PUTTING 3.1 IN PLACE THE 2.8 by rameyusa
Started on: 10-28-2021 12:21 PM
Replies: 18 (347 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 10-31-2021 04:40 AM
rameyusa

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2021 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rameyusaSend a Private Message to rameyusaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 3.1 with the coil pack so how do i switch my 2.8 with this 3.1 i never done it but hear others have done it please help i am new

------------------
Kevin Ramey

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2021 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would probably be the later 3100 engine. It will bolt up but it is not directly compatible with the 2.8L. To use that engine a new harness and the 3100 computer would need to be used.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

rameyusa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2021 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rameyusaSend a Private Message to rameyusaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

That would probably be the later 3100 engine. It will bolt up but it is not directly compatible with the 2.8L. To use that engine a new harness and the 3100 computer would need to be used.

Ok i have the computer from the 3.1 but where would i get the harness ? is it the one that wqas made for the 3.1 ?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2021 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rameyusa:

Ok i have the computer from the 3.1 but where would i get the harness ? is it the one that was made for the 3.1 ?

Find a harness that went with that engine then take that harness and make a special harness using the Fiero 2.8L harness. It will take some rewiring of connectors.
rameyusa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2021 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rameyusaSend a Private Message to rameyusaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Find a harness that went with that engine then take that harness and make a special harness using the Fiero 2.8L harness. It will take some rewiring of connectors.

I do have the harness and the computer that came with that motor but not sure how to have it rewired to fit my fiero
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2021 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Couldn't Rameyusa use the 3.1 short block and put the 2.8 top end on it?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-29-2021).]

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2021 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What vehicle was the 3.1 out of?

rameyusa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2021 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rameyusaSend a Private Message to rameyusaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkS:

What vehicle was the 3.1 out of?

not sure all i have is the 3.1 motor and the wiring harness and the computer
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2021 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we might be able to figure it out with some pictures.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2021 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it a 3.1 (MPFI) or a 3100 (SFI)?
rameyusa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2021 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rameyusaSend a Private Message to rameyusaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Is it a 3.1 (MPFI) or a 3100 (SFI)?

it is a MPFI please see pictures added
PFF
System Bot
rameyusa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2021 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rameyusaSend a Private Message to rameyusaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rameyusa

9 posts
Member since Oct 2021

Originally posted by Gall757:

we might be able to figure it out with some pictures.

here are some pictures
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2021 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's already in a Fiero? Is this your engine? That is probably the LHO.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-30-2021).]

rameyusa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2021 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rameyusaSend a Private Message to rameyusaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's already in a Fiero? Is this your engine?

yes it is already in it and this is my car just need now hook up the harness or find out what to do
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2021 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what about the dogbone mount? as-is, without that mount, that motor will be dancing in the engine bay
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2021 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pyrthian

29569 posts
Member since Jul 2002

Couldn't Rameyusa use the 3.1 short block and put the 2.8 top end on it?

this is what I did. with that exact same motor. but, you do need to make a few changes. first is you need to use iron head pistons. next, a neutral balanced flywheel (one from a 88 fiero)

the new pistons will also mean you need to get the rotating assembly balanced.

and - most important - the Fiero top end has pretty poor airflow. the alum head is a MUCH better engine as a whole. it is nice to have a stock looking motor, but it is also nice to have some actual HPs and be able to make power over 4000 RPM. If I was to do mine again, I would not have gone iron head.
rameyusa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2021 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rameyusaSend a Private Message to rameyusaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

what about the dogbone mount? as-is, without that mount, that motor will be dancing in the engine bay

ill have to check on this but i can rehang it if not on it yet
rameyusa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2021 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rameyusaSend a Private Message to rameyusaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rameyusa

9 posts
Member since Oct 2021

ill have to check on this but i can rehang it if not on it yet

it is already in car i am not going pull it out rebuild it im just needing to wire it up as it is
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2021 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

it is already in car i am not going pull it out rebuild it im just needing to wire it up as it is

I believe that is the best idea. If you use the original harness most everything is already hooked up. You will need to hook up power, grounds, and connections to the fuel pump relay and cooling fan to start with, then bring in the Fiero harness for the gauges and all the accessories.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock