Started on: 05-04-2005 05:45 PM
Replies: 166 (12741 views)
Last post by: SMTHGT on 03-08-2012 05:27 AM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2005 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is my list of where and what I need.

ECM Chip Arriving on Tuesday or Wednesday. Special chip for Dual O2 Sensor Elderado motor.

3/4 done FieroHut (John) about the wiring of the Fiero to Caddy

Got It -- I am buying a motor from a 93 Elderado with ECM and Harness for $700 CDN, about 570 American Auto Wreckers in Tuckwilla Washington

Got It -- I am buying a separate Isuzu Trans to replace my shot 4spd Muncie. $100 CDN

Got it -- Getting Flywheel from LSC Performance in California made from Billet steel for 215$ USD Shipped. BEST PRICE AROUND. Got it

Exhaust shop will do the Y-Pipe as I plan to use the stock Exhaust. $260 CDN

Got It -- Oil Cooler from Performance Radiator $40 CDN

Please suggest any shops you can think of or places to locate stuff.

Part Numbers of things that I need at the shops would be great.

------------------
85GT 4spd MSD Everything, Big Cam and Nitrous. www.captfiero.com

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 12-11-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pink_Ninja

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-04-2005 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pink_NinjaSend a Private Message to Pink_NinjaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
err sorry to kinda hijack but...

...what are you gonna do with the blown 4 spd? wanna part with it?

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2005 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greg Duncan from the Cadero List sells the flywheels. There used to be a link on Ed Parks' page to contact him. Also Ed Parks may have one or two for sale. There was also a thread on Pennock's a few months ago by a guy who was having a flywheel manufacturer make him one. It was going to be $350US but I can't find the link to that thread and I don't know how that turned out. You might do a web search on flywheel manufacturers.

-Rick

[This message has been edited by GT (edited 05-04-2005).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2005 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4spd is being repaired, and used as back up for my (yes believe it or not) my mother's 86 SE V6 4spd. She has a bad 3/4 synchro and I don't know how much longer it will last.

My 4spd just needs a bearing kit and new input shaft bearing and new clutch fork release bearing.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2005 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by GT:

Greg Duncan from the Cadero List sells the flywheels. There used to be a link on Ed Parks' page to contact him. Also Ed Parks may have one or two for sale. There was also a thread on Pennock's a few months ago by a guy who was having a flywheel manufacturer make him one. It was going to be $350US but I can't find the link to that thread and I don't know how that turned out. You might do a web search on flywheel manufacturers.

-Rick

P.S. GT-Rick gets a plus,

Thank you, Thank You, Thank You.

Ok runs off to send email to caddero forum and email Ed Parks.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 05-04-2005).]

DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2005 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Capt.

Email sent about parts needed for the swap.

Dan

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2005 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That spreadsheet is AWESOME.

Thank You.

I have added a 2nd coulomb for what my estimated prices are. I am at over $3100 cdn so far. I wish we had a car quest in Canada however I guess Lordco and the Dealer will have to be my next best bet.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2005 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so it has now been close to 24hrs since I emailed out to BubbaJoe about mounts and posted on the cadero forum about buying a flywheel and no one has responded yet. ???

That seems to be strange.

Anyone got a direct email addy for greg duncan.

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2005 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check around some local driveline machine shops about getting the fly wheel done, you should not have a porblem finding one that will do it for you. On a side note, I seem to recall a post that Master Tuner Akimoto made that he will do up flywheels as well.

Bubba mounts - I would suggest that you have him ship the front mount without the holes drilled on the bottom plate (the block hole are ok) as you may have to relocate them. I have seen 2 cars that needed to hole relocated. I could not get the rear mount to line up correctly using the holes that he drilled in the front mount.

Not sure what you are planning on with the dog bone, but if you are not going to use the original mount on the trunk side I would suggest that you remove it as it gives a bit more room for when you need to change plugs.

If you don't mind can you forward the parts list to me? Just curious as I never really made one up for when I did my swap.

Tim

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2005 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Ok so it has now been close to 24hrs since I emailed out to BubbaJoe about mounts and posted on the cadero forum about buying a flywheel and no one has responded yet. ???

That seems to be strange.

Anyone got a direct email addy for greg duncan.

I make sets of mounts also, Both comes with no holes drilled so you don't have relocation problems.... There pretty easy to make if you got a welder.... If you still don't get ahold of bubba give me a pm I make sets also but I would need atleast 3days leed time to make them and takes 3days to get to you.
ppl use me for mounts if they need cheap mounts made up for them. And need them quick (well 6days)

only thing is mine requires you retain the black mounting bracket on the engine block to use.

about the flywheel send MTA a pm I believe he still makes them for the 4.9, My setup is using his flywheel and itfit nicely and works great.
Purchase a $40 dollar flywheel brandnew from a 3.1 cavilier and have him machine it...

And I thought there was only once source to get a wire harness from? never knew about FieroHut (John) doing wire harnesses, Im going to need one done in hte future.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 05-05-2005).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2005 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fieroEarl:

I make sets of mounts also, Both comes with no holes drilled so you don't have relocation problems.... There pretty easy to make if you got a welder.... If you still don't get ahold of bubba give me a pm I make sets also but I would need atleast 3days leed time to make them and takes 3days to get to you.
ppl use me for mounts if they need cheap mounts made up for them. And need them quick (well 6days)

only thing is mine requires you retain the black mounting bracket on the engine block to use.

about the flywheel send MTA a pm I believe he still makes them for the 4.9, My setup is using his flywheel and itfit nicely and works great.
Purchase a $40 dollar flywheel brandnew from a 3.1 cavilier and have him machine it...

And I thought there was only once source to get a wire harness from? never knew about FieroHut (John) doing wire harnesses, Im going to need one done in hte future.

FieroHut John is not doing it commecially. However he did the harness for a customers car and has agreed to help me when I do mine.

So far you are the first person to reply with any hard info that you "Can" make the mounts. 2 weeks is about when I will need them. Same goes for the flywheel.

Please send me a PM with your prices as a package deal. I would prefer as many holes be drilled as you think are safe to have drilled.

I want this to be as much bolt in as possible.

PFF
System Bot
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2005 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Cap'n- there are a couple of different ways of going about having a flywheel made. Some people take an 88+ 3.1 flywheel and have all the bolt holes filled and redrilled to match the holes in the flexplate. Some people have a new flywheel MADE from scratch. I have never heard of a failure on one that has been filled and drilled, but I do know plenty of old time hot rodders that supposedly know people who are missing limbs because back in the good ole days a modified flywheel grenaded. So it's up to you which route you take. Lots of guys here have modified flywheels and swear by them and have never had a problem. I'm not that brave...

-Rick

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2005 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in the good ol days of solid lifter cams and V8's that would spin 8000+ rpms I could see a little bit more concern as to flywheel explosion. However I am more worried about clutch pressure plate explosion with such a low reving V8.

I did some calling around up here. I found a local automotive custom machine shop that will re-drill a flywheel to work on the caddy for 200 bucks CDN. I supply the flywheel and the old flexplate as a pattern. He will plug the holes and re-drill it.

I think I will be out about $250 CDN for the flywheel and another 40 bucks to get it to him and get it back. He is about an hour away from me. In North Vancouver.

Thats about 220 dollers Amercian. Is that a fair price. Or should I be looking into the USA stuff and getting it shipped up.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2005 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well my brand new billet steel flywheel is on order. New not re-drilled billet steel flywheel for 200 bucks plus 15 for shipping. US Funds. LSC in California. Ya. I am going to buy the mounts from 86FieroEarl I am just waiting on reply for shipping costs.

I went out nda picked up an engine hoist from John Craker, "Fiero Hut John" and borrowed a set of REALLY big jack stands from Fire451. Oh P.S. Fiero Hut John is on here. He is WATTS. I guess I should have told you guys that. HeHe.

Well WATTS is going to help me get the 4.9 from the wrecker and will even be so nice as to bring it to my house for me. Man the $$ are working there way up quickly. But I want to buy all the big ticket items quickly. So I don't get nailed at the end.

And the BEST NEWS. I just got back from viewing an 86 2M4 coupe 4cly 5spd car. Complete. Has a new clutch put it, but they could not blead it so they parked it. Been sitting for a long long time. I asked what they wanted, they said 200 bucks and it was mine. CDN BUCKS. Ya.

So there is my donar car, driver for hte next little while.

Man this is comming together.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2005 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
Well this is the last you will see if this. I backed her up the garage tonight after one last cruise down to the ferry and back. It almost stalled twice, made a constant tic from the motor, clutch made a metal on metal brushing noise, shift cable popped off the socket once, but car still ran solid, broke the tires loose when I got on it, and when shifted to 4th gear cruised at 70mph with no trouble at all. It almost felt like the car was asking me not to take it apart. Saying it would be nice to me, just forgive it for all its problems.

Almost brings a tear to my eye that I am going to rip the heart out. But it will come back MUCH MUCH STRONGER.

------------------

fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2005 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to meeting you and Watts when you pick up your 4.9. Are you going to try the 4.9 swap in a week thing?
Maybe some one will eat a bug for you.

------------------

87 notchback 4.9L swap in progress
Custom LED Notchback Tail Lights

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2005 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think a week would be do able, however becuase I am stretching out the arrivale of parts and engine picking up, and I have to get the 4cyl Fiero here to the house to start taking it apart. It would not be fair.

When it comes time to do the swap and install it, I should be able to install it and have it running in 2-3 days. (only because 1/2 the work will be done.)

aerosmithr0cker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2005 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aerosmithr0ckerSend a Private Message to aerosmithr0ckerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have a parts list needed for a 4.5 with stock caddy transmission?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2005 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have got a partial parts list for the 4.9 which will be almost the same as the 4.5 just ignore the flywheel.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well spend 2hrs on it today. Spent the rest of the time on the phone chasing down the rest of the parts, I will update hte list at the top as to where everything is comming from.

Fire451

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fire451Click Here to visit Fire451's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fire451Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
havn't I seen that car like that before????? like a year ago.... LOL just razing you can't wait to see it done, and It looks like I will be doing a swap sooner than later.

------------------

86 SE 2.9L
Best ET : 14.9 @ 90 MPH

PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep almost 12 months to the day we installed this motor, new bearings, new block, new crank, new pistons. New rings. Oh well. Say La Ve. As for if you are interested in the rotating assembly lets get it torn down and you can take a look.

Are you busy tonight, want to come over and help me take the motor off the cradle. P.S. you wanna bring my engine stand over while you are at it. Motor and cradle are now inside the garage.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
2 more pics.

The motor is now sitting in the garage relaxing. I pulled the intake off so that I could get the entire fiero harness out in one nice piece. I called John and spoke to him we are hoping to go and get my new motor on Thursday. Yaaaa.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 05-09-2005).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2 more pics.

The motor is now sitting in the garage relaxing. I pulled the intake off so that I could get the entire fiero harness out in one nice piece. I called John and spoke to him we are hoping to go and get my new motor on Thursday. Yaaaa.

Now for the fun part cleaning the tranny and the craddle and painting.... BTW what color schem are you doing ?

I seen orange 4.9s
purple
green
blue
black and yellow (mine ) no no copy
And red and black

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably stay with red and black, but might go with something a little more bright, not sure. Will hit up the local hotrod shops and see what they have for V8 dress up stuff.

We have a nice shop called Best Buy Performance. They are a direct wholesale autoparts store. Kinda like having a JC Whitney Catalog Store in your town. The only draw back is that 70% of the stuff you want has to be ordered in.

Red and Black maybe stay with waht I have.

Gold and Green would be unique

Neon Blue and Neon Red

Or Chrome, Chrome and More Chrome.

I am not using this tranny either. I am using an Isuzu 5spd for the taller gears. Unless I find a 3.32 gearset locally for cheap.

CentralFloridaFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CentralFloridaFierosClick Here to visit CentralFloridaFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to CentralFloridaFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OMG!!! IS that a Black LeBaron I spy with Turbo Fin 14"s What is it with Fiero Owners and LeBarons????

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not just a Lebaron, it is a Convertable V6 Lebaron for sale.

See all the pics at www.captfiero.com/lebaron

David

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found out why my clutch was messing up so badly. HeHe.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/062821.html Ouch.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
So 86fieroEarl

What mounts do I need to buy. You said I still need to buy special GM mounts when I buy your mounts. I keep meaning to ask you what they are for/from/where to get them. Got a part number or application.

David

VTfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VTfieroSend a Private Message to VTfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have got a partial parts list for the 4.9 which will be almost the same as the 4.5 just ignore the flywheel.

Hey Capt, can you elaborate on this a little more? I am looking into a 1990 4.5 in a local yard, and I am sourcing parts and info for it right now. Are there special considerations for bolting a flywheel on 4.5 that are different than a 4.9??

Also, would you mind E-mailing me the list you mentioned to brian @ eckertmotorsport.com

thanks,

Brian

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VTfiero:

Hey Capt, can you elaborate on this a little more? I am looking into a 1990 4.5 in a local yard, and I am sourcing parts and info for it right now. Are there special considerations for bolting a flywheel on 4.5 that are different than a 4.9??

Also, would you mind E-mailing me the list you mentioned to brian @ eckertmotorsport.com

thanks,

Brian

Email sent. It was from DanFiero that I got it from.

PFF
System Bot
VTfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VTfieroSend a Private Message to VTfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that was fast!

Thanks Capt, + for you!

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
P.S. the part numbers for the most part are Car Quest part numbers. It is some Amercian Auto Parts Supply place. I remember seeing them when I lived in Oregon but have not ever seen one in Canada.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do red and black! It looks the best.

------------------

Bottle Fed 4.9 V8 5 Speed
87 4 cyl 5 speed coupe
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That has been my current colour scheme. I will probably do Red and Black for the first bit and see how I like it.

That Allante Intake looks Sooooo nice. That will be high on my priority to get once the car is on the road.

P.S. how is the bearing working coming along.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2005 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought about 50ft of assorted Red Wire Loom today.

I need part numbers or refernece names.

IE MSD P# for wires, or just ask for SBC Wires for a Such and Such Vehicle

I want to pick up MSD Blaster Coil, MSD SuperConductor Wires and an MSD Cap and Rotor for this motor.

Is there any other V8 that would have nice Valve Covers.

I bought 3 cans of Black TrimClad anti rust paint. 3 cans of Gloss Red antirust paint and one can of Flame Red Enamil as well today.

I cant wait, I am going to go and pick up the motor tomorrow. Ya Ya Ya.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2005 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That has been my current colour scheme. I will probably do Red and Black for the first bit and see how I like it.

That Allante Intake looks Sooooo nice. That will be high on my priority to get once the car is on the road.

P.S. how is the bearing working coming along.

Bearing work is getting expensive for sure! I'm going to the local salvage yard this weekend looking for another 4.9. They sell complete engines for $99 you pull it. If I find one I'll replace the main bearings and connecting rod bearings in it, throw my delta cam in with a new timing chain set, install my heads and intake and use that. I'm looking at almost $800 in parts to rebuild the engine I have now and thats not including getting the cam bearings installed or the connecting rod I messed up, which I cant find. Hopefully the yard has something. I want to have this thing together before the Dells Run in June.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2005 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

7680 posts
Member since Nov 2000
As for wires, just get the 8.5 super conductor wires for a V8 that you make to custom length. Thats the set I ordered from Summit. You can also modify a MSD Distributor cap for a HEI distributor to work on the 4.9. The MSD HEI coil will work in place of the stock coil as well.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2005 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Today is the Big Day. Camera battery is charged. Wallet in back pocket, cell phone has full charge, made sure I have some spare CASH on me. Credit car has room on it. John and I are taking his truck down to Tukwilla Washinton to get my motor. I have spoke with the wrecking yard a couple of times. As of Tuesday the motor was scheduled to be removed from the car and special notes were applied to get it removed in one piece with all the harness and everything in one big chunk nothing cut. I asked for the leading edge of the exhuast system so I have the flanges off of the headers.

I will take plenty of pics and am planning on meeting up with a Jet City Fiero member while we are down there, that just happens to be doing a (you guessed it) a 4.9 V8 swap himself rushing to get it done for www.arlington.westcoastfieros.com

Oh Boy, Oh Boy Oh Boy. I feel more nevervouse than a little kid on his first day of school.

Wish Me Luck

If there is anyone else in the Tuckwilla area that wants to join us for dinner. Probably around 3-4pm or so. 6074-807-2623 Steve is setting it up.

------------------

fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2005 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well Today is the Big Day. Camera battery is charged. Wallet in back pocket, cell phone has full charge, made sure I have some spare CASH on me. Credit car has room on it. John and I are taking his truck down to Tukwilla Washinton to get my motor. I have spoke with the wrecking yard a couple of times. As of Tuesday the motor was scheduled to be removed from the car and special notes were applied to get it removed in one piece with all the harness and everything in one big chunk nothing cut. I asked for the leading edge of the exhuast system so I have the flanges off of the headers.

I will take plenty of pics and am planning on meeting up with a Jet City Fiero member while we are down there, that just happens to be doing a (you guessed it) a 4.9 V8 swap himself rushing to get it done for www.arlington.westcoastfieros.com

Oh Boy, Oh Boy Oh Boy. I feel more nevervouse than a little kid on his first day of school.

Wish Me Luck

If there is anyone else in the Tuckwilla area that wants to join us for dinner. Probably around 3-4pm or so. 6074-807-2623 Steve is setting it up.

Ugh! What happened? My wife said you called and they did not pull the motor for you so when you showed up you only paid for it and that you went home with an empty truck. That stinks, I can not understand how that happened, sounds like you told them you were coming from Canada, didn't they say they would pull it when you called them? I feel bad that this happened to you, I hope the engine is worth it and that you do not have any issues when you install it. You've already gone through enough! Maybe we can still meet when you pick it up.

------------------

87 notchback 4.9L swap in progress
Custom LED Notchback Tail Lights

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave