Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  fitting digital gauge in original speedo or. when iam bored part II (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
fitting digital gauge in original speedo or. when iam bored part II by Fieromaniac
Started on: 04-11-2007 05:22 AM
Replies: 70 (5061 views)
Last post by: Fieromaniac on 05-27-2009 01:21 PM
Fieromaniac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi,
half year ago i had a plan......
creating this by using a bicyclecomputer
features :
Total KM or MLS
Trip KM or MLS
Speed KM or MLS
average speed
topspeed
time driven
Processor of this BC can calculate up to 270km/h correct . Somebody told me , or maybe i read it here , that a "Duke" never goes that fast
So that should be ok.

so i bought a Sigma BC800 from E-Bay and took my dremel

after some worke it looks now that way

iam getting to it

just to test if it still fit

This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

Plasmafolia is next step
then ill connect it to the BC sensor which i fixed on 1 axle .

updates follow

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 04-11-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool and interesting idea. I hope you can take some better close up pictures when you are done.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok iam done with the Speedo

took me a sheet plasmafilm , my Inkjetprinter , and inkjetfilm
Plasmafilm is white and when activated deep blue

Speedo in Dash

now i try the plasmafilm backlight then ill be done for today

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 04-11-2007).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006
hmmm couldnt sleep so i finished the RPM / Oilpressure gauge too ....
..... i think iam obsessed .... i should join anonym fieroholics .....

further pics follow
Emc209i

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post04-11-2007 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful!
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Materialcosts so far:

BC800 - Ebay 9 €
Plasmafolia - Ebay 21€ inc. inverter
Inkjetfilm - 9 € discounter
+ some other small stuff = 45€ round about

Emc209i

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post04-11-2007 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Explain how the layers work, I assume you just printed black ink on a layer above the one that glows?
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
plasmafolia
http://cgi.ebay.de/Leuchtfo...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i only printed the black parts on transparent waterproved printerfolia

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks really good!!
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very neat idea, are you going to have to build very much of an interface to connect it to the speedo feed?
chaosfinity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chaosfinitySend a Private Message to chaosfinityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So this film works with just an electric current passing through it?
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Very neat idea, are you going to have to build very much of an interface to connect it to the speedo feed?

It sounds like he is going to mount the sensor on the axle and use the built in computer to calculate the speed. As long as you can iput the diameter of the tire accurately it should work.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

It sounds like he is going to mount the sensor on the axle and use the built in computer to calculate the speed. As long as you can iput the diameter of the tire accurately it should work.

Ya that would work, so it must just use a magnetic transducer. I'd think about using the vss pulse, divide it with an ic to what it needs and adjust the signal for the input. That way you'd have the best of both worlds. Hope the pickup is a hall effect switch and not a reed switch. It will not last at the speeds of an axle otherwise.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes iam using the Magnet + Sensor system of the Display.
i also thought of using the VSS but , iam running on 225/55 R16 and if u can see in my Tire / Speed table
www.format-service.de/trannyspeeds.htm the tach has a big variance to the standard 215/60 R14 and this is no linear variance so that u could set the speedoneedle just 10kmh forward .
I think i will test fit the gauges this afternoon (plasmafolia worked , i tested alrdy )
I will change the inner instrumentcluster vs st. like this http://www.tuningforyou.de/...b2cf7b48545bc7467c96
and move the displays so that i get space for a lil TFT in the middle for a front camera with IR Mode and a rear cam.

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 04-12-2007).]

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hummmm, ya well my name is Zink, but if I could only read German! darn.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

yes you can put in the Circumference in Millimeters
here is the page of the producer
http://www.sigmasport.com/u...e=2&typ=bikecomputer

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2007 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a very cool idea and opens up a lot of possibilites.

You might be able to rig the cadence to operate as the tach by putting a sensor on the harmonic balancer. I could probably think of 10 other uses for the bike computer given time, this is awesome.

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuel and coolant Temp done , getting switches for the Displayfunctions and a new 7.12 MHz Quarz for the 240 Kmh scale

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For all those of you looking for the same stuff in the US now !!

http://www.cooltronix.com/shop/en-gb/dept_3.html

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think ill integrate more digital stuff
digital water and volt gauge is already ordered . thats the way it could look

----photoshop----

PerKr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is really cool. I've thought about using a bicycle computer as a speedometer, but your installation looks way more sophisticated than what I was thinking of. Nice work.

A few questions though:

1) how do you supply the BC with power? A battery could be used but needs to be replaced from time to time and might be hard to get to.

2) how do you control the BC? Buttons on the dashboard?
PFF
System Bot
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PerKr:

This is really cool. I've thought about using a bicycle computer as a speedometer, but your installation looks way more sophisticated than what I was thinking of. Nice work.

A few questions though:

1) how do you supply the BC with power? A battery could be used but needs to be replaced from time to time and might be hard to get to.

2) how do you control the BC? Buttons on the dashboard?

Powercomes from a little Transformator / powersupply and goes through a 3V Akkupack to the BC .
Powwersupply is from Conrad electronics and give exact 3V without Peaks or fluctuations.
controlled is the BC with 3 Push buttons , that i mounted on the right side of the dash (where the electrical Decklid opener is)
Ill take some Pics.
AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

For all those of you looking for the same stuff in the US now !!

http://www.cooltronix.com/shop/en-gb/dept_3.html

Bleh, it doesnt come in green.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
relight my fire .....

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sweet.
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool thread, one question though, will you be able to dim the display?
AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierohoho:

Using pulse-width modulation, yes.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierohoho:

the Display of the BC is backlighted by the original dash lights and these can u dim .
u can also dim the EL Foil / Plasma foil

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006
Had some time today and my old instrument cover looked at me so i bought me a 2 mm Aluminum plate and had some fun

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

Had some time today ...

That looks great, but I think you have WAAAAY too much time on your hands.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
installed the cluster today

need to relocate the sensor i almost lost the magnet
funny thing is that u can read the display better in the night than on day
PFF
System Bot
Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AP2k:

Bleh, it doesnt come in green.

EL sheet lighting is nothing new. It's been around for decades. If you poke around online, you can find the stuff in green.
chaosfinity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chaosfinitySend a Private Message to chaosfinityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You had to remake your water and fuel gauges?
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2007 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes , EL-Foil on the Temp fuel gauge was damaged so i fitted this here
i also changed the odometer to match the miles of my car ( 103k)

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 04-18-2007).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2007 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mounted the Sensor with Epoxid powergum

and made several Testdrives to calibrate both Speedos to match with my GPS

if Speedo shows 200Kmh real Speed is 196 and thats very good i think
but i need to install some LED to improve the readability of the Display

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 04-22-2007).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
building a 2nd cluster now

this time i will use a backlighted Digital Display and a digital Volt / Temperature Gauge
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

if Speedo shows 200Kmh real Speed is 196 and thats very good i think
but i need to install some LED to improve the readability of the Display

You got your Fiero up to 200 KPH? I wish I lived in Germany
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sure , it takes some time( no wind from front and no fat Passengers , and i need to jam the Headlightdoors before i want to travel faster than 160KmH ) to get it to 200 but most time , Autobahn is too full so normally i drive around 150 when i make my daily Trip to work.
9,5 L / 100KM = 2,508Gallon / 100km = 2.508 G / 62,15 mls = 24,78 mpg measured last 4000mls 50% Ethanol / 50% Premium Gasoline
with premium gas only i get
8,4L/100km = 2,2176Gallon /100KM = 2,2176Gallon / 62,15 mls = 28,07 mpg

Thats with the black 87SE
my blue 84 4Speed never see speeds beyound 140kph because RPM is getting >4500 then
muncie Performance nearly same accelleration like 88 V6 Getrag
but lousy mpg if u need to drive at least 120 - 130 kph if you want to use the middle lane and not the Trucklane ( 7-8 o clock and 17-18 )

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 04-29-2007).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2007 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there any other mods to the engine or ECM to handle the 50% ethanol you are running?
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2007 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Are there any other mods to the engine or ECM to handle the 50% ethanol you are running?

no Ethanolspecific mods , just performance mods and new fuelfilter
its a DIS L4 so i dont need to change ignitiontiming

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 05-04-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave