LED tail lights? by HoosierFiero
Started on: 12-21-2023 12:06 PM
Replies: 9 (291 views)
Last post by: theogre on 12-24-2023 11:46 AM
HoosierFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2023 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HoosierFieroSend a Private Message to HoosierFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been searching online to see if their is an LED conversion for the 86 se notchback tail lights. I found 1 reputable source but they are closed down now.
Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2023 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mean you kindof need to just try some and see if they work well, for the record, Holley retrobright LEDs are NOT good, their parking light brightness is brighter then incandescent, but there full brake brightness is the same brightness as incandescent, making it hard to notice you apply the brakes. The standard bulb is an 1157/2057 for brighter lights and quicker turn on, get 2357, also incandescent. Search 1157/2057 for all the LEDs, check out stuff from legitimate light stores, not just generic Amazon, for example here in Canada, prolightz has a lot of good stuff.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2023 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a recent thread with members comments on the subject:

LED tail light bulbs by sledcaddie
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/147180.html

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2023 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/078724.html

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 12-21-2023).]

HoosierFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2023 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HoosierFieroSend a Private Message to HoosierFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From my understanding nsl performance is no longer in business. At least that's what their Facebook says
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2023 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HoosierFiero:

From my understanding nsl performance is no longer in business. At least that's what their Facebook says

I just messaged him so I'll let you know.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2023 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The vendor Above & similar that make/made "kits" have various problems, many same as "drop in" bulb replacement w/ some highlights cover in the cave.
https://web.archive.org/web...cast.net/~fierocave/ in lighting

Taking pictures of taillights etc working is often harder to do right & often edit tricks are needed
&/or
the "kits" are way bright that blind other drivers at night. Worse when have rear Amber turn lights. Even when cops ignore over bright taillights, good luck if wrecked dealing w/ Insurance or getting sued.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2023 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed LED lighting in the tail lights and parking lights about 8 years ago. I used LEDs from TLG auto but they are out of business. So find a good replacement LED for the 1157 bulb. Find a "LED compatable" flasher. I use a United Pacific part number 90650. They be found on Ebay, Summit Racing or other places. Doing this you do not have to cut your wiring and installing load resistors. I hate cutting into the factory wiring harness. Here is a link on how I did mine.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jgunsett/LED.html

Jack
87GT3800SC5SPD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2023 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT3800SC5SPDSend a Private Message to 87GT3800SC5SPDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have replaced every bulb except the gauge cluster with LED lights from VLEDS.

They are not the ordinary LEDs that you find on Amazon or eBay, but they are very good quality. They also are not cheap, but to me it's worth it to not have problems and can spend my time on other projects.

https://www.vleds.com

------------------
Bill Levin

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2023 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by J Gunsett:
I installed LED lighting in the tail lights and parking lights about 8 years ago. I used LEDs from TLG auto but they are out of business.
They Are Not Out of Business but Change Names 2 or more times now because they knowingly sell Illegal "Upgrades" along w/ High $ Trucklite & some others that are "DOT Legal."
TLG / BTR is same Fly by Night group that "folded" to sell to more w/ new name.

Osram/Sylanvia, Pilot & many more label LED for cars as "Off Road Use Only," some easy to see but other hidden on back w/ small print, because is Illegal to install in external lights for vehicles then heavily market as "best light upgrade" around to fools just to get more money.

Osram Germany owns Sylania now just that name for North America markets.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock