Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  dozol's build thread "FIERO REBORN" (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
dozol's build thread "FIERO REBORN" by dozol
Started on: 10-25-2007 06:54 PM
Replies: 178 (8158 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 05-14-2008 09:56 PM
prostreet505

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kyle1016:

And craig, i see the picture for what the extra tube is for, the flame coming out . But what exactly is it for? lol
Either way amazing job fabricating the headers to fit!

Keep the pictures coming Dominik

Kyle

Its just basicly to show off. You don't get any gains out of it. It just looks cool.
Thanks for the compliment on the headers.

Now who owns the third page

[This message has been edited by prostreet505 (edited 12-18-2007).]

IP: Logged
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

prostreet505

426 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by dozol:

Is that what you are talking about Craig?

Yup
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your headers look like some fun, however, they come down in the wrong place unless you just going to plumb straight pipes out.

I've been designing some custom long headers at 33" for primaries, and the fit to actually get mufflers in is a real problem. The reason I am using 33" primaries is that the formula for header design calls for that length with the Crane 2030 cam I'm using. On N/A the headers can make up to 17 hp gain when designed properly. A very good gain IMHO. Other headers might get you more around 10-12.

My carb'd 2.8 dyno'd at 132 at the wheels with a tired block, and the motor I am currently building, is planned for the 175 range with more low end torque.

With the work you are doing on the heads and the intake setup, you can make close to 200, however, the porting job on the heads needs to be carefully done and you will benefit from a 3 or 5 angle valve grind.

The other issue is clearance. You are going to run out of room up top unless you cut a scoop.

Nice build thread and a real nice project.

Arn

------------------

dozol

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Arn thanks for a reply.

the exhaust will be a true dual exhaust custom made by Craig. I am sure he will make it fit.

I was wandering about the hight of the carb and the air filter. Do you have any pics of how much it was sticking out?

Also, on the 24th F-I-E-R-O's badge arrived....

looks smaller than i thought but it is beautiful
now i have to figure out where its going to be placed.

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone !

I just received PFF stickers from IMSA GT. These look more original for me. That is the first set made. I feel honored
The quality is awesome and these stick good too. I cant wait to put one on my fiero.

Thanks Adam !

here are some pics.

dominik

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are very welcome. Let me know if there is anything else you need.
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look Great Adam.

I am getting a couple of them from Dominik and will proudly display them on my Fieros.

Craig
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you ...... I sent you a PM.
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dominik, I knew I had a picture of your car back when Lisa owned it around here somewhere. Tonight, I was looking for some other pics, and found it....so I thought I'd post it here for you. This was taken at the last FOCOA meet at Osage Beach, and Lisa is standing next to the car, waiting to take it through judging. I know I have some others...I'll have to look and see if I can find them.

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow this car looked clean

rims look almost white.

Thanks for the pic, i have to add it to my collection.

I love my fiero

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys, long time no see

Here is a little update. Craig was taking care of my heads...
before...

after....

spark plug wires

cradle bushings

distributor

dominik

[This message has been edited by dozol (edited 01-13-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dozol

679 posts
Member since Feb 2005
and here is my new fuel filter

Craig, help me out here, all i do is post pictures. I need some mechanical input here lol

dominik
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys

Its below 0 degress here in Chicago area so no huge updates. I talked to Craig today and we decided to upgrate the regular water pump to the electric one. I will also get more powerful chrome alternator.

So, what are your opinions if any on the electic water pumps installed on 2.8's. Any pros or cons?????

dominik
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello

I got an update. Me and Craig were talking... discussing..... cracking numbers.....

Well i have almost 2,200 bucks in parts for the 2.8..... And for those who follow another of Craig's builds his V8 will cost about

the same as my 2.8.... so we were talking and talking.......

And you will not believe what is the result of all the thinking.

Yes... i will be joining the V8 family shortly......

It will be another (screamer) like the one he is building here

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/087711.html

On Friday I will pick up the 305....

pics to come

dominik
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, this build took a big turn. After talking with Dominik over the last couple months I new that this 2.8 was not going to satisfy his need for speed. So after figuring out some numbers we came to the agreement that I would basicly buy back the 2.8 from him and build him a nice sbc V8 and install it. Dominik found a 305 near him and sent me the link. After reviewing the link and speaking with the seller Dominik bought the engine. It is a 1989 305 HO out of a Trans Am GTA with 83k on it.

The engine will be rebuilt by me and will put out about 330hp. This build is also a very special build, because this car will be the first to leave the new shop "Fieros Unlimited of Wisconsin" and will be a trademark for future builds.

Craig
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well that sure did take a big change lol :P Best of luck with the new build
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am very excited about the V8. I never thought I would have a sbc. I am picking up the engine on Friday and will drive all the way to Wisconsin to Craig's garage.

I am also very proud to own the first Fiero coming out of Fieros Unlimited.

And 330 hp? This will satisfy my "need of speed."

Seriously,I just cant wait to drive it, be stuck in traffic, fill it up, wash it, see looks on my friend's faces, the list goes on and on and on........

I will post some pics on Friday evening.

dominik
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I was a little curious about my V8. I did some reaserch and came up with couple choices.

1989 IROC-Z Formula Trans Am GTA LB9 V8 9.3:1 5.0 (305) HP - 230@4600 TQ - 300@3200

1989 IROC-Z Formula Trans Am LB9 V8 9.3:1 5.0 (305) HP - 220@4400 TQ - 290@3200

1989 IROC-Z Formula Trans Am LB9 V8 9.3:1 5.0 (305) HP - 195@4000 TQ - 295@2800

1989 IROC-Z Formula Trans Am LO3 V8 9.3:1 5.0 (305) HP - 170@4400 TQ - 255@2400

1989 RS Firebird LO3 V8 9.3:1 5.0 (305) HP - 170@4400 TQ - 255@2400

Source: http://www.thirdgen.org/1989-pontiac-firebird

Well, there is only one GTA on the list so I'm assuming that is the one i will have in my Fiero.

Am i correct here? I'm in the library and have nothing better to do.

dominik

[This message has been edited by dozol (edited 01-31-2008).]

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok guys, I just got back from Wisconsin.

I picked up the engine today.....

.... and yes, it is a Toyota Matrix. Who needs a truck?

and here is it my V8 in Craig's garage.

I also bought a shiny oil pan, you like?

The engine has to spend the night in the garage, soon it will be comfy in the basement where rebulding will take place.
The block will be read as well as the tranny.
The only thing I am worried about is how long will the stock clutch hold. I won't race the car so hopefully it will last a while.

dominik
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2008 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys

Here is a little update...
First Stage - tearing down the engine

dominik

[This message has been edited by dozol (edited 02-07-2008).]

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87' GTA with that motor.. Should make for a fun little fiero. I like my fieros cammed though.. 4x the cam fun.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Craig just sent me couple pictures of freshly arrived parts. These just can't wait to be installed...

and cam specs

Operating Range 1500-6500 RPM
Duration Advertised 308° Intake/318° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' 234° Intake/244° Exhaust
Lift @ Valve .488'' Intake/.510'' Exhaust
Lift @ Cam .325'' Intake/.340'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle 112°
Intake Centerline 107°
Intake Timing @ .050" Open 10° BTDC
Close 44° ABDC
Exhaust Timing @ .050" Open 59° BBDC
Close 5° ATDC

dominik

[This message has been edited by dozol (edited 02-08-2008).]

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2008 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started to tear down the lower half of the engine and found it had a couple spun rod bearings.

It tore up the crank pretty good as well:

This did not concern me that much, because we intended on using a nice new Scat Crank anyway:

So I continued to remove the pistons and crank:

All the mains are good and within specs:

Cleaned all of the gasket surfaces and then cleaned up the block to get it ready for the cylinder work:

Getting the heads ready for the port and polish:

More work to come next weekend....

Craig
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, parts keep arriving........

there are still more coming....

dominik

[This message has been edited by dozol (edited 02-12-2008).]

Kyle1016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle1016Send a Private Message to Kyle1016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good! Dominik, are you planning on coming to the 25th? You have to give me a ride, and cruise Woodward, and stomp my buddies fire bird.

Craig, you must have been blasted with snow, we got a ton, and are getting more tonight. My aunt said she got 22 inches in Madison.

Keep on posting, good thread!

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kyle1016:

Craig, you must have been blasted with snow, we got a ton, and are getting more tonight. My aunt said she got 22 inches in Madison.

Blasted with snow is not the word for it. I have my fastback next to yours behind the car port, and they now look like a small ski hill. I had to have a company come and remove snow piles from the shop because I ran out of room. I am begining to REALLY HATE SNOW!!!!!!! We just got hit again today with about 7 more inches. This sucks.
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys, couple more weeks and the snow will be gone. We'll hit the road in our Fieros....... windows down.... loud engines... people looking around....... sweet. Can't wait.

in the mean time, the Archie's kit arrived today.

dominik

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2008 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
vacuum gauge arrived today !

dominik
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2008 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your putting a V8, carbeurated none-the-less and you are putting in an MPG guage??? Why?
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2008 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr.PBody:

Your putting a V8, carbeurated none-the-less and you are putting in an MPG guage??? Why?

First,
It's not just a MPG gauge. It is a vacuum gauge. A vacuum gauge helps aid in the tuning process and is a vital gauge for engine monitoring. A vacuum gauge can tell you alot about how the engine is running and performing.

Second,
A well tuned V8 will get the same mpg if not better than the stock 2.8 if you keep your foot out of it, whether it be a FI setup or a carb setup.

Craig
Ayrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2008 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AyrowClick Here to visit Ayrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to AyrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am really enjoying this thread.
Dumb question, but one I have been trying to find the answer to since I've seen Lisa with this Fiero.
What kind of rims are those and where can I get a set?

I am trying to decide on new rims for my Blue GT and I have always loved those.

PFF
System Bot
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2008 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ayrow:

I am really enjoying this thread.
Dumb question, but one I have been trying to find the answer to since I've seen Lisa with this Fiero.
What kind of rims are those and where can I get a set?

I am trying to decide on new rims for my Blue GT and I have always loved those.

Here is a link to the rims that he has.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Craig
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Craig, those are not rims I have.

I still have the receipt for those. Lisa passed it on to the next owner, and then I got it.
Hold on a minute, let me dig through it...

dominik
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dozol

679 posts
Member since Feb 2005
Ok

they are 5Zigen MO5 Inperio 17''s

Back in 2001 it were $145 each.
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edit: nvm

[This message has been edited by Mr.PBody (edited 02-14-2008).]

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was getting 15mpg with my 2.8 in the city.

I will be satisfied with anything over that

dominik

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dozol

679 posts
Member since Feb 2005
Another batch of parts arrived.

dominik
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dozol:

Craig, those are not rims I have.

I still have the receipt for those. Lisa passed it on to the next owner, and then I got it.
Hold on a minute, let me dig through it...

dominik

Those are identical to yours, except the center cap is different.

[This message has been edited by prostreet505 (edited 02-14-2008).]

prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

prostreet505

426 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Mr.PBody:

Edit: not worth it

Not worth what??? Letting someone build their car the way they want to?
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wow, yea pretty close.

I like mine better

[This message has been edited by dozol (edited 02-14-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave