TPS Voltage reading 15+ volts by Rjberner46
Started on: 04-24-2023 03:49 PM
Replies: 14 (299 views)
Last post by: traceymac on 05-01-2023 01:13 PM
Rjberner46

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2023 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rjberner46Send a Private Message to Rjberner46Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tps voltage at the harness is 15+ volts which is causing tps voltage to read high. Any idea why it would be so high?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2023 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

15+ volts? How is that possible? What is the voltage off the battery while the engine is running?
Rjberner46

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2023 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rjberner46Send a Private Message to Rjberner46Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My question exactly Patrick. I’m getting a different voltmeter and trying again. I’m gettin crazy readings off the battery as well. I’ll keep you posted.
Rjberner46

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2023 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rjberner46Send a Private Message to Rjberner46Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rjberner46

50 posts
Member since Jul 2020
My question exactly Patrick. I’m getting a different voltmeter and trying again. I’m gettin crazy readings off the battery as well. I’ll keep you posted.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2023 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TPS is getting 15+ V?
If true, ECM is likely dead.

All ECM sensors 5v, ground and signal direct from ECM.
Except O2 that generates 0-1V

Even if something shorted to "12v" from battery and alt side, ECM is likely dead now even if seems to work in other ways.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

sleek fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2023 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure it isn't 1.5 volts. I've made the mistake before.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2023 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sleek fiero:

Are you sure it isn't 1.5 volts?

That would make a whole lot more sense!
Rjberner46

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2023 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rjberner46Send a Private Message to Rjberner46Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a new multimeter and will check again tonight.
Rjberner46

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2023 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rjberner46Send a Private Message to Rjberner46Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rjberner46

50 posts
Member since Jul 2020
Old multi meter was bad. I'm getting 5 volts now so my ECM seems to be alright. I do need to change out the TPS. When I tested the signal there was not change as I increased the throttle position. Hopefully that fixes my high idle. Baby steps. Thanks for the input. It is appreciated.
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2023 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wire with 5 volts won’t change with throttle movement. There are 3 wires. 5 volt, ground and signal. Only the signal wire will change readings when throttle is opened. Should read around 0.5 volts closed, and over 4 volts wide open. Look for smooth increase in signal voltage as throttle is opened. This is where a graphing meter is nice.

------------------
10.007 @ 135.54MPH. <-- Video
Best 60' 1.42
Best mph 138.82
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 140lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, stock L32 bottom end and heads.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

[This message has been edited by LFiero67 (edited 04-25-2023).]

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rjberner46:

Old multi meter was bad. I'm getting 5 volts now so my ECM seems to be alright. I do need to change out the TPS. When I tested the signal there was not change as I increased the throttle position. Hopefully that fixes my high idle. Baby steps. Thanks for the input. It is appreciated.

The TPS doesn't cause a high idle. That's usually a vacuum leak or bad idle air control(IAC) valve.

As LFiero67 stated. the signal wire should read from .5V to over 4V at WOT.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rjberner46:

...my high idle.

Red flags in This thread.
traceymac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for traceymacSend a Private Message to traceymacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have replaced tps, iac ect among egr, chasing a erratic up and down idle. i had old always charging battery so replaced today, thinking maybe not getting good voltage. it finally went down and stayed at 110 rpm for a little while, but then went back to 2400rpm and gradually came down and low enough that it killed. did a new code check and it showed a 02 error, and continued to say check TPS for mal aligned adjustment. could a bad o2 sensor be screwing up the TPS ? curious why 02 sensor code would include this about TPS in the same sentence ? BTW 87 GT 2.8 any help would be good ! thank you
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2023 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Adding a question off the original topic is considered somewhat rude. You should start a new topic with your question. Anyway, the ECM in the Fiero is programmed to have a rather high idle after it is first connected to the battery. So yes, replacing the battery will make your Fiero idle rather fast on the first start-up, assuming you let it run long enough to get to the slow idle. If not the second and additional start-ups will be at a rather high idle until the ECM learns the engine. If you have additional questions, you do need to start your own thread.
traceymac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2023 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for traceymacSend a Private Message to traceymacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry for piggybacking this post. also thanks for your reply. what about the code description showing o2 sensor and check tps for adjustment ? are the 2 related ? thanks again

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock