OBD 2 Scanner by jon m
Started on: 12-22-2022 02:46 PM
Replies: 7 (452 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 12-30-2022 05:13 PM
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2022 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi - I picked up a OBD 2 scanner for cheap with 16 pins in the plug would I be able to use it on my 87 GT ?

Many thanks for any help / Opinions

Jon
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2022 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon m:

Hi - I picked up a OBD 2 scanner for cheap with 16 pins in the plug would I be able to use it on my 87 GT ?

Many thanks for any help / Opinions

Jon

Unfortunately, no. The Fiero predates OBDII.

I've read that there are adapters available, but you'd be better going with WinADL and a proper adapter.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2022 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most OBD2 scanners won't work even if you had adapters for old plugs.

Some older often discontinued units from Snap-on etc could "speak" many protocols for non-standardize "OBD1" computers.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2022 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can find an AutoXray 6000 (or maybe even a 4000) on eBay, it will read most any OBD1, like the Fiero, and will also do most OBDII. It even reads my 4.9 swap.
Provides sensor data and fault descriptions. Not just trouble codes.
AutoXray is out of business, and it's no longer supported, but my 6000 has never failed to talk to any car I've needed to mess with - from my Fieros, up to my OBDII GM stuff, including CANBUS vehicles. I forget if I've tried to use it with my 2019 Ram, but I'd be surprised if it didn't work for that one, too.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2022 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113703928754

Works with any stock Fiero. You will need a windows laptop that has a USB port. Includes software. eBay has reasonable international shipping options.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2022 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

GM OBD1 Scanner Cable & Software - USB to 12 pin ALDL direct. - GM OBDI!!

eBay has reasonable international shipping options.

So you ship internationally? If so, why do you not allow any country other than the United States to be selected under Shipping and handling?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-30-2022).]

Eliredandblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2022 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EliredandblackSend a Private Message to EliredandblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased an Actron CP 9690 that will read our old computers. The unit will also read new cars so that closed the deal. On my 88 GT FIERO, it worked well and gave me trouble codes. However, unlike the original Pontiac Scanners, it will not give voltage readouts for the engine components. My TPS was having trouble and the Service Manual wants it adjusted to various voltages. I just used the Bubba Method and keep bending the lever till the engine ran good.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2022 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eliredandblack:

I purchased an Actron CP 9690... On my 88 GT FIERO, it worked well and gave me trouble codes.

If trouble codes are all that it supplies from a Fiero, a paper clip would've sufficed.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock