Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Can a mild build 3800 Supercharged swap Fiero Pull a Wheelie? Lets find out.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Can a mild build 3800 Supercharged swap Fiero Pull a Wheelie? Lets find out. by DimeMachine
Started on: 07-03-2022 10:03 AM
Replies: 10 (484 views)
Last post by: La fiera on 07-30-2022 10:03 PM
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2022 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had this 3800 Supercharged Fiero for quite some time and last winter it occurred to me that this car might actually be able to pull a wheelie.

Fast forward to summer (better traction) and I decided to take on this challenge and see what I would need to do in order to pull my very first car wheelie.

Here is what happened.

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2022 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2022 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Impressive. How much torque do you think you had at launch?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2022 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If your last ditch effort of removing weight from the front had failed, you could've attached a bunch of helium balloons to the nose.
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2022 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Nice!

Thank you, sir!
crashyoung

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2022 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to see what happens to the 1/4 mile times.

Rather than having the power go into lifting the front, it would be better if the car went forward, faster, instead.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2022 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crashyoung:

I would like to see what happens to the 1/4 mile times.

Rather than having the power go into lifting the front, it would be better if the car went forward, faster, instead.

I'm no expert on drag racing, but I believe that the front end lifting allows weight transfer to the rear wheels, promoting better traction. Nothing ruins 1/4 mile times more than spinning tires off the line.

I would've liked to have seen DM do that last test with his street tires to see if the added weight transfer would've allowed for them to grip the asphalt off the line without any spin.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2022 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm no expert on drag racing, but I believe that the front end lifting allows weight transfer to the rear wheels, promoting better traction. Nothing ruins 1/4 mile times more than spinning tires off the line.

I would've liked to have seen DM do that last test with his street tires to see if the added weight transfer would've allowed for them to grip the asphalt off the line without any spin.

weight transfer is generally the biggest enemy of true drag racing, you want to leave with as little drama as possible so all of that energy goes into moving you forward.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2022 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

you want to leave with as little drama as possible so all of that energy goes into moving you forward.

Well sure, that would be great.

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

weight transfer is generally the biggest enemy of true drag racing

Anytime a vehicle moves, there's going to be weight transfer. In drag racing, the goal is to have the Total Force Vector intersect the rear tire patch. Some front end lift can be advantageous in order to accomplish this. Excessive front end lift is, yes, counterproductive.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-25-2022).]

longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2022 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't put physics into the equation, that might confuse people

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 3800SC, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2022 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can double the front tires lift off by limiting the extension of the front wheels on take off. I've never seen a dyno sheet of your car. How much torque does it make at 2500rpms?

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock