Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Turbo Super Duty Build. (Page 13)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Turbo Super Duty Build. by FastIndyFiero
Started on: 09-27-2004 06:50 PM
Replies: 627 (85442 views)
Last post by: Will on 05-08-2023 06:40 PM
FastIndyFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

The real question is "Will this thing ever get finished?"

The answer is I think not.

Ouch. I guess the truth hurts the most

I've got enough 1/2" 321 stainless ordered to do the exhaust flanges for both cylinder heads. Wasn't terribly cheap at $100, but it's best for what I want to do. I hope to get at least one set milled out this weekend.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 01-26-2009).]

IP: Logged
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2009 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my jig for my flanges done tonight.

slinger

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastIndyFiero:

building an AR-15 among other things.

off topic but me and my uncle want to put some together. what are they runing nowdays?
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slinger:

off topic but me and my uncle want to put some together. what are they runing nowdays?

Cost pretty much depends on how much you want to spend.

The first one I built cost about $700 to get up and running with a decent barrel/upper, standard M4 collapsible stock, pretty much standard lower:

About another $500 and I had a decent optic setup and a nice MAGPUL PRS stock.

The one I'm building right now I've spent about $800 on, and I've yet to get a barrel, handguard and stock, which total, will be another $1000 or a little less, without any kind of optic. Factoring in a nice Eotech holosight would be another $400.

Pics in its current form:

Here's a model I made to get a feel for what I'm going after.

Pics show it with the handguard and flash hider I'm going for.
Final form will be a 10.5" Short Barrel Rifle (SBR). I'm also about to put my BATF Form 1 paperwork through for building a suppressor, which would add another 6-7" of length. If I permanently attached it to the barrel, I could get around the $200 SBR tax stamp and pay for the tax stamp for the suppressor only.
slinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice! i cant do much with one in collage but i could start with the lower receiver and when im done with school get the rest and work my way up, i would be going for a SPR style.

thanks for the info

back to your regularly scheduled program
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slinger:

nice! i cant do much with one in collage.........

back to your regularly scheduled program

yes you can. its just not right....

happy hunting

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT
MPG Display for OBD I

slinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
they might get a little mad if i build one in my dorm room
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2009 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blowd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlowdSend a Private Message to BlowdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, the email bounced again, so here is a preview of the drawing I got with my parts. As Imentioned it's 22ft long and has 5 views, but not of too much value from a design standpoint.

[This message has been edited by Blowd (edited 02-05-2009).]

Blowd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlowdSend a Private Message to BlowdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Blowd

12 posts
Member since Jan 2009
May as well put up a photo of the head. I got some of the shelf dust off of it.

For the rest of the group, I just scored a basically NOS SD4 16v head and shortblock ass'y. Lots of little bags and boxes of parts still to sort through. I don't actually have a use/plan for it yet, but just couldn't pass up the oportunity to get my hands on one.
Nate and Tom have been kind enough to help me out with some documentation and info.
Thanx Guys.

Now back to your regular scheduled topic....
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, looks nice. Does that intake look like a production unit, or custom? I'll try emailing you again, can you PM me the bounce error you're getting? My email seems to be working okay on my end.
PFF
System Bot
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started on the aluminum proto exhaust flange. Couldn't get it quite finished yet.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 03-07-2009).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blowd:

May as well put up a photo of the head. I got some of the shelf dust off of it.

Man, that thing's got balls!
...I mean it! 4 of 'em!
...sorry, had to say it.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey fast indy, your Indy fast yet?
j/k
If I was closer I swear I would go there and finish it for you.

get er done

I want to see that thing smoke every thing on the road.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
Las Vegas Fiero Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2009 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

hey fast indy, your Indy fast yet?
j/k
If I was closer I swear I would go there and finish it for you.

get er done

I want to see that thing smoke every thing on the road.

Hehe...Donate 5-6 thou and I'd have it done in a month

Aluminum test flange is done, will know fitment tomorrow. It's .500" thick, has a .25" recess so the transitions can be nested inside the flange and welded inside and out. I'll probably also leave a little more material radially around the port, just for a little extra stiffness and space for the weld.

Also planning on cutting (on the CNC machine) a 2 piece mandrel for forming the transitions from oval to round, hoping to do that this week.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As shown not very clearly by the crappy cellphone pics, it fits pretty good!

Blowd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlowdSend a Private Message to BlowdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Port alignment looks nice (I jus luv lookin down those ports). So that's probably gonna take a pretty good notch on the water pump, but will definitely make for a trouble free header.
Keep us posted.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was recently thinking about becoming a little more ambitious with the exhaust flange project. Because I am already investing a fair amount of time in cutting these flanges out myself, I started thinking about reverting back to my original plan from several years ago and doing the entire transition in a single billet. Because I don't have my own NDI/X-ray inspection quality control department, minimizing welds is one of my top priorities in the design of my exhaust system. With an addition of a couple of machining operations, I could eliminate having to cut out a mandrel and form the transitions by hand and having them welded onto the flange.

This got me thinking about what F1 does. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any kind of good information or even closeup pictures of the parts that I was looking for, but what I WAS able to find was a seller on eBay clearing out old CART/IRL exhaust parts. I figured this may be more useful to my turbocharged application anyway (though I won't succumb to claiming that my level of build or tune even approaches that of an IRL engine). So, just because I was curious, I wound up with three flanges; two from successive generations of late 90's Mercedes Ilmor engine, and a flange from a Chevy Aurora engine. The Aurora flange is billet Inconel while the Mercedes flanges are cast stainless or Inconel, I'm not sure which. These confirmed my sneaking suspicion that a one-piece transition could be a suitable solution to the problem of transitioning from the port to the round tube, and looked fairly similar to what I had already worked up in CATIA. On to the pics.

These are obviously no-expense-spared pieces, with the Mercedes flange even sporting webbing bracing the flange mounting points. Both transitions sport a very sharp knife edge where the ports merge, though something I'm not concerned about because my ports merge inside the head, not far past the bowl. Also evident is the relatively thin flange at the base, both measure around .15" thick where the bolt face would be. This was somewhat suprising to me, though I suspect I can't build a flange that thin because of the Cossie's 3-bolt flange versus the 4-bolt IRL parts. More later.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2009 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Am I missing something? Aluminum exhaust flanges- they must just be for mockup, right?

Inconel is definitely a much better choice for turbo exhaust system temperature considerations. Your exhaust will be hotter than the melting temp of aluminum!
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2009 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

Am I missing something? Aluminum exhaust flanges- they must just be for mockup, right?

Inconel is definitely a much better choice for turbo exhaust system temperature considerations. Your exhaust will be hotter than the melting temp of aluminum!

Yes...Just for mockup/test run of my CNC code. The flange that you see in 6061 there will be replicated in 321 Stainless. Austenitic stainless can be somewhat difficult to machine unless the toolpaths are just right (it work hardens very quickly, so making shallow or redudant cuts will cause very fast tool wear, or breakage).

In terms of cost and lack of availabilty (and difficulty in machining), Inconel is orders above even 321SS. I don't even want to consider what the same 1/2 x 5 x 36" plate that ran $100 in 321SS would be in Inconel. On the other hand, doing 1-piece transitions (instead of just flanges) in 321 is not completely outside of the realm of possibility, but again, the hunk of 2" x 4" x 24" hunk of SS that it would take wouldn't be cheap.

So for the moment I'm split on it.
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update!

Okay, not really. We're finally in the process of installing a CNC machine (Haas VF-3) where I work, so that will help getting some of these odds and ends done. Also planning on making the rocker stud girdle and the main cap girdle.
PFF
System Bot
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled the intake cam off of Alan's head to get journal sizes and do some general measuring. The cams are gun-drilled, with an oiling hole drilled at each bearing. The inner two bearings are plain, while the outer two are grooved for oiling. This corresponds with the holes drilled in the outer journals in the head for the pressure feed to the cam core I suppose.

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One 321SS flange done, 3 to go.

kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ooo
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2009 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool.

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since this is a 5 year old "build" thread, how about a list of engine parts that you now have assembled or bolted together?
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for an update
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IVANNATINKLE

913 posts
Member since Jun 2009
bump for an update
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2009 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well...Right now the list of assembled parts is somewhat, ahhhhh.....slim. It was much better before I disassembled the short block and the head. Right now I'm looking for a shop in town that can do a proper hot plateau hone. Also working with a different shop to see if they can follow my design and get the 321SS transitions welded up, not sure I trust them. Thinking about doing the welding myself.
ArbinShire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArbinShireSend a Private Message to ArbinShireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what is the honest likelihood of this being completed? So far the work done is amazing, but it's been taking QUITE a long time....
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking only at the numbers i.e. time and money invested, the odds of completion are very, very high. My desire to "finish" this project is way, way up there. I do think about it every day and I run numbers or do back of the envelope designs at least 3-4 times a week. Right now the biggest enemy of this project is probably my patience - the abundance of it. To me, perfection has always outweighed a timely completion, and there's never really been any thought to not completing. Maybe I'm also milking it a little bit. Work on a project for 7 years and it becomes a bit of a comfy chair that's easy to relax in. Progress has definitely slowed in the last two years, BUT I have a house, a 1200sqft garage, and a wife to show for it . Also been dinking around with the other AR15.

Expect progress to be picking up a bit.
PFF
System Bot
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
quality stuff your making! I really love the header design!
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

quality stuff your making! I really love the header design!

Thank you! I still need to mock everything up to be absolutely certain it will fit.

Almost finished with part #1 of the mandrel for forming the transitions.

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 12-07-2009).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FastIndyFiero:...Right now the list of assembled parts is somewhat, ahhhhh.....slim....

That means a short list which shouldn't take much time. Soooooooooooo, after 5 years of posting, please list the assembled parts (or does the "Fast" in your user name refer to your typing skills? ).
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2009 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have anything on the engine put together anymore...It needs a hot-block .002" plateau hone still. Which reminds me, I can modify my deck plate tomorrow.

The 2v head just needs to be assembled, but I don't have a valve spring compressor big enough to handle the job. The springs hit >600lbs at the open position...I tried using the compressor I had, and it wouldn't even get the top of the retainer even with the valve stem

But, the day is not without progress. I used my mandrel to make my first transition. The tube size isn't proper though, apparently the O'reilly's tubing sizes are +/- 1/8". This tube is waaay too big. In the picture where's it's sitting around the mandrel, the top of the tube should be very snug up around it. Instead it's got about an 1/8th on either side. It has a thinner wall thickness than the real stuff too, so that didn't help. It did, however, prove my concept, which means I'll be ordering some stainless this week.

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2009 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2009 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fast, A long time ago (10 yrs+) I was inquiring about one of these heads and was told they had an oiling problem. I don't know if it was in the lifter area or the head itself. I don't remember if it was the guy that ran FOCOA or his mechanic that had the Green Machine. Was wondering if you ever heard of anything along those lines. If so what did you do to address the issue?

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yo Yo, a bump for you.

Some rare hardware.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...?hash=item3ca9d33f97
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2010 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Missed that one...Dammit. Maybe the buyer doesn't know what they're for. Going to try tracking them down.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 02-11-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock