Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  V6 Engine Rebuild -mild performance- maniac way (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
V6 Engine Rebuild -mild performance- maniac way by Fieromaniac
Started on: 08-28-2008 02:21 PM
Replies: 170 (22117 views)
Last post by: Rivethead on 01-21-2011 12:48 PM
Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome write-up! I'd give you a plus but I don't have enough posts yet

For parts cleaning, have you just been using gasoline or have you been using any other commercial cleaners? I have NEVER seen a motor that NASTY on the inside before but you're getting it all nice and shiny again

Edit: And is there where I say something about owning this page? :P

[This message has been edited by Alibi (edited 02-21-2009).]

IP: Logged
Fieromaniac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pistons mounted

aconesa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aconesaSend a Private Message to aconesaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has there been any more progress?

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
iam in holidays atm . toying around with my other fieros

progress : i cleaned the intakeparts carefully ( dont want metalrests left in them )
started to clean the engine wiring harness
vballman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2009 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vballmanClick Here to visit vballman's HomePageSend a Private Message to vballmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet write up. Your doing a hell of a job. a + for you
Englishrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnglishrafeSend a Private Message to EnglishrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is one good thread !!
I'll be going this way once the French authorities give me the papers.

------------------

'87 Fiero GT - Daily driver/work in progress - MR2 and other small sportscars beware!!

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2009 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok i was unhappy with the heads i alrdy did because of the "old" valves and too much play in the valveguides so i decided to
order the stainless valve kit from TFS and startoverwith a fresh ugly head set

the new valves and roller tip rockers

my 2nd head set

summary :

still to do :
- porting the 2.nd head set
- refreshing the engine wiring harness
- building me a set of vacuum lines
- overhaul a EGR Solenoid
- building or buying a egr tube
- lil cosmetic work for the upper intake
- getting fresh engine mounts
- rebuilding the alternator
- and of course put all the stuff together in correct order
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2009 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

...and start over with a fresh ugly head set

You're not kidding. That head is a damn ugly sight alright.

We'll all be expecting quite a transformation. I suspect you won't be letting us down.

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2009 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok 1 head ported , polished exhaust side and cleaned a lil

Timingchain + Dampener installed , cylinder 1 and 4 are at Top and Dots line up but it
looks different than in the book .....

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2009 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, you move fast.

Could you please explain how you go about porting the heads,
what tools do you use ?
How long did it take you to do one head ?

Thanks in advance
jsketcham

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsketchamSend a Private Message to jsketchamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to admit but i've worked with motors that looked as bad as this did when you started. Now that i'm older, i look at this 2.8 and think, I would rather have stuffed bamboo under my nails then to redo this. My hat's off to you for your drive and enthusiasm in making it all work and work corecctly. very nice writeup and i'm def giving a plus to you for outstanding photography. I hope when you put that puppy in it runs like a well oiled machine. keep us posted and keep the pics coming.
PFF
System Bot
jerry455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jerry455Send a Private Message to jerry455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we did the .030 over speed pro pistons, 3.1 crank and a crane cam. the car runs great, my son gets an avg. 24mpg city /hiway. it has only run a 15.40@88mph in the quarter. it runs really strong in the 2000- 4500 rpm range but dies out after. i am starting to think that most of the people on this forum are right about the intake possibly restricting this engine. we have done the y - pipe mod, no cat and an ocelot exhaust. like i said the car runs fantastic to a point, but it feels like it has so much more potential. it is a 5 spd.it has been my son's daily driver for the last 5 yrs, relatively maintenance free. he has raced at the track against other cars and it will stay with a lot of other cars until it gets into the higher revs. it is an absolute rocket in the mid range kind of like the old tuned port injected v-8s in the 80's camaros and firebirds. not sure what else to do to improve the performance without spending a ton of money. at least until we finish his 3800 88 formula/5spd.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

Wow, you move fast.

Could you please explain how you go about porting the heads,
what tools do you use ?
How long did it take you to do one head ?

Thanks in advance

Tools for the head are a cheap dremel imitate ( 18 Euro in ebay ) like this here
http://cgi.ebay.de/MINI-SCH...2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1 318

a grinder set like this :
http://cgi.ebay.de/Zubehoer...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

or this:
http://cgi.ebay.de/12-Stuec...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

and some polishing stones

and a wooden testcylinder with the wanted size for the exhaust channel to test if the size of the exhaust channel is the same all the way down to the valve

then a absolute must have is safety glasses + dust mask
i already hat a metalpiece in my eye when i forgot to wear the glasses , it took almost a week till the infection was gone .....
and without dustmask u get all the fine dust in your lungs which is also no pleasure.

porting with cleaning and polishing took me 2 days per head but i think its possible in 1 day with more time per day and better tools

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2009 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mounted the oilpump

timingcover

Crankseal mounted anc cover too , but iam missing 2 bolts so i used others till i find em

started with the oilpan

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieromaniac

Thanks for the explanation

Please continue to post I really like what you are doing,
One of my dreams is to one day rebuild an engine, seeing what your doing gives me motivation.

Thanks againg
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cleaned

zinked

painted

mounted waterpump

harmonic balancer cleaned and painted

mounted the stainless steel valves from fierostore

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006
new headgasket

head mounted

crane 1.52's

couldnt resist

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2009 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is one sweet looking rebuilt engine. I hope it will be ready and installed by FE III.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2009 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2nd Head mounted ,pushrods mounted, Valve lash set

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 04-28-2009).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lower intake painted and mounted

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just beautiful…
PFF
System Bot
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2009 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 05-02-2009).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

made me some Vaccumlines

costs ? around 20$ max.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2009 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those lines look great. The build is also a fun one to watch. Good luck. Can't wait to you finally get it running. A true labor of love.

------------------

Rivethead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2009 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RivetheadSend a Private Message to RivetheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates? Great thread. I really enjoy everything you do. It's absolutly inspiring.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mounted a new harmonic balancer from the Fierostore , but 2 of its holes has another thread than the others ....
i dont want to use only 2 bolts to mount the pulley ....... strange

started with the upper intake , polishing it a lil

after some times of polishing

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2009 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cleaned b4 painting

while drying

painted the pulley

made me some stainless steel bolts

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 05-14-2009).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
now thats an "glowing" red isnt it

Rivethead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RivetheadSend a Private Message to RivetheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely beautiful.
Englishrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2009 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnglishrafeSend a Private Message to EnglishrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's coming on nicely!
Keep up the good work.

(I think I may go 3.1 with my Fiero one day - same problem in France as you have in Germany --> engine swaps are a big no no, except if you swap in the very same type of engine !)

------------------

ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2009 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks nice

i'm working on my 3.1 right now
PFF
System Bot
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierostore EGR Tube

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is an excellent thread!!!!!

could you tell me what diameter and type of pipe you used for the vacuum lines?
I am not near my car at the moment but i am preparing to change out old parts and this would help me no end.

thanks in advance

Jon
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2009 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just one thing fieromaniac, why didn't you use gaskets for the upper manifolds?? The blue silocon could of been prevented.

Nice rebuild though...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, loaded, 5-speed

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Just one thing fieromaniac, why didn't you use gaskets for the upper manifolds?? The blue silocon could of been prevented.

Nice rebuild though...

I need to take down upper and middle intake again when iam installing the Propane Injectors with the silicon iam not wasting a gasket .
The Propane system will be installed after the swap because i want to minimize possible sources for errors.
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieromaniac

980 posts
Member since Nov 2006

Originally posted by jon m:

this is an excellent thread!!!!!

could you tell me what diameter and type of pipe you used for the vacuum lines?
I am not near my car at the moment but i am preparing to change out old parts and this would help me no end.

thanks in advance

Jon

3 or 4 mm in diameter for the small tubes ( dunno what i took , i had an old vaccumline with me and compared the size in the shop )
then a 6 mm line
and a big 10mm

Standard copper pipes , i guess for gas installations
i saw them in hospitals for oxigen .

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2009 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for your help

good working build, bet you cant wait to fire her up??

jon
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Throttlebody

mounted

waterpipes to the TB mounted too

distributor installed
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what are you using to clean the metal engine parts, like the trhottle body and the timing chain cover...do you soak them in some sort of chemical?
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Timingcover,heads and all bigger parts went in my bathroom .
I tanked the parts and used some bathroomcleaners to get rid of the oil.
(tried also pipe cleaners but they are to agressive for aluminium)

smaller parts like the throttlebody went in a bath with bioethanol(E85) + lil mechanical cleaning with a brush

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 05-27-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock