aldl cable by gregr75
Started on: 02-23-2024 11:54 AM
Replies: 5 (186 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 02-25-2024 05:16 PM
gregr75

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2024 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gregr75Send a Private Message to gregr75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an old win XP laptop with a serial port and I'm looking to buy an aldl serial cable (i know there are usb versions too) to run winaldl but I noticed some cable manufacturers include a 12 V cigarette plug, for power? What? Why does the cable have to be powered?

[This message has been edited by gregr75 (edited 02-23-2024).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gregr75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2024 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gregr75Send a Private Message to gregr75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

obd2allinone.com/products/aldlobd1.asp
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2024 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I used to use a serial version of the OBD1 cable years ago before I switched to a USB version. I don't recall the serial cable having a plug for the cigarette lighter. Perhaps send PFF member phonedawgz a PM and ask him about it, as he sells these cables.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2024 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a guess but I think the cigarette lighter plug means the cable has a built in Serial I/O converter that converts the 160 baud coming out of the ALDL connector to an RS-232 compatible signal. That makes reading the port a whole lot easier (and compatible with most/all ALDL software available).

If you use WinALDL, you don't need the converter since everything is done in software.

But again, that's just a guess.
gregr75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2024 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gregr75Send a Private Message to gregr75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK from the manufacturers instructions for the serial cable "The 12V lighter plug needs to be plugged in to power the circuitry located in the DB-9 connector"

But, I just realized My laptop has a VGA port, not a serial port. duh. So I'll be buying a USB aldl cable after all.

Patrick, I seem to recall you had problems getting your XP laptop to recognize the usb virtual serial port, when ypu got your usb cable. was there anything specific you did? I see a related thread here.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129953.html

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2024 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gregr75:

Patrick, I seem to recall you had problems getting your XP laptop to recognize the usb virtual serial port, when ypu got your usb cable. was there anything specific you did?

It's too long ago for me to remember the finer details, but it had something to do with the BAUD rate for the COM Port.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock