Console bezel restoration by Corsair231
Started on: 12-02-2022 02:37 AM
Replies: 11 (397 views)
Last post by: css9450 on 12-06-2022 08:36 AM
Corsair231

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2022 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Corsair231Send a Private Message to Corsair231Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody making overlays/appliques for the bezels. Particularly for the 88-shifter surround, dot matrix pattern? If not, any techniques to recreate the patterns?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Corsair231 (edited 12-02-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2022 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There used to be vendors for those, but I'm not sure if they're still around. Some people have used vinyl "contact paper" with good success.
I've never seen anything that looks exactly like the 88 pattern, but there is some carbon fiber stuff that looks... similar.
Corsair231

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2022 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Corsair231Send a Private Message to Corsair231Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had thought about contact paper but finding the right shade/pattern will be a nightmare. No matter what, it would still look just a little off and would probably be very easily damaged. Carbon fiber is an option, but knowing me, I will probably want to wrap all of the other bezels to make them all match. I am planning an auto to manual swap. My auto surround is in very nice shape. I wonder if there is any way to convert mine to work with the manual shifter. I know the ash trays and switch panels are the same size. It would be nice if I could just pop the center out and put a shifter boot on it.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2022 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can try to message this person on Facebook and see if he ever completed his project:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 12-02-2022).]

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2022 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking about this too. Is the "Dot Matrix" pattern just a sticker applied to a molded plastic part? If so, it should be pretty easy to print and cut

I have customers with large format printers and CNC knife cutting machines that can print and cut such a pattern. Can anyone confirm if this is just a sticker? It would be pretty easy to match the color and pattern. Hopefully there is a CAD file somewhere of all the pieces showing the dimensions of the cutouts, profiles, etc. that would make the job even easier
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2022 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always thought it was molded into the pieces. And I own 88s.
Does not look like a separate "sheet".
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2022 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

40756 posts
Member since Oct 1999

Originally posted by Corsair231:
... I am planning an auto to manual swap. My auto surround is in very nice shape. I wonder if there is any way to convert mine to work with the manual shifter.

I had thought about doing the same. The automatic shift gate/display is longer/larger than the manual boot, if I remember correctly.
You'll likely need a custom boot, and also the plate that goes inside it to hold it down.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2022 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I've always thought it was molded into the pieces. And I own 88s.
Does not look like a separate "sheet".

perhaps- but even then, a good quality sticker should witht the same color/pattern would look just like the real thing

the challenge is - how do you align the sticker during install to make sure not to be crooked when placing over opening? Not sure...

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2022 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

the challenge is - how do you align the sticker during install to make sure not to be crooked when placing over opening? Not sure...

The decal would be applied wet. In other words a slightly soapy water would be sprayed on the surface of the bezel to allow the decal to slide around on the bezel. Once lined up, you use a squeegee to remove the water from under the decal. Then set the piece in a warm room so all the water will evaporate and the adhesive will stick.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2022 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone happen to have CAD drawings of the various face plates? If I can get my hands on this, I can get some sample decals printed to match dot matrix color and pattern. Could also do wood inlay look, etc.
Corsair231

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2022 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Corsair231Send a Private Message to Corsair231Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would definitely be interested in an overlay. The shifter area takes a lot of abuse and it's rare to find one that is not munked up in some way. Some overlays I have seen (for mainly older cars) are actually on something like a thin metal plate, almost like a stiff aluminum foil type thing. But for our cars, it looks like a decal would work great. I have a junk bezel coming in a couple of days that I will be able to study a little closer without tearing up my good one.
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2022 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be thrilled if a decal were available. I've been looking for a nicer automatic shift surround for a lot of years. And mine's not bad - it's just the little scratches and a couple blemishes that bug me.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock