Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Xanth's Interior Build/Restoration (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Xanth's Interior Build/Restoration by Xanth
Started on: 06-22-2008 07:50 PM
Replies: 55 (5101 views)
Last post by: Curlrup on 07-22-2009 07:39 AM
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm starting a thread to chronicle my upcoming interior restoration project, and will post the details as I go

And here is my current interior:

Actually in quite nice condition, I want to bring it up to excellent condition.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the first things I did, the speaker grills:

Prep:

In progress:

And done
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
And here's what I did today:

FieroStore ABS headliner board, uncovered:

Covered the board with 1/4 inch foam:

Applied my new Vinyl:

Trimming for install:

And in the car:

Have to find that darn screw...

1/4 Panel needs cleaning badly:

And for the issues I still have to deal with:

My trim gasket is junk, so I left excess hanging off the top until I get a new one:

Corners don't seal up, due to the mangled gasket:
JesseM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah like you said earlier, its in really nice condition, is this in your white formula?
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JesseM:

yeah like you said earlier, its in really nice condition, is this in your white formula?

Black Formula
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do you like the Fiero Store headliner? I am thinking of buying a blank one to try to cut out for T-tops.

------------------
The 6th Annual California Coast Run
October 24-26, 2008

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This ABS board is great, very flexible but doesn't feel flimsy. Very easy to work with, actually looks good enough to use as-is. Very well-formed as well, though perhaps slightly small.

Here's a gallery with detailed pics of it:
http://gallery.fierodomain....Xanth/abs_headliner/
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
Here's some material on its way out for a top-secret project

Perhaps you can guess what it will be.
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

I see sun visors laying there. So I can only guess...

you are recovering the sun visors.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topher_time:

I see sun visors laying there. So I can only guess...

you are recovering the sun visors.

That is half of it
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spy a laundry basket. You are going to recover that, too, aren't you?
PFF
System Bot
88 Dread GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Dread GTSend a Private Message to 88 Dread GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice Xanth! Nice to see other 88's here in MA. That vinyl material looks pretty slick! I bought the ABS liner with the dk. gray cloth. I figured my sunroof strip would be mangled like you said and bought another one. I have the Rodney Dickman speaker grill cloth and a factory subwoofer system going in as well. I'll post when I actually get my lazy butt going on it.

------------------
=-Eric the Dread

1988 Fiero GT 2.8L V6
2001 Grand Prix GTP SC3.8L V6

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That vinyl looks clean as hell on the headliner !! I may have to steal your idea I'll add this to the build thread list.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

I spy a laundry basket. You are going to recover that, too, aren't you?

lol. Though now that you mention it

I doubt anyone will guess what the second item is

Originally posted by 88 Dread GT:

Very nice Xanth! Nice to see other 88's here in MA. That vinyl material looks pretty slick! I bought the ABS liner with the dk. gray cloth. I figured my sunroof strip would be mangled like you said and bought another one. I have the Rodney Dickman speaker grill cloth and a factory subwoofer system going in as well. I'll post when I actually get my lazy butt going on it.

I think there's a few of us around here, I've seen other cars around that I'm fairly sure aren't on PFF. Think you'll go down to the Kick Hill swapmeet in CT? The factory subwoofer system, with a better speaker is an excellent upgrade

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

That vinyl looks clean as hell on the headliner !! I may have to steal your idea I'll add this to the build thread list.

I wish I had a better camera, the vinyl looks even better in person. and with the 1/4 of foam it is very soft to the touch, feels like leather. If you give it a go, try and get the most stretchy vinyl you can find in the pattern and color you want. Mine is moderately stretchy but the corners around the sunroof are difficult. I did mess up the very front right corner, the glue set before I could fix it but its not really noticable.
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job on the headliner. looking pretty good.
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You're gonna cover your decklid in vinyl aren't you.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

You're gonna cover your decklid in vinyl aren't you.

Hmmmmmmm, maybe I should. Or perhaps the spoiler
Fiero Owner

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That back piece behind the seats on the firewall, or maybe the door panels?

[This message has been edited by Fiero Owner (edited 06-26-2008).]

88 Dread GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Dread GTSend a Private Message to 88 Dread GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"I think there's a few of us around here, I've seen other cars around that I'm fairly sure aren't on PFF. Think you'll go down to the Kick Hill swapmeet in CT? The factory subwoofer system, with a better speaker is an excellent upgrade"

When's the Kickhill Farm swap meet?
I got my 1st engine replacement from them back in '96. It was from an '87 w/62K miles. I now know why the engine vibrated slightly... I never changed to the '87 flexplate and flywheel. It wasn't resolved until I bought a brand new block for an '88 back in 2001.

As for your secret project, steering wheel rewrap?

------------------
=-Eric the Dread

1988 Fiero GT 2.8L V6

87notchie4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87notchie4Send a Private Message to 87notchie4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Owner:

That back piece behind the seats on the firewall, or maybe the door panels?

That's what I was thinking, is the lower door panels, because it's been on my to do list for a long time!
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2008 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not the panels, though those are on the list.

My stuff should be here Thursday
PFF
System Bot
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2008 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to recover a sunroof cover?
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2008 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

Are you going to recover a sunroof cover?

We have a winner!

Not so much recover a sunroof cover, as have an entirely new one made
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We have a winner!

Not so much recover a sunroof cover, as have an entirely new one made

Sweet!! I am looking forward to seeing this!!
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2008 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fresh from the FieroNews.Net Presses:

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 07-03-2008).]

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2008 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006

88 Dread GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2008 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Dread GTSend a Private Message to 88 Dread GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that came out great Xanth!
I only hope my interior restore goes as nice.

------------------
=-Eric the Dread

1988 Fiero GT 2.8L V6

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2008 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That came out nice!

Try using the Mr.Clean sponges on the plastic parts, you will be amazed at how clean they will come.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2008 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88 Dread GT:

Wow, that came out great Xanth!
I only hope my interior restore goes as nice.

Here's the info on the NEFA swap meet I mentioned:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/071544.html

If you make it you can see everything in person, hopefully it all holds together

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

That came out nice!

Try using the Mr.Clean sponges on the plastic parts, you will be amazed at how clean they will come.

I've heard good things about those, I think we sell them at work, I'll have to pick one up and give it a try. My plastic pieces seem to be in great shape, just quite dirty. The pollen lately has been terrible as well, it coats everything.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2008 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, did you do the recover of the shades? Tell us who did. It all looks real good. Now I have some new projects for my 86. Everytime I get in here, I add something to the list. Gotta get the AC finished first..... Thanks for sharing.....
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2008 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The visors and Sunshade were done by FieroNews.net, FieroThomas on here.

The visors are beautiful, I know he had some issues with my chosen material but they came out very nice.

The new sunshade bag is very nice, made of Faux leather it feels of very high-quality. It is very supple to the touch, much nicer than the factory vinyl bag. It doesn't have the thick lining on the inside, but I don't think that is a problem at all.
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2008 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I forgot to grab a picture but I managed to snag one of the older FieroStore repro carpets on ebay. It has the correct salt and pepper pattern to match the factory carpet.

What I need to do now is find a way to remove the foot pads from a factory carpet and put them on this one.
matchmade

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2008 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for matchmadeSend a Private Message to matchmadeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's looking absolutely incredible, I may have to borrow a few of your ideas when I get around to the interior of my project car. I second the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers NOTHING cleans out all the ground in dirt as easily.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today's Project:

I'm uploading more pictures now.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
Okay, a while ago I acquired an old FieroStore carpet off Ebay. The thing that makes it special is it actually has the correct salt and pepper style pattern as stock, unlike the solid colors available now.

First thing, take apart the interior pieces and pull out the old carpet piece:

Now, the common practice with these seems to be to install the new FieroStore carpet directly over the old carpet. The FieroStore carpet does not have the molded foam, only a pad underneath so I can understand why. However, I am not going to get new carpet just to leave my old carpet underneath.

Here is the underside of the original carpet, showing the molded foam:

And here is the molded foam, now liberated from the carpet:
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
Next step, the insulation:

I used my old carpet as a template for cutting out the insulation, then fit and trimmed it in the car.

Fitting in pretty good:

And now the foam pad to smooth everything out. With the pad in place you don't feel any of the floor moldings or ribs:

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
And here's a close-up of the replacement carpet, you can see it has the correct salt and pepper color scheme:

Working it into place:

Here's a shot comparing the original door carpeting, to the new carpeting, to my eyes the new one is just about dead-on:

Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xanth

6886 posts
Member since May 2006
Same song, second verse:

Oh noes! This side of the car was soaked in coolant from a broken heater core before I got it, I'm guessing that's what caused this. Project for another day.

Insulation and foam in place:

Carpet down:
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Xanth, how hard was it to lay the carpet? I'm looking at putting new carpet in myself from automotiveinteriors.com and would like to know what I'm getting myself into... What tools are needed? What all needs to be removed to get the old carpet out?

Can't wait to see how this turns out, looks really good so far.

Oh yea, how hard was it to redo the speaker grills? I have new covers coming from Rodney's website... What did you use for glue to stick everything down?
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doing the carpet isn't too bad, the fitment is decent, not great. I haven't used an automotive interiors carpet. though it will probably be similar. Its a bit wrinkly right now, but I expect it will smooth out over time then I may use some trim adhesive to bond it to the foam backing.

To make things easier for yourself, take out the interior 1/4 panel, the lower trim, and the center console pieces. As you can see in the pics I left the front console in, but its actually easier if you take it out. All you really need is the 13mm wrench for the seats, a torx for the seatbelt bolts (I can't remember what the size is), the interior torx bit, and the 7mm driver for the interior trim screws. The carpet just pulls up, it will probably stick to the floor a bit but its not really secured down. You can carefully remove the foam backing just prying at it with your fingers, or at least I was able to. The difficult of removing the foam probably depends on the condition of the carpet. Some good snips are very helpful, with the Fierostore carpet there was some trimming needed on the outer edges, there is some excess allowing you to work the carpet into place.

When putting in the new carpet, spend as much time as you need to be certain you have the carpet in the right place before cutting the bolt and seat belt holes. I accidentally cut away too much for the driver's side seatbelt hole, fortunately its not really visible.

The speaker grills weren't too hard. I used a combination of Soldering iron and trim adhesive to do them. I started along one edge, aligning the material with the grain going the direction I wanted. I then used a razor blade to hold a section in place on the bottom, and use the soldering iron to melt the plastic frame into the new material. Do one end, then the opposite end while pulling it tight. I folded the excess material over and used trim adhesive on the underside of the frame. Careful not to spray any adhesive on the underside of your top material, it ruins it.

It is much easier to redo it if you leave in the honeycomb material, but I found the sound was noticeably improved by removing all that material. I'll see if I have any images better showing off the process.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 09-19-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock