how to remove rusted seat by Fastback88
Started on: 02-14-2024 06:28 AM
Replies: 5 (120 views)
Last post by: Fastback88 on 02-17-2024 10:31 PM
Fastback88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2024 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback88Send a Private Message to Fastback88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do I remove a drivers seat that I can't move forward at all? All 4 nuts really rusted ,front left is broken off. The car has been in storage since 1997.
Passenger seat is fine.
Any tips or tricks welcome.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2024 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good penetrating oil is your friend, I use kleen-flo honey goo on stubborn bolts, it helps a lot, with a bonus being that it is fairly easy to clean up, and smells so so so good (honey). I personally don't know the tricks and workings of the seats, but I'm sure there's some way to get them out once penetrating oil has done it's stuff.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2024 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, Careful use of pen oil can help. Remove obvious crap then apply a bit then wait hours apply again then overnight. even repeat next day or more when rust is bad before you try to remove. You don't need oil everywhere, just a drop or 3 @ a time should work.

For rear seat nuts...
https://spectools.com/produ...rench-model-sqw-100/
& other "ratchet" head & other "weird" wrenches often are needed there. More so because you can't move the seat forward.

Squeezewrench work same as others when too tight/rusty to release then once loose the squeeze function is very handy. But don't force it & break the "sockets" or the stud.

Note: video showing a "switch" for direction & some other items is only on the "pro" version.
unlike most seen on TV crap, Skew/Spectools have made good tools for decades.
I have 1 Squeezewrench in the car forever because have to take P-side seat out just for big dog to go anywhere in Fiero.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2024 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found Kroil works really well on rusted bolts.

However I would also consider cutting the nut off (split it) - less risk of snapping the stud. Although if bad the stud will snap when you install a new nut. Make sure you clean the threads well before installing.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2024 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, a small nut "cracker" might work but most don't have them or want to buy a tool only use once. Many stores only have larger versions to handle nuts ~ 1/2" & bigger threads.

If have a "dremel" can cut the front nuts w/ thin cut wheel this way...

Cut more then once if needed, avoiding the bolt thread.

Many have very thin cut wheels that came in a tool kit but also make "heavy duty" that's a bit thicker could work too. Reinforce wheels are too thick for small nuts to control the cut.

Even if have left nut threads in place, screw driver etc can break it or threads don't have strength left to hold tight turning now.

Back nuts often don't rust unless sunroof leaking etc.
Front nuts & track rust because of crap on your feet like road salt in winter.

W/o pulling the seat, maybe get lucky just oil the track but Fiero is so low very hard to do that w/o making a huge mess.
Fastback88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2024 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback88Send a Private Message to Fastback88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car has been in storage since 1997 , the front bolts are bad and I can't see the rear. Tomorrow I will have more time to dive into it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock