd expect that he's only selling about 5 bodies a year.

It would take several years to get a R.O.I. for the mold modifications that would be needed. So I wouldn't expect that it's a top priority at this time.

Archie
wicky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wickySend a Private Message to wickyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those headlights are tight! Who makes them, and where can one purchase these? I would seriously do it, but I am sure we are looking at 300-600 bucks a set?
PFF
System Bot
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those light are off a newer NSX, they run about $1200, each. You can get them from your local Acura dealer. Anyways, nice build, I can't wait to see it done.
LT-5Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2006 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT-5FieroSend a Private Message to LT-5FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topher_time:

Those light are off a newer NSX, they run about $1200, each. You can get them from your local Acura dealer. Anyways, nice build, I can't wait to see it done.

$801 each from AutoPartsPeople
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whoaaa ! Troy those look even better than i thought they would.

Absolutely incredible, ....worth every penny !

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2006 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

slade1274

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slade1274Send a Private Message to slade1274Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slade1274:

another lighting option.... I like the ones above better though.

I agree. The ones that Troyboy have are a complet kit whereas the Honda headlamp kit, you'll need the "extras" and that's where the cost go's up and possibly other issues. That doesn't include the cost of shipping to the U.S.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 08-23-2006).]

wicky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wickySend a Private Message to wickyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did ayoe else feel like it sounds like a bad repeat of "all your base"? lol Good old zero wing ad their horrible traslations!
HitesFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HitesFieroSend a Private Message to HitesFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All your Fiero's are belong to us! hehe
wicky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wickySend a Private Message to wickyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL Yeah they do. Hilarious crap man! Any new updates guys?! I am greedely awaiting updates here! lol
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2006 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honestly, I think I liked the factory hideaway headlights better but, I've never seen a rearend (on a car) look as good as this one. WOW !
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2006 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, the lights are looking great! I feel like a kid waiting for x-mas. Did you get the specs that I sent you?
troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2006 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2006 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I guess we'll have to show you the steps we are going thru to finish off the headlight installation.

After the last post I made we made some carboard cutouts for the hood the new headlights. Then we removed the hood. Here is a picture of the underside of the cardboard & the area around it ground down so we can lay up some fiberglass in that whole area.

After the glass cured we removed the cardboard & reinstalled the hood.....

Then it's time to start making the pocket in front of the headlight assemblies.....

Looks kind crude but we do it like this all the time....

fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2006 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Photochopped it alittle.
Filled in the area around the lights for you and made what would be an easy mod to the grill. And smoothed the chin spoiler.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2006 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After putting in all that metalwork, We laid fiberglass mat across the joints. That way we would have a solid modification when we laid up the fiberglass on the underside of the headlight bucket...... Here is a view fron the underside right after we removed the nose....

Then we remove the steel & the straps from the outside & figerglass the insdie surface real nice ...... like this....

Now, you may have asked what's up with this little notch we've taken out of the hood and added to the nose of the car?

Several days ago when we were doing our early fitting of the headlights, we noted that when opening the hood the corner of the hood would hit on area of the headlight that is under the hood. Now we could have designed custom hinges for the hood but that would take a lot of time. Or we could have notched the headlight but for what these things cost, I'm not gonna chance it. So we came up with the idea to keep the part that was interferring stationary. Like this.......

troyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2006 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update Archie. Hey fourpoint9 could you add this to the Photoshop replacing the turn signals.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2006 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here we have the nose back on the car & we trial fitted the headlights back into it just to make sure we're going to add the next layer of glass in the right areas .....

Now we're ready to lay the final layer of glass to the outside, we gring the Gelcoat out of the fiberglass parts so there will be a strong bond between the nose fiberglass & the new glass we're going to lay up.

Here's what it looks like after the final layer of glass matt.......

Monday we should finish up these headlight openings by using a little body filler & a lot of sandpaper......

See you then.

Archie
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2006 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow Archie, it's looking great! Thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures and the write-up.

Nolan
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 78 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock