3.1 Cam recommendation request by e-rock
Started on: 06-27-2023 09:16 AM
Replies: 7 (167 views)
Last post by: e-rock on 06-29-2023 09:31 PM
e-rock

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2023 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for e-rockSend a Private Message to e-rockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all,
I’ve got an 87 GT that I’m planning on restoring after it has sat for a number of years. It was in great, if mostly stock, shape previously but now that it’s no longer a daily driver I want to spend a little more time and money on the engine.

In addition to things like a high volume oil pump, I am planning on doing the 3.1 stroker upgrade and want to upgrade the cam at the same time. However…most of the info I’ve found on the forum is older and at least one of the companies that was highly recommended, Crane, is out of business. From what I’ve gathered, the Fiero does better with a cam with differing intake and exhaust profiles but I haven’t come across any of those in current production.

So can anyone kindly give me some guidance on the current options available that give a worthwhile improvement? (Also, I’m not currently planning on a swap because I adore the look of the stock intake plenum and the 3.4 swap seems like it might be a hassle to find a decent block nowadays, though I could be wrong).

Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
e-rock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2023 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for e-rockSend a Private Message to e-rockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edit to add:

I decided to go with an Edelbrock 3790. Less aggressive than some options but said to be very street friendly. Shame Crane went under as well regarded as they were
sleek fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2023 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would try Crower cams I hav a stroker and used their 3050 flat tappet hydraulic cam. iIt might be to aggressive for you but they have other profiles to choose from. Whatever you choose get the matching springs and lifters for long cam life. sleek
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2023 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Comp cams are very good to deal with.

A cam is not the key to significant power increase on these engines though - you have to improve flow in both exhaust and intake tracts before a cam change will do much good. The horrible design in the Fiero exhaust where the factory avoided one extra machining process that would have resulted in an increase in flow that would have given a surprising number of added bhp.

The heads also benefit from work to improve flow - a fully prepped cast iron head will give flow numbers approximately the same as a dead stock unmodified alloy head off the later Gen 2 engines.

If you do all of that first, then a cam will certainly improve matters, but the usual suggested cams are pretty mild. I used the Crane 272 in my street build 3.4 and it works very well.
sleek fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2023 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And yes Crane cams is still in business.
e-rock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2023 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for e-rockSend a Private Message to e-rockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

Comp cams are very good to deal with.

A cam is not the key to significant power increase on these engines though - you have to improve flow in both exhaust and intake tracts before a cam change will do much good. The horrible design in the Fiero exhaust where the factory avoided one extra machining process that would have resulted in an increase in flow that would have given a surprising number of added bhp.

The heads also benefit from work to improve flow - a fully prepped cast iron head will give flow numbers approximately the same as a dead stock unmodified alloy head off the later Gen 2 engines.

If you do all of that first, then a cam will certainly improve matters, but the usual suggested cams are pretty mild. I used the Crane 272 in my street build 3.4 and it works very well.

Fortunately, I had previously ported the exhaust manifold (classic GM cost cutting at its finest, I'll accept the shortcomings of the intake and head to be explained by the technology of the era but the exhaust manifold is just ridiculous). I've been timid about grinding on the intake manifold or head itself though, afraid I'll mess it up but I'm considering finding a reputable machine shop. I'm only really shooting for moderate improvements so I may just end up leaving the heads be.

Is yours in a manual or auto? Mine's auto (I should've included that in the original post) and I heard the more aggressive cams don't play nice with the autos. I am glad your set-up works well for you though!

Oh and funny enough, the Edelbrock cam is made by COMP. Came in a COMP box and everything. I assume they must pay them to grind it to their specs. I'll post a few pics in case anyone is interested.
e-rock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2023 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for e-rockSend a Private Message to e-rockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

e-rock

10 posts
Member since May 2011

e-rock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2023 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for e-rockSend a Private Message to e-rockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

e-rock

10 posts
Member since May 2011

Originally posted by sleek fiero:

I would try Crower cams I hav a stroker and used their 3050 flat tappet hydraulic cam. iIt might be to aggressive for you but they have other profiles to choose from. Whatever you choose get the matching springs and lifters for long cam life. sleek

I hadn't heard of them and I'll look into them, thank you!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock