Northstar engine swap wiring questions by Lambokit
Started on: 11-29-2023 09:22 AM
Replies: 2 (187 views)
Last post by: darkhorizon on 11-30-2023 12:54 PM
Lambokit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2023 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LambokitSend a Private Message to LambokitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Everyone!
I'm looking for anyone with some experience with wiring a modern motor into a Kit car specifically on a Fiero chassis.
I have a 1985 Fiero with a 2007 DTS Northstar engine and transmission mounted in the back. I have the entire engine harness ECM/TCM and even the fuse box.
I also have the existing wiring and fuse box that was in the Fiero. What I want to do is just power both fuse boxes and run the DTS engine, Radiator fans, Transmission cooler fan, using the DTS fuse box. Also power the Fiero Fuse box and run the lights, windows, radio, HVAC using parts of that harness.

If anyone would be able to speak to this and possibly help in person or just over the phone it would be greatly appreciated.
Please message me back if you have the skills and knowledge to help me out. I don't mind doing the work I just have lots of questions.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sleek fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2023 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI;
Yes I have done similar but what I did was modernize my 2.8 and left the chassis wiring alone. I changed to an aftermarket ecu and built a new engine harness. You have a harness for your engine that should match your ecu that came with the engine. Is your engine drive by wire? If so you should get the throttle pedal from the doner car to adapt into your car. If not then so much easier. I would mount your ecu where your original was . I would do a google search to see if someone has a schematic made to show which wires that have to be retained and spliced into the new harness. there have been so many of this sort of transplant done I am sure the info will turn up from members and by using the search feature here. sleek
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2023 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Generally the simple approach is to dedicate the IGN INJ1 and INJ2 wires/fuses out of the fiero fusebox and divide them up into what the new motor needs. In this situation you will eliminate the donar car fusebox and replace the 15 or so items that need power with the INJ1 and INJ2 wires. I usually dedicate the IGN fuse directly to the coils as they take up 80% of the power the engine management needs anyway. You will then use the OEM fiero cooling fan stuff, and likely add some new wire for the transmission fan, then run it off of the same trigger as the cooling fan.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock