Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  "concept GTR" dash build-up...Fie Ro style! ;) (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
"concept GTR" dash build-up...Fie Ro style! ;) by Fie Ro
Started on: 10-30-2004 01:28 PM
Replies: 550 (109574 views)
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 11-27-2018 06:07 PM
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2004 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some time ago I started try out some dash ideas in 3D. I was (am) looking for an updated version of the modular fiero dash. Not something completely different but a new millenium interpretation of the stock dash. And some retro accents made with modern materials....I guess I want to achieve a classy+modern look at the same time...uhhh.
Anyway, These are the lastest 3D renderings I did:

Now the time has come to get to work!
Those who played with LEGO (or still do!) might recognize my build-up concept.... many simple pieces are used to build a final model. I guess I am going crazy with PVC tubing. It's cheap and it comes in many sizes and accessories so I will use a lot of those to build the basic shape of the mockups...

------------------

1987 Fiero concept GTR in progress...
1969 Chevy Suburban

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2004 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you plan on making a mold and selling it? It is SHARP!! I love it, looks like a spaceship!

------------------
1986 GT, LT1/4T60E
http://hometown.aol.com/ptfiero/index.html
On the forum
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045554.html
more in depth look
http://dtcc.cz28.com/LT1build/index.htm

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2004 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heres todays mockup. Little ideas pop up fast...

This was a very "loose" setup hehe, dont touch anything Everything has to be cut down and trimmed before I can "group" them and smooth them but a rough mockup really helps in taking decisions about getting it right.

I already got some straight woven Carbon Fiber some time ago but since of today I have the choice of 2 different styles

No there's no "triple" theme....!

DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2004 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My thoughts have been 'weird' on some of the mods you've done.. but that dash has always been cool imo Good Job

------------------
1988 Aero 88 coupe.. 2.8l v6.. more mods to come.
Photo Gallery - Fiero Links - WebShop

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2004 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OMG, that looks AMAZING! I hope my car comes out as good as your stuff! You have some of the best ideas! lol I was planning on using pcv tubing for my tail lights that I am creating.. Never thought of using it for the interior! Crazy stuff man! + to you, keep it up!

------------------
Custom Fiero 2M4 - 3800 Swap Coming Spring....

WS63100FIEROGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2004 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WS63100FIEROGTClick Here to visit WS63100FIEROGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to WS63100FIEROGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:
No there's no "triple" theme....!

U shold do triple exaust tips too.

------------------

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2004 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Heres todays mockup. Little ideas pop up fast...

build off the fieor dash - BRILLIANT [/guinness]

looking good - i want to see more since this is similar to the route i plan to take

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2004 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

Lookin good!

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2004 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After all that boring sanding on the body it is really fun to build something from scratch again.
Cut about an inch from the upper MDF for better looks, theres still room for a serious glovebox in there

A cut duplicate on the other side is easily made because the main dash has the same curves on both sides. With the upper vent mockup:

Work goes quite fast this way! Doing some homework before getting to work really pays off right now.

BtotheB

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2004 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool, can't wait to see your design being built! Geez, yet another one of your threads that I'm adding to my favourites...

Brad

Phantom-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2004 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Phantom-FieroSend a Private Message to Phantom-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
X 2 and a +

John

PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2004 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! sharing it is fun for me too
Just trimmed the upper pieces:

I plan to mount an unlock button for the glovebox in the middle tube. I hope I can find one that fits.
wetpoop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2004 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wetpoopSend a Private Message to wetpoopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should have a good market for this dash if you decide to sell it. That is, if you don't try to retire off of it. Looks very nice, I like it alot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2004 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Selling parts is not high on the list right now, I want to finish the body+interior first before seriously thinking about selling kits. There are always changes before it is finished. I might want to outsource any serious production because I want quality products and service before promising anything...

I DO think about making every part compatible with the stock fiero mountings and lines though. And this fiero is still my daily driver so being able to mockup and replace parts and panels fast is important too. Thats why I build the dash in several sections, the mockups can be removed within a minute.

TwoTimer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2004 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TwoTimerSend a Private Message to TwoTimerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to say all of your work on your car has been great. I cant wait to see a couple coats of paint on that thing. A +

------------------

datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2004 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still wish you would angle the center gauges towards the driver.. about 15 degrees would be sharp IMHO.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2004 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will keep the gauge housing at a straight angle BUT I might angle the gauges themselves in the housing.....These mockup pipes are 80mm diameter and the gauges will be 52mm so theres some room to play with the angle when I get to it. I havent decided yet, I will do that after trying out and see what works/looks best....
Fiero Finale

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2004 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well if you want the guage housing straight still. Then I would have the guages angled themself like you said, and w/e angle you have the guages themself, also trip the actual guage housing that much too. If you get what I mean..Either way good work Fie Ro.
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2004 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have searched for quite some time but it looks I have found someone who sells a set of Audi TT vents.

He has only 3 of them so now I am going to use only 2 ! this forces me to stay really close to the concept in a funny way (square middle vents in the 3D model)\
Theres slow progress on the mockup these days but I hope to post some updates soon.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
these are round but they don't add style.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how about the vents from the 01-04 tiburon

you can get chrome trim rings for em

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 11-03-2004).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like new ideas but I havent found any better looking vents than those on Madcurl's car so I am getting those too. Credits to him. That dash is the best inspiration for my build-up anyway! Thanks
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i try to help - the hyundai vents with the chrom trim look almost the same as the audi once except the tab in the center isn't chrome...

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

how about the vents from the 01-04 tiburon

you can get chrome trim rings for em

These DO look good! Its just you have to be lucky to find those basic parts from a hard-to-find "new" donor car.....I am just happy I found the TT vents because they will blend nicely with the rest of the setup...

dgmp123

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dgmp123Send a Private Message to dgmp123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to let you know that some Ford Expeditions have the round vents with the silver rings around them. You might be able to find those easier and cheaper.
David
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2004 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to page one

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2004 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did an angled gauge tryout a few days ago. Trying to angle the housing and centering the bezel:

Inward/outward comparison:

Hmmm.I still am not really convinced to angle them...
Some work on the dash part:

After the last pic and testfitting I had to angle the front pieces about 15 degrees to fit right. Now I can finish the frame and start with the glovebox cover.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2004 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do inboard - it'll reduce any glare
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2004 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great! Adding this thread to my favorites.
PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2004 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rough mockup of the rounding for the glovebox:

I guess only about 10% of the time is put into fabbing...testfitting, thinking,looking, sketching,planning takes up the rest.
Right now I am dedicated to free my fridge of all the beer
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2004 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess only about 10% of the time is put into fabbing...testfitting, thinking,looking, sketching,planning takes up the rest.
Right now I am dedicated to free my fridge of all the beer

more beer = more looking, less doing

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 20th Anniversary Show @ Pontiac, Mich - 7/2003
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 8th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2004

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2004 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:
more beer = more looking, less doing

Absolutely right! Thats why everything takes soooooo much time...
This is the last job done for today, before getting beat by the fridge..

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2004 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like new ideas but I havent found any better looking vents than those on Madcurl's car so I am getting those too. Credits to him. That dash is the best inspiration for my build-up anyway! Thanks
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

Thanks for the compliment. My next vents will be from the 2005 Mustang. Are they better looking than the Audi vents? I'd say it's a toss-up. The Mustang are chromed w/o ridges in them.

You can get the Audi TT vent at a local Audi dealership. I couldn't wait around for a wrecked Audi 2003, so I bought them for $55 buck a piece. I have the part number if you want it?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 11-04-2004).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2004 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a peek at a parked audi TT today...wow those vents DO look good! Now I am also sure I want the chrome shifter ring too! Guess I looked a bit suspicious peeking in the car so I kept it short

Yeah post the partnumber please, I hope I dont need it but others may want to know...

I am hoping to get a set of 3 (I will use only 2) for about $40! But I havent had a response yet to the last email....hmm

some more buildup pics later...

edit:spelling

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 11-06-2004).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2004 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fie Ro

3735 posts
Member since Sep 2001
Putting the glovebox shape together...

And another testfit:

Right now there are some parts that can be glued together and I cant wait to get everything smoothed! I was going to use the 2part expanding foam stuff but I still get the basic shapes just right with these materials...
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2004 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fie Ro

3735 posts
Member since Sep 2001
photoshop impression:
Fiero~Spataro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2004 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero~SpataroSend a Private Message to Fiero~SpataroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so...friggen...cool! cant wait to see the final product! a+

------------------

*click to see my Fiero site*

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2004 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some sunday afternoon progress :
Made a frontcover today:

Another testfit:

gained some gloveboxspace there..:

The glovebox door is glued together.When the glue has dried I will start to smooth it.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock