1927 Pontiac Fiero by toddshotrods
Started on: 07-14-2007 02:36 PM
Replies: 406 (24442 views)
Last post by: toddshotrods on 06-02-2010 07:35 PM
fierohobby

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2007 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by toddshotrods:

You're one heck of a research man Thanks

Seconded. GM, if it's not what you do for a living, you ought to look into it.

I gotta chew on this for a while... That's a lot of copper...

Indeed. Not to be too indelicate, but it'll look like a rolling still... . Which is ok if that's what you're after.

I'm going to suggest dark navy for a body color, with the aluminum look wheels and seats. The seat inserts and trunk are good in leather.

Alternately, how about one of the two rarest Fiero colors- the factory blue or yellow?

And, you might not be able to model it, but I think the trunk would look cool with a bow top. If you need measurements, pictures, or even something to duplicate in fiberglass I have one in the garage.

-fh

IP: Logged
toddshotrods

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2007 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierohobby:
Indeed. Not to be too indelicate, but it'll look like a rolling still... ...

Actually, I had a rough day dealing with an incompetent sub contractor and you made me laugh - which I really needed.

...I'm going to suggest dark navy for a body color, with the aluminum look wheels and seats. The seat inserts and trunk are good in leather.

Alternately, how about one of the two rarest Fiero colors- the factory blue or yellow?...

I am going to try more color/texture combos and will keep your suggestions in mind. I think I am getting past the fascination with copper on this particular project. It seems to be limiting things too much.

...And, you might not be able to model it, but I think the trunk would look cool with a bow top. If you need measurements, pictures, or even something to duplicate in fiberglass I have one in the garage...

I can model that, I am just roughing things in with simple shapes to save time. Eventually, I will start modeling things more accurately to get a good look at what the end result will be; but that's after some decisions about the specifics have been made. Everything you see in the current model is roughed in or borrowed from another digital project to save time.

------------------
toddshotrods.com - wanna ride?
crazy projects, features, articles, art & more

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 08-08-2007).]

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2007 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

toddshotrods

1177 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Glad I can help! Alot of these ideas I've had and it isn't that much harder to find for this application.

Try trans and engine block in iron.

zinc

Expensive but I really like that cast iron paint. I'll bet my powdercoater has something similar, hmmm...

I gotta get back to work, more later...

------------------

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2007 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like this better:

Green wheels, engine block and transaxle; with "cast iron" accents including the heads, valve covers, intake, exhaust, etc. Might be able to do blackened or gray anodized aluminum on the heads, valve covers, intake, etc. - all the parts that are made from aluminum. I would be replacing copper with a cast iron look; and trying to make all the parts with that finish look like they were handcrafted by a real blacksmith. Aluminum would be nice to do this with because I can easily give the parts a "hammered" finish before applying the blackening or anodizing, That paint Gokart found would look nice over hammered steel parts.

Got any blacksmithing images for us o' master of research

------------------

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 08-08-2007).]

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2007 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dupli-Color® Engine Enamel with Ceramic
Resists temperatures up to 500 degrees F, Durable ceramic formulation, Superior high gloss finishes, Oil and gas resistant, Will not blister, flake, crack or peel, 36 colors matched to OEM standards, 6 Classic Colors, 7 Hot Rod Colors, EZ Touch® Nozzle
DE 1651 Cast Coat Iron
DE 1641 Grabber Green (Lime)

Dupli-Color® High Heat Paint with Ceramic
Resists temperatures up to 1200 degrees F, intermittently, Durable ceramic formulation, Tough cured finish resists oil, gas grease, rust, salt, humidity, and solvents, 6 colors, EZ Touch® Nozzle

DE 1612 Gray Engine Primer

Get at your local auto parts place.

blacksmithing...tool 1...tool 2...results 1...results 2

another expensive paint for tubes and non coolant hoses

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 08-08-2007).]

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little off topic but, I have decided to go with the cast iron look for the Timepiece. I am going to use my trike project to satisfy my copper cravings...

Now back to 1927...

------------------

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 08-09-2007).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it going to be Fiero powered also? n/m, I just read the build up on your site.
What's the trailer going to look like?

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 08-09-2007).]

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...What's the trailer going to look like?

Thanks for the thumb

What trailer?!?

------------------

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW, thanks for the compliments guys! I have been a hotel front desk and reservationist ( part concierge ) and a chauffeur ( not just a driver ). I'm enjoying this thread with the different approach besides billet aluminium, fiberglass body parts and digital gadgets. Not to mention I have a bit of free time right now...

Back to more ideas:
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6159/quizzeg4.jpg
http://www.marreyt-classics...kfotos/11F3Belle.JPG

air horn?
http://img168.imageshack.us...quizesquisitoqq1.jpg

bare metal hood
http://www.marreyt-classics...otos/33F1Corsica.JPG

http://www.marreyt-classics...otos/33F3Corsica.JPG

edit added pics

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 08-14-2007).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gokart Mozart

12143 posts
Member since Mar 2003

What trailer?!?

lol just poking in another idea.
You don't plan on hauling the trike around on a modern aluminium trailer when you show the two together?
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2007 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lol just poking in another idea.
You don't plan on hauling the trike around on a modern aluminium trailer when you show the two together?

lol, I'll have cross that bridge when I get there, and as slow as things are moving here that'll be a while... I have been tossing my five projects around in my head trying to establish a pecking order.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been browsing through issues of Street Rodder and Rod & Custom all day - man, I want to get this car built and on the road!!! I am really tempted to sell the Camaro before winter so I can definitely have the Timepiece out for next season. I actually like my Camaro and don't really want to sell it, but I think I could live without it for this little toy

------------------

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been browsing through issues of Street Rodder and Rod & Custom all day

Throw in Classic & Sport Car.

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 08-10-2007).]

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mean throw in big bucks Just kidding, I like those too, just don't have them here to look at right now...

------------------

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2007 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, its a mag that you can buy at Borders or Barnes and Noble.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2007 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to see it with wires. Now I want the Daytons - darn it

------------------

The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2007 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will always have a thumbs up for Daytons from me. I actually really wants Daytons for my Fiero I just need to get it to a point where new wheels are more important than keeping it running in the first place. I have actually seen a lot of cool old vehicles this last week that kept me thinking of your project.

I was in Indianapolis visiting my mother and on one day we went to the Indy state faire where they had a whole slew of old tractors including two steam powered behemoths. Sadly I missed the tractor demonstration in which I would have seen one of them actually run (talk about steampunk wet dream). I did get to see two incredible kerosene tractors move there weight around (companies Mogul and Titan) you can see them in the brochure that you can download here Tractor Show Info. They were so ridiculously awesome I loved every second of it. That and I got to goto the Indianapolis Motor Speedway museum where they had plenty of 20s/30s/40s Indy cars that were equally incredible, but for some reason I didn't take my camera there either. In short I got to see a lot of old machinery this last week and I am reaffirmed in how much I love old cars and machinery.

I am happy to see your still making progress on the 1927 Fiero though I am curious as to what you have in mind for headlights and tail lights I haven't seen any on your drawings or 3D models yet and some of the pictures you posted as inspiration I started noticing those details. Looks good.

Daniel
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2007 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still up in the air on the headlights but I have an idea on the tail lights. I saw something while browsing through the mags that caught my attention, but didn't snap a pic to put in my digital Timepiece folder. I'll see if I can find it, or do some kind of rendering...

------------------

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a headlight I'm trying to find but can't. In Feb 2000 Street Rodder there's a car that has 1927 Jordan Playboy (E&L) headlights that might look good. It's cigar shaped and frenched.

other ideas

This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

$$$

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 08-15-2007).]

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an idea on how i would do this one, and be DOT approved.

I'd tell but I'd have to kill you Seriously though, I need to look into it because that presents an option for a street rod part I could produce and market. If I do, you're getting compensated Master of Research (serious).

------------------

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 08-15-2007).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

PFF
System Bot
fierohobby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The (simulated) Daytons do look good. Not crazy about the green though.

Maybe the headlights could pop out from the upper sides of the cowl?

-fh
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The (simulated) Daytons do look good. Not crazy about the green though.

Maybe the headlights could pop out from the upper sides of the cowl?

-fh

Thanks. Pop-out headlights are definitely under consideration; especially with the radiator in back because there would be room for them to tuck in. What I like is it would add another "Fiero" charateristic. I would make the manual though to make them "1927". Probably a lever you pull/push, with a linkage rod running forward the mechanism.

------------------

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

toddshotrods

1177 posts
Member since Aug 2004
I like some of those caps Gokart Would be interesting to have a radiator cap like that on the top of the trunk, huh?

------------------

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chief in front and pegasus in back...
fierohobby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks. Pop-out headlights are definitely under consideration; especially with the radiator in back because there would be room for them to tuck in. What I like is it would add another "Fiero" charateristic. I would make the manual though to make them "1927". Probably a lever you pull/push, with a linkage rod running forward the mechanism.

Exactly!

-fh
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I MUST have this on it!

------------------

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Probably a lever you pull/push, with a linkage rod running forward the mechanism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_GT
One unusual feature of the Opel GT was the operation of the pop-up headlights. They were manually operated, by way of a large lever along the center console next to the shifter. Unlike most pop-up headlights, they both rotated in the same direction (counterclockwise from inside the car) about a longitudinal axis. One standard joke about GT owners was that you can easily spot them due to the heavy muscles on their right arm built up by using the lever to pop up the headlights.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/c...trations/gthlght.gif
The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I MUST have this on it!

Is there any benefit to having a switch like this? I would be worried about accidentally hitting it while driving, not that it would be dangerous but it would probably be an inconvenience. If you must have it may I suggest recessing it in the dash and fabricating an extension that is metal and more ornamental to fit the time period, a big plastic button doesn't speak 1927 to me.
fierohobby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I MUST have this on it!

Cool. That lends itself to all kinds of creative possibilities...

-fh
PFF
System Bot
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Poopsmith:
Is there any benefit to having a switch like this? I would be worried about accidentally hitting it while driving, not that it would be dangerous but it would probably be an inconvenience. If you must have it may I suggest recessing it in the dash and fabricating an extension that is metal and more ornamental to fit the time period, a big plastic button doesn't speak 1927 to me.

Not to worry, the plastic button wouldn't last long after the package is opened; and the switch wouldn't be positioned so that I would push it all the way in and shut the ignition off while driving. I'll have to reach for it.

As for the benefit, I couldn't say it any better than:

Cool. That lends itself to all kinds of creative possibilities... -fh

------------------

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 08-17-2007).]

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

toddshotrods

1177 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Oh yeah, the pop-OUT lights are "in" Thanks guys, "our" Fiero is really shaping up

------------------

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

toddshotrods

1177 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Edited : got carried away and don't want it to get the thread lost in space...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 08-17-2007).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2007 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this was the pre-prototype

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2007 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm starting to think Captain Kirk's whole "to boldly go where no man has gone before" line was just made up drama for the television cameras! Just when you think you're doing something really different...

Darn you King of all Research, now what are we gonna do?!? Just kidding that's a sweet hot rod One of the best mid-engine street rods I have ever seen - it looks like it came that way. I absolutely love his coil-overs!

------------------

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 08-19-2007).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2007 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you kidding? His is modern without a trunk and the radiator is in the front, not to mention 1+1 seating! The Timepiece is still uncharted waters.Think of this as an existing test model. You can see where the trunk will go and with some photochopping you can see the width. hmmm....
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2007 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you kidding?...

...Just kidding ...

Uh, yeah (just kidding again...)

We gonna make that thing look like a brown-bagged pint of Mad Dog beside a sip of vintage chardonnay! Just kidding again - I like that car...

------------------

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2007 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

toddshotrods

1177 posts
Member since Aug 2004

...hmmm....

Can't wait to see what that means

------------------

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2007 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

toddshotrods

1177 posts
Member since Aug 2004
I have been playing with the numbers, trying to figure out how cheap I can do this; and how light I can make it. Obviously, the cheaper it is the faster I can have it built and start driving it. The lighter it is the more I can take it to far away locations. Ideally, I would like for it to be so light that I can flat tow it behind my Honda. I was worried about flat towing an automatic but a little "amateur-class" research found a solution. About those numbers...

If I really stick to the rat rod theme, and make use of what I have lying around, I can possibly get this car built, running, and registered for around $1500!
    * 250.00 - chassis
    * 750.00 - body
    * 500.00 - mechanical; misc.
    *$1500

I don't see how it can weigh more than 1000lbs:
    * 500 - powertrain
    * 350 - chassis
    * 150 - body, int, misc.
    * 1000lbs

Help me think. Am I forgetting or missing anything?

------------------

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 08-19-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors