Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  dozol's build thread "FIERO REBORN" (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
dozol's build thread "FIERO REBORN" by dozol
Started on: 10-25-2007 06:54 PM
Replies: 178 (8150 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 05-14-2008 09:56 PM
prostreet505

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dozol:

I like mine better

NAH, I think you should buy new ones and give those to me.
IP: Logged
dozol

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello guys

Today some more parts arrived.

I am still missing alternator bracket and water pump from Archie. I will also get some ShiftGlow gauges...........

Can't wait for weekend updates from Craig.

dominik
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pistons and rods together...

Officially, every part but the block will be NEW. Isn't this sweet.

dominik
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the engine on the stand and the cylinders are pretty good. So I am just going to remove the ridge and hone the cylinders.

I removed the ridge in all the cylinders with a ridge reamer:

The material removed from the ridge in the cylinder:

The cylinders after the ridge has been removed and the cylinders have been honed:

Since this engine is going to be used in a fiero, we have to seal off the 3rd hole on the block where the water pump mounts.

I used a tap and added threads to the hole and installed a pipe plug with sealer on it so it don't leak:

I installed a old oilpan, timingcover, heads, fuelpump block-off plate, and taped off the lifter vally and oil filter mount to get it ready for paint:

I then sprayed the engine with a high temp silver base coat:

Then I sprayed the finish coat of red over the silver:

Here is the final result after removing the old parts:

I then installed the new crankshaft and main bearings, new camshaft and bearings, new crank gear and cam gear for the gear drive, new rear main seal, new fuel pump block-off plate, flywheel, and Archie adapter plate.

Then I installed the new pistons, new piston rings, new rods, new rod bearings, idler gears for the gear drive, and new HV oil pump:

Then installed the new timing cover and oil pan:

More to come next weekend.....

Craig
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TiredGXP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^^ Now that's a big grin
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2008 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys

I was thinking about getting a badge or emblem that would say V8 or 5.0.
Here are some pictures I found on ebay.
Which one do you like and where is the best spot to place it on the car.

Well, which one???

dominik

[This message has been edited by dozol (edited 03-02-2008).]

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2008 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
me i like # 14 myself....tim

[This message has been edited by thismanyfieros (edited 03-02-2008).]

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2008 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think #14 is from a Ford Escape, right?
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2008 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I better post some updates before the owner of the car cancels his order. So here is some of the port and polishing work that is being done to the heads.

Here are the heads before any work has been done:

Now here are the heads after the exhaust ports have been polished:

Now here are the heads after the new valves, valve seals, and springs have been installed:

Getting the head ready for paint:

Base coat of silver before the final coat of red:

Look, A big red Blah:

Ahh, That looks better. The finished product:

DUH!! I started to paint the cradle and remembered I had to remove the old motor mount bracket and some misc brackets. This thread needed some blooper pictures anyway:

Now here is the painted cradle with all the brackets removed:

While the cradle dried I decided to clean up the trans:

Now the painted trans:

We can't have dirty control arms on a nice painted cradle now can we:

I removed the control arm bushings and sanded and cleaned up the control arms and gave them a base coat of gray:

Now they got the final coat of red:

Here they are with the new poly bushings installed:

Here is the cradle with the control arms mounted back on:

More updates to come.....

Craig

------------------

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2008 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for updates, Craig

Couple days ago I visited Archie and picked up some brackets, battery tray and a CSR remote mount electric water pump.

I still have to purchase tranny mounts and some misc stuff.

Also I am looking at drilled rotors.

I found these on ebay, good price too.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayI...e=ADME:X:RTQ:CA:1123

I have Grand Am brakes on it now but a always wanted drilled rotors so why not?

In the mean time i will try to make up a reason to vistit Craig and record some more videos of his Screamer #1.

dominik
PFF
System Bot
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys !
I went to Autozone today.

I wanted to get manual transmission mounts for my 4 speed tranny.

Of course the guy seemed clueless and gave me those:

Please tell me that is what i need.

front

rear

thanks, dominik
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello dear Fierofanatics !

My new 7 color tinted gauges arrived today !
Have a look.

dominik

[This message has been edited by dozol (edited 03-21-2008).]

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are the seven color gauges, but they don't look like the tinted version.
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think they are tinted. Not as much as I thought tho.

You will see tomorrow
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even if they are not tinted, they will still look sweet inside the car.
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sig test ( under construction )

------------------

[This message has been edited by dozol (edited 03-22-2008).]

Ayrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AyrowClick Here to visit Ayrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to AyrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is one of the best rebuild threads I have ever seen. Enjoying it very much, thank you!.

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure you want to use the original rubber transmission mounts?

If your using a solid front engine mount (Archie style) you might want to consider making some solid transmission mounts as well. Mixing solid and rubber mounts usually results it too high of stress in the solid mount.

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys !

Craig might have to chime in with the answer to a mount question.

Today Craig made a gauge face plate and put in the gauges.
Now the pictures

Lookin' good Craig

dominik
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

Are you sure you want to use the original rubber transmission mounts?

If your using a solid front engine mount (Archie style) you might want to consider making some solid transmission mounts as well. Mixing solid and rubber mounts usually results it too high of stress in the solid mount.

You are correct about mixing the rubber trans mounts and solid engine mount. It can lead to stress in the front mount, but I have revised Archies front engine mount some to make it stronger. Not that there is anything wrong with his mount, but I just wanted to make it stronger. Pics will be posted once it gets welded to the cradle, and we are running 2 rear torque rods from the trans to stop the twisting.
PFF
System Bot
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Fieromaniacs !

Originally we wanted to go with these....

But I don't want to use any shortcuts so I bought these...

And plus some of Craig's magic.......... here is the result.......

dominik
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by prostreet505:
I have revised Archies front engine mount some to make it stronger. Pics will be posted once it gets welded to the cradle, and we are running 2 rear torque rods from the trans to stop the twisting.

I'll be interested in what you have to show. I don't remember what you had for mounts with your last build.
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am really watching this one

[This message has been edited by BMTFIERO (edited 03-28-2008).]

Kyle1016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle1016Send a Private Message to Kyle1016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump - anything new?

Or since its been raining like crazy here, is it snowing there Craig?

BTW Dominik, those gauges are amazing looking!
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always something new going on. Here is the latest progress.

I installed the engine and trans onto the cradle and made sure my measurements were right and tack welded the front mount to the cradle so I can do a test fit:

I installed a set of Rodney Dickmans new aluminum cradle bushings:

Here is the engine and cradle ready for the test fit:

Now here is the engine mounted back into the car. You will have to excuse the two tone engine compartment as it is not completed yet. It will be finished after I remove the cradle and reinforce and weld the front engine mount:

Once I have the cradle removed again I also will finish assembling the engine, so upon install the engine will be complete.

More to come...

Craig
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is some of todays progress. I dropped the cradle back down and finished assembling the engine.

Installed the lifters, pushrods, rockerarms, and intake:

Installed the distributor:

Now the valve covers:

Now comes the headers:

Next was the alternator bracket and the chrome 1 wire alternator:

I had to tuck the engine away for the day, because I had to do the waterpump on our 86 fastback:

More progress to come.......

Craig
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
........ now THAT is ART !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ............

I have to update and resize my signature now.

------------------

Foxy Fiero13

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
craig if you need any help shoot me a email or a call and ill come up and help you for the day. i have nothing better to do only working 1 day a week and maybe we can get the center console of mine done so w/e just hit me up
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2008 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some of the pictures of the reinforced front engine mount. These extra pieces of metal attached to the front mount make the mount stronger so it does not twist as easy while running rubber trans mounts.

More to come...

Craig

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that the engine and trans have been mounted on the cradle, it was time to put it back in the car:

Look the car is standing on its own again:

I had to roll it out and let the rain wash some of the dust off it. We are not to worried about the interior getting wet, because that is getting a make-over as well:

Now that most of the dust has been washed off, I rolled it back into the garage to get it ready for the wiring and the interior make-over:

More to come....

Craig

PFF
System Bot
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------

Ayrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AyrowClick Here to visit Ayrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to AyrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is absolutely beautiful. Nice job.
I'll bet you get some interesting smells from that engine the first few times it heats up and starts baking that fresh paint.
Great thread, thanks.

:-)
Foxy Fiero13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dozol im telling you ima steal this car its begining to look VERY nice
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Foxy

Look at the crappy paint job, spider cracks everywhere, rusted rotors, scratched windows, bold tires....... I wouldn't bother stealing it.

dominik
Foxy Fiero13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes but thats no problem its still got a v8 in it and a good interior soon
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
eeeeee naaaahhhhh

V8s are slow and get bad gas milage......
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just as promised, here is some of the work on the interior make-over.
If you remember earlier in the thread, I made a face plate for the aux gauge pod to hold 3 gauges. The pod was pretty badly warped, and the inside was so brittle it was falling apart. Here are a couple of pictures of the pod:

The HVAC and radio surround was also in bad shape, but still workable:

As you can see in the picture above, this was a tan surround that was painted at one time. As a matter of fact, this car was gold with a tan interior. The whole interior was painted light and dark gray. I don't know what was used to paint the interior, but the paint is peeling off everywhere. Here are some of the pictures of how the interior is turning out.

What does everybody think of the interior so far??
It looks like total CRAP!!!!! Could you people sit inside this car and look at a screwed up gauge pod, bulging HVAC surround, peeling paint, and be able to drive this car with a smile on your face knowing that you just dumped in alot of money?? I think not!!! Something had to be done, so off to the thinking chair I went (which just so happen to be the drivers seat of the car), and this is what I came up with.

After some measuring and planning, off to the part and paint store I went to get some stuff.

I started off by removing the face plates from the speedo, HVAC and radio, and shift boot plate. I then applied a carbon fiber overlay to them.

I removed the gauge pod from the bracket and threw the pod away:

I then installed the new gauge cups we are going to use:

Then I stripped the peeling paint from the dash, HVAC surround, and center counsol:

Since the car has gray and black Mr. Mikes seat covers, I decided to stick with that theme. So I did the upper portion of the dash black along with the rear of the speedo cluster and the shifter surround:

I then matched the center counsol, HVAC surround and the remaining dash with the light grey in the seat covers:

Lets hear it people. What design looks better??

First design:

Or second design:

I still have the door panels to do and some misc. trim

I hope you like it Dominik.

More to come....
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

prostreet505

426 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by dozol:

V8s are slow and get bad gas milage......

Thats right.. All show and no go. That why we went with the P.O.S 305. We figured that it is already slow, so we should at least make it look good.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks great!! But I think a nice black carpet kit would really set it off!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock