my 2.5-2.8 conversion - More Pics and a question by Eclipse
Started on: 10-19-2006 10:11 PM
Replies: 12 (3698 views)
Last post by: bowrapennocks on 05-14-2009 08:35 AM
Eclipse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As some of you know I have yanked the 2.5 out of my car and am part way through installing a 2.8, mated with the 5 speed isuzu. I used a wire harness from an 86 automatic and did some re-wiring to make it all work.

Previous thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/060794.html

Here's some more pics...
First, the bench...

The engine's in (dropped in through the top)...

The workspace...

Working out the wires...

The new guages waiting to go in...

The ported exhaust and Y-pipe go on next...

Now for the question... close to the starter, there is a connector haning down which looks a lot like the one used for the IAC. The one I have is partially melted and has 2 pink wires. What is it? It's in teh middle of the next pic.

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association
Yellow 85 Notchback(A.K.A. GodFearN)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I can see, it looks like the plug for the automatic trans lock-up torque converter. Since you are using the manual 5-speed, you won't have a need for it, if that's what it is.
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2006 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup! Thanks!

------------------
Jay Brintnell

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2006 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you do a lot of highway driving? If not, Ditch the izuzu and run a 4 spd. Trust me I swapped to an izuzu and hate it. It kills the 2.hate powerband.
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2006 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ran the isuzu with the 2.5 and kind of liked it, but haven't driven a 4 speed. This is my daily driver and I need it on the road quickly. I have a power pulley and ported exhaust on it, so it should make a little fun at least. Perhaps if the isuzu ever goes south, I will swap it out, but for now, I will use what I have:} The whole time and money thing come into play here.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New fuel pump is in, exhaust manifolds are in, Crossover pipe and heatshields are in, Coolant lines are in. New throttle cable is partially in.

On Sunday, I'll work on the exhaust, the intake, and the front battery tray. Pics to come.

Thanks PBJ for dropping by to eyeball things for me. I appreciate your professional input!

------------------
Jay Brintnell

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 10-29-2006).]

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so I am behind schedule. I ran into a few bumps, but here's an update.

The battery is now up front...Thanks to Under8ed for the box. Good fit!

I used 1/0 welding wire run to a custom made junction box in the back. I used the stock power cables on the engine and ran them to the box. I grounded the battery to the frame at the brake booster mount up front, and grounded the engine and the transmission.

One more before and after pic...

Throttle cable is now in, wiring is done, manifolds are in, vacuum lines are run. I am just waiting on a couple of coolant lines from the Fiero Store. Now I can change out the tach, mount the exhaust system and buy a belt for the power pulley.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 10-13-2008).]

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2007 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I'm long over due for an update. It's been too bloody cold in my garage and I've been busy at work, but a trip to the Toronto car show has re-inspired me.

A few weeks ago, I finally got the car started, after some trial and error with timing and electrical work.

Once I finally got the car started, it was making a heck of a racket, at which point I found the following thread. It seems that some of the V6 pressure plates are slightly too tall for the inside of the Isuzu bell housing and will contact inside, easily resolved with a little grinding. I had to wait a few weeks to borrow a shop crane, but now that I have it (Thanks DPWood) I will be lifting the V6 out this weekend to remedy the situation. It's already unbolted and ready to lift. I will grab pics of what I find once the engine is out.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020825-2-018893.html

I have to get her on the road this week.

------------------
Jay Brintnell

The progress thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/077740.html

Dash

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2009 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DashSend a Private Message to DashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump

cuz im planning on doing the same thing
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2009 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dash, I've had her on the road for over a year now. I will try and find the other threads for you, and feel free to PM me with any questions.

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association and the Ontario Pontiac Club

Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival. - W. Edwards Deming

bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2009 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job. I did the same conversion last year on my 87 T t-top.

------------------
Jim
86 SE 355 Body Kit w/3.1 Auto (Sold)
87 T-Top Coupe 2.8/5 Speed new project

PFF
System Bot
Dash

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
eclipse you have a pm
and bowrapennocks do you have a write up?
bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2009 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not do a detailed writeup with pictures, but here are the basics:

I retained the springs from the 2.5 with no issues. The GT I believe has higher rate springs as it has the sport suspension. Here are the items to address:
• You need the fuel pump and throttle cable from a 2.8L
• The left side for/aft coolant tube on the 2.5 is about 6” longer on the 2.5. You can cut it down, but remember the flare is no longer there, so double clamp it. I changed to the 2.8 coolant tube because I had one. It is a lot of work to snake this tube around the front suspension.
• The for/aft heater pipe that connects to the thermostat housing through a molded hose is different for the 2.8. I changed mine, but you don’t have to…just use more heater hose.
• There is a heater line that goes into the water pump on the 85-86 2.8 (hard line from the firewall, along the frame rails and to the back of the engine compartment). A hose connects this line to the water pump. You will have to replumb it from the 2.5 to the 2.8 (this line is eliminated on the 87-88 cars because the water return is plumbed into one of the for/aft coolant tubes).
• You need the dogbone from a 2.8…it is shorter
• You need an air filter housing, plastic elbow that is below it, and rubber boot that goes between the throttle body and air filter. It is a very tight fit around the shift cables if you use the Isuzu 5 speed. I made a new boot, but at least one person has used the stock 2.8 air intake boot.
• You need the engine harness from the 2.8+ECM+ECM mounting bracket (the 2.5 and 2.8 ECM have mounting screws in different places).
• I swapped in the engine bay cooling blower, and the rear wiring harness to power the blower. The blower cools the distributor and alternator. It was eliminated in the 1988 model and many people say it is not necessary.
• The 2.8 harness plugged in to the 2.5 harness and all worked with no issues. Harnesses are slightly different between AC/non AC, 4 sp/5 sp/auto. Depending on what configuration you have, there are wiring differences relating to clutch start lockout, auto/manual trans, AC etc. As far as I know, the locations for all wires are the same on the main connectors, but the wires may be omitted for some configurations. If you do not have access to wiring diagrams in a shop manual, try gaining access to the ALLDATA database, which seems to have the same information as a GM service manual. I have access to it at my local library. Sorry, you have to go to my library as it is not available on the Internet. I had to swap in the main harness from my parts car, as the fuse panel was badly corroded.
• The motor mount is the same, but I put in a new one, as well as new transmission mounts.
• I replaced all engine seals, the timing chain (the engine had 90K on it), the water pump (cast rather than plastic impeller) and had the injectors cleaned. There was a post somewhere on PFF on cheap but good places for injector cleaning. The car does not leak coolant or oil at all; a good investment while replacement was cheap and easy.
• I think the AC brackets are different; my coupe did not have AC, but I swapped it in from my parts car.
• I used the alternator from the 2.8 w/AC which is larger
• I also swapped in the AC, but the main wiring harness for AC controls is different. In the end, I had to swap the main harness only because the fuse panel was badly corroded on my otherwise rust free car. I was glad I had a parts car.
• I installed a new Fiero Store HD RAM clutch for the 2.8 with the Isuzu throw out bearing. You must match the throwout bearing to the transmission. This clutch works very smoothly and with low effort. A great clutch. The Fiero store told me to use a 2.5 clutch. While this would work, it is smaller in diameter and would wear out faster.
• I used the flywheel that came with the engine; 85-87 2.8 engines require balance weights on the flywheel. 88 engines are neutrally balanced. Putting the wrong flywheel on an engine would lead to early failure.
• I think the later year fuel lines are the same 2.5 and 2.8, but earlier are different (not sure)
• I installed the exhaust system from the 2.8. I would replace all of the exhaust manifold bolts with high strength (9.8) studs. My engine had three snapped off and I had to drill one out. It is much easier to do this with the engine out. Also check the exhaust manifolds for cracks. The one on my parts car (that had a blown engine) was cracked on the cylinder where the piston had a hole though it.
• I also swapped in cruise control and it works!
• The backup lights do not work and I have not yet had a chance to look at why.
Hope I did not forget anything.
Jim

------------------
Jim
86 SE 355 Body Kit w/3.1 Auto (Sold)
87 T-Top Coupe 2.8/5 Speed new project

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors