Identifying engine wiring harness connectors - 2.8L by Cunnive
Started on: 08-31-2023 12:33 PM
Replies: 9 (204 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 09-04-2023 08:35 PM
Cunnive

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2023 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CunniveSend a Private Message to CunniveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(Fiero SE 86 2.8L)

Hey folks, I am in the process of rebuilding my wiring harness with fresh new connectors but I am not sure what the connectors are called so I was hoping you fine fiero friends can help identify them for me! I took a bunch of pictures that I can add but i'll include a picture of the entire wiring harness and can add more as time progresses. I also numbered the connectors to help point them out too.

I know #8 are the battery connectors and #6 is the AC connector (I play to upgrade this to R134 - let me know what I should get to replace this connector with for compatibility)

Thank you again!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fliphone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2023 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fliphoneSend a Private Message to fliphoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll check my donor engine tonight if someone hasn't filled in the gaps, but off the top of my head I can say #1 is the intake air temp (the sensor on the air filter can)

------------------
Black 88 GT, a 19 year old here about 20 years to late
-LQ1 Swap in progress-

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2023 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know every one of these connectors by heart; however, I can't really see them in this picture very well. If you wouldn't mind taking pictures of the ones you haven't figured out yet, the actual connectors themselves (zoomed in), I can identify every single one of these for you.
Cunnive

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2023 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CunniveSend a Private Message to CunniveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I know every one of these connectors by heart; however, I can't really see them in this picture very well. If you wouldn't mind taking pictures of the ones you haven't figured out yet, the actual connectors themselves (zoomed in), I can identify every single one of these for you.

Here are a close-up of the connectors. If you don't mind, could you let me know the technical name of the connector? That way I have a better way of finding the connector part online.

Ty!

Connector 1

Connector 2

Connector 3

Connector 4

Connector 5

Connector 6 (3 in 1)

Unmarked Connector 1

Unmarked Connector 2

Connector 9

Connector 10 (3 in 1)

Connector 11 (2 in 1)

[This message has been edited by Cunnive (edited 09-03-2023).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2023 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, first pass... it's 11:02 and have been working on the house for the past 12 hours, so exhausted... but I'll come back and address any I missed...

Connector 1 - Cyl head temperature sensor?

Connector 2 - Totally drawing a blank... I should know this one...

Connector 3 - A/C Connector (?)

Connector 4 - Also for the A/C

Connector 5 - Fuel Injector Harness (there should be another harness that connects to this which has 6 fuel injector connectors on it)

Connector 6 (3 in 1) - Two of these are the alternator connectors, I forget what the rounded two-prong connector is for though...

Unmarked Connector 1 - Cold start injector (square) and possibly the oil pressure sending unit connector

Unmarked Connector 2 - Likely the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor if it's a long cable by itself.

Connector 9 - Vacuum Solenoid Connector

Connector 10 (3 in 1) - Hard to tell, but I think the 4-pronged connector is for the cruise control, the 2-pronged is for the vehicle speed sensor, and possibly the 2 separate prongs might be what's left of the cyl head temperature sensor connector.

Connector 11 (2 in 1) - 3-pronged is the Throttle Position Sensor / TPS, and the 4-pronged block is the Idle Air Control valve connector (IAC)
I feel like there's some things missing here. There should also be a connector for the MAP sensor (which his a three-pronged connector), also the O2 sensor, and also the fuel pump connector. I think there are also four temperature sensors... one for the air intake (which goes on the canister), one for the cyl head temperature (computer), another to control the fans (also goes in the cyl head or engine), and another that goes to the temperature gauge on the gauge cluster. So that can get a little confusing. All the connectors are a little different, but they're all 2-pronged connectors.

What year car is this again? It does change a little from year to year, but again, I think you might be missing a couple of things. Do you have any other harnesses?

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 09-03-2023).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2023 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Connector 1 IAT - Aptiv 15326143
Connector 2 TCC Lock UP - That is a weatherpack connector. Note the blue color denotes keying that is different from black or gray connectors.
Connector 3 Fan Switch -
Connector 4 AC Clutch - Aptiv 02973407
Connector 5 AT Prindl switch connector
Connector 6 VSS - Black 2 pin Weatherpack Aptiv 12015792-B
Connector 6 Alternator - Pico 5432PT
Connector 6 Starter wire - Standard ring terminal - Boot might be 02984033-B or maybe 06294501-B
Unmarked 1 - Injector connector - Aptiv 12129142-B
Unmarked 2 CTS - Metripack Aptiv 12162194-B
Connector 9 - Black 4 pin Weatherpack - Aptiv 12015797
Connector 10 2 wire distributor Metripack connector - Aptiv 12162194-B
Connector 10 4 wire distributor Metripack connector - Aptiv 12162191-B
Connector 10 Coolant gauge coolant light connector - Rodney Dickman - http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=174
Connector 11 4 wire IAC connector - Aptiv 12015798
Connector 11 3 wire TPS connector - Aptiv 12015793

Note on Weatherpack connectors - Note both the color and the latch on the connector - The towers of a weatherpack connector are "keyed" so supposedly you can't put the wrong connectors together. I have seen people force the wrong connectors together, so that doesn't always work. But for example on a 3 tower weatherpack flat connector colored black, there are two different types of latches and the towers are keyed differently. So watch for that. And also the color of the weather pack connector needs to match, generally. I don't think you will find a new blue TCC lock up connector. You could always use a black one and cut the keyways in the connector.

Metripack connectors can be push to seat or pull to seat. Generally, if the seal is a single piece for multiple wires the connector is pull to seat. If the metripack connector has individual seals, the connector is push to seat.

Also, hit me up, I can sell you most of these connectors. You will need the terminals and seals also. I only gave you the connector numbers. Best way is to email me at the email address associated with my username phonedawgz (I don't want to put it here and get even more spam). Just look up my user name if interested

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-03-2023).]

Vintage-Nut

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2023 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Impressive!

------------------
Original Owner of a '88 GT and under 'Production Refurbishment'

Cunnive

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2023 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CunniveSend a Private Message to CunniveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you for all the help but I wanted to clarify what my intention is with this wiring harness.

I am not looking to replace the plastic connector but actually cut the entire connector off and just sodder on a new one. Something like THIS as an example.

I wasn't sure if that was clear so I wanted to mention that quickly.

Thank you!
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2023 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

Impressive!

Yeah, definitely. I think I'm going to steal these pictures, and Green Bay's information, and turn it into a help page!
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2023 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the only way you can get the connectors with the proper color pigtails is to have someone make them. Most pigtails use generic colors. For example -

https://www.delcity.net/sto...xr0c6cUaAi4YEALw_wcB

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock