Jordan's 3800 sc swap thread by ignorant prodigy
Started on: 09-04-2007 11:59 PM
Replies: 19 (4480 views)
Last post by: IVANNATINKLE on 08-20-2009 11:10 PM
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2007 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First.. going to say Thanks to everyone who has helped me this past year or so.
I've annoyed just about everyone who's done this swap in private messages about some issues and questions I had
Everyone was very helpful and it made my swap go by fairly easily.. THANKS for doing it before me..and knowing what you're talking about.

What it is/was:
1987 Fiero GT Auto V6 with 170,000 miles
Purchased 5/23/06

What it has:
1998 L67 and 4T65E-HD with roughly 60K
WCF Aluminum cradle bushings
Fieroflyer wiring
PR Tranny and Engine mounts
and all the associated goodies.. like walbro fuel pump, TOG heades, N* TB....so on so forth

I fired it up this past Saturday.. Took it for the first drive around the block today!

Here are a bunch of the photo's.. I haven't been able to take any pictures of it completed yet because the camera has died!
I will likely get pics taken tomorrow when it's done charging.

Here are the pictures up to this point..

before anything was done

Misc interior parts being replaced

Taking out the old beating engine

My old engine out.. infront of the new one

My interior wiring harness taken apart.. whoops

Now back together

Cut out trunk

New firewall insulation

New dirty Engine and Tranny

Had an issue with my AC delete working

My freshly painted Cradle

Fuel Tank done.. new sending unit, filter, and walbro pump

Old FP and sending unit

New freshly painted engine.. btw.. the fuel rails didn't even come close to clearing the trunk lid.. I went ahead and bought zzp fuel logs...

Had an issue with trying to get my mounts to line up

New engine mounted up to the cradle

I did not keep this belt routing.. it was too lose

My axle build

Dan's wiring harness installed

New engine installed!

I will have completed pics soon!!

thanks again everyone for your help

------------------

87GT
Massachusetts
ignorantprodigy@aol.com

[This message has been edited by ignorant prodigy (edited 09-05-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RandomTask

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You had problems with the fuel rails clearing the decklid? Who made your mounts? are you running an IC?
ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No IC ..and using PR mounts

The reason they didn't quite clear was because I didn't bend them back far enough. I didn't realize how high it was going to sit once the engine was in the car

You can kind of see it in this photo.. the angle isn't right but the line with the blue fitting is the one I had the issue with

It may have just cleared because I've only done a test fitting with the trunk lid.. but it was too close for my liking either way.. plus the fuel logs give it a much more professional look.. and give me an excuse to get an IC down the road

[This message has been edited by ignorant prodigy (edited 09-05-2007).]

multmigs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for multmigsSend a Private Message to multmigsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
U R The man!! I'm doing the same swap, although on hold for a bit due to other projects, can you please post some info on the axles portion, I'm using the exact same mounts etc as you so I would think that things would work the same on our 2 cars?? I'm looking to know what axle (s) you used at which location and if you made them up from other axles exactly what parts go where?? Everything you posted looks GREAT otherwise!!

TIA

Migs
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So when do I get a ride? Man I wish I lived closer to the car. (haven't worked on it in a long time now) The 3800's are becoming more common than normal Fieros around these parts!

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 09-05-2007).]

ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whenever you want Bob!
Thanks for your help the other day.. I wound up digging out the old fiero engine harness (glad I kept that) and found that little terminal thing for the power wires.

I'm having a little problem with it.
I drove it around the block and it drives normal.. my idle seems good and it shifts good.
But when I turn on the lights..then brake.. the car starts to stall out. Like it's pulling a big amount of power from the car.
One headlight motor doesn't work..and the brake booster is full of fluid..
I don't think it's vaccum because with the lights off it brakes just fine

So some sort of short or something
(how's that for alliteration)
Migs,

It was actually easier than I thought it'd be
The Driver's side was plug and play.. automatic fiero driver's side plugged right in

The passenger side was where you needed to take it apart.
The picture below was taken from Back On Holiday's build thread. Hoep he doesn't mind me using it.
The Fiero Outer all the way on the left is actually one from a manual Fiero.
You will need a manual Fiero hub (spindle, knuckle, whatever) and outer. The rest is just putting them all together.

I suggest getting a good set of snap ring pliers. I got one with a variety of heads at autozone..
I also used a hammer to tap out the balls with a screw driver wrapped in a rag.. Brake cleaner worked well cleaning up the old axle grease.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never heard of the fuel lines hitting the decklid, its a close fit, but shouldn't be hitting it. It looks like you'd run into a prob with that alt before anything else.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you hook up the TCC brake switch to the PCM? It sounds like the TC is staying locked when you hit the brakes.
ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2007 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's definately a voltage thing

Here she is in all her dirty glory..
I have a lot of cleanign up to do.. the wires are still a mess and everything is all out in the open.. I just wanted to see if she started before I buttoned it up.

And here's a bunch of crap that came out of it

rwlekey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2007 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rwlekeySend a Private Message to rwlekeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ignorant prodigy:

It's definately a voltage thing

Here she is in all her dirty glory..

And here's a bunch of crap that came out of it

Jordan--
did you swap cradles? is the one in the pic any good?
ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2007 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one in the pic is actuially in pretty decent shape..

It's from an 85 fiero.. I was planning on building the engine oustide of the car at first so I bought a spare cradle.. things didn't happen that way so I never used it.

It could use some work to get the surface rust and grease off....wire wheel maybe.. but I'm sure it's useable.
PFF
System Bot
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2007 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice build thread, and yes its ok to use my pic although I did have to swap out that dr side axle rod with the shorter ps axle rod to get mine to work.
rwlekey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rwlekeySend a Private Message to rwlekeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ignorant prodigy:

The one in the pic is actuially in pretty decent shape..

It's from an 85 fiero.. I was planning on building the engine oustide of the car at first so I bought a spare cradle.. things didn't happen that way so I never used it.

It could use some work to get the surface rust and grease off....wire wheel maybe.. but I'm sure it's useable.

PM sent
ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well.. exhaust is done!
Sounds good from inside the car.. didn't get over 40mph though

Also put my first 8 miles on it.. needs an alignment bad and needs new tires also

[This message has been edited by ignorant prodigy (edited 09-16-2007).]

ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought I'd update this

Last winter the radiator started to leak so I had that replaced.. then I swapped out the skinds and doors and cleaned it up some..
The interior is almost all back together.. still need to install the new headliner I got

The suspension will get all new poly bushings soon.. Just need to find the time to install them
and one caliper was frozen causing some serious vibration but that's fixed.

Don't pay any attention to the camber .. I'm getting that fixed

pimpin the firebird leather
Fiero Owner

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what did you do for the thermostat housing and coolant fill, also the heater lines. I have almost all the parts to do my swap and am just trying to figure everything out so I can do a smooth install. I can't wait to get my motor in so I can then show it to everyone else on here too.
ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I kept the stock L67 t-stat housing

Since I kept the alternator in it's stok location I just used the tensioner assmebly. I blocked the lower port (since the 87 return just t's back into the stock metal lines anyways) and ran the top to the heater core supply.
This pic shows the plug and the supply line.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I think I'll eventually put a fill on that side since burping the coolant took longer than I would have liked.

Engine coolant temps actually stay pretty low. I have a 160T-stat and have the fans turn on temps changed
Then again this will be the first summer I'll be driving it in so we'll see how well it does.

[This message has been edited by ignorant prodigy (edited 05-16-2008).]

Fiero Master

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2009 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero MasterSend a Private Message to Fiero MasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. I'm also getting ready to do a 3800 SC Swap myself.

------------------
1987 GT Fastback. 3800 SC Swap in progress.

MetroMatt

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2009 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MetroMattClick Here to visit MetroMatt's HomePageSend a Private Message to MetroMattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump, whats your total cost into this, and were you thrifty at all?
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2009 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
his total cost was about $10,000 including the car (i have a "list"), lol i bought the car from him about a month or two ago its now my daily driver car runs great only a few issues here and there like you would get with a 20 something year old car.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock