Shifter cable adjustment... by CSM842M4
Started on: 08-30-2021 10:27 PM
Replies: 3 (372 views)
Last post by: CSM842M4 on 08-31-2021 10:09 AM
CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2021 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just replaced the shift cable in our '86 2.5 5-speed. Will need a select cable soon, but for now,... Anyway, my Chilton's manual (I know) says the shifter and transmission should be in first gear to set the alignment pins and everything else. But looking at the shifter with the pins in place, it looks more like it's in third. What gives here? Later-model change to the shifter that didn't make it into the manual? Anybody else run across this? Thanks in advance - Chris
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2021 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CSM842M4:

But looking at the shifter with the pins in place, it looks more like it's in third.

Not that I'm any expert on shifter adjustment... but whether it's a 4 or 5 speed, Muncie or Isuzu, I always put it in 3rd gear for adjustment purposes.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-30-2021).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2021 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lever is also spring-loaded and when released it will move back over toward the 3rd gear position. You can do a test by starting and moving the car to see if it's in first.

I'm like Patrick. I've done adjustments in both first and third. The main thing is that the shift lever is forward and the transmission lever is back or down as the case may be. Loosen the nut at the end of the cable, be sure the transmission lever is in its detent position, then tighten the nut.

The top lever should be up and to the rear. That puts it into First Gear, the position of the shifter. You can move the top lever forward and backward to find the neutral gate. Once you do, lift up on it then push it back toward the rear bumper. It should click into position of First Gear. Insert the cable end ball stud and tighten.

Originally posted by fierofool:

The smaller of the cables is the selector cable. It operates when you move the shifter side to side. It operates the lever under spring tension. That selects the 3 gates; 1-2, 3-4, and 5-R. Each of those 3 gates has N in between them. That's the center click you feel in the other lever.

Leave the cable nearest the driver, inside the shift console attached to the shifter when you are installing the lock pin. Also leave it attached at the transmission end. Then move the other lever on the transmission downward toward the back of the car. Let it click into it's position and install the remaining cable. Sorry for the confusion. I was originally thinking of one of the other transmissions.

Isuzu cables and levers
CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2021 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Patrick and fierofool. Yep, looks like 3rd is the ticket. Chilton's got it wrong on that one (imagine that). Anyway, got pins in the shifter, cable ends set in the trans levers and nuts tightened down. All 6 gear positions hit accurately and smoothly. Woohoo! Just for the trivia value, if nothing else, the alignment pins are 5/32" OD. Thinking of machining a set on the lathe at work... Thanks again, can't do this without this kind of help. 'Til next time - Chris

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock