distributor cap screw broke off.... by mnsportsguy1966
Started on: 08-15-2021 09:06 AM
Replies: 7 (211 views)
Last post by: mnsportsguy1966 on 08-16-2021 08:20 AM
mnsportsguy1966

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2021 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mnsportsguy1966Send a Private Message to mnsportsguy1966Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I broke off one of the original distributor cap screws right at the head of the screw when I was attemping to
replace my cap and rotor, any suggestions on how to get it out? I tried to drill it but its so small I cant even
get it to stay on the screw. Thanks in advance
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2021 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may need to take the distributor out of the car.
mnsportsguy1966

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2021 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mnsportsguy1966Send a Private Message to mnsportsguy1966Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea that's what I hoping I don't have to do though....
Xenoblast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2021 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use a left handed drill bit. I had the same problem with getting bolts out but mine was for the timing cam sprocket bolts. I had to buy it online, but once i got it, it came out like magic. make sure to get one that is long so you can reach the screw.

Worst case scenerio, just drill the hole bigger then the threads and either retap it or use a nut on the bottom.

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 08-15-2021).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2021 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replace the o-ring if you do remove the distributor.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2021 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the disributor cap bolts are long enough that they protrude out the bottom of the module mounting surface. You might be able to get some vice grip pliers under there and turn the broken bolt out. Not sure you could get the right angle to do it with the distributor still in the engine though.

[This message has been edited by reinhart (edited 08-15-2021).]

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2021 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mnsportsguy1966:

I broke off one of the original distributor cap screws right at the head of the screw when I was attemping to
replace my cap and rotor, any suggestions on how to get it out? I tried to drill it but its so small I cant even
get it to stay on the screw. Thanks in advance

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong but ("right at the head of the screw") would mean there's plenty of shaft left to grab with some vise grips or something similar. Or did you mean at the end or tip of the screw where it goes through the distributor plate?

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

mnsportsguy1966

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2021 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mnsportsguy1966Send a Private Message to mnsportsguy1966Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its the top of the screw and I can grab it but cant get it to turn.. I also do see that the distributor itself could use replacing
so I think I'll just get a new one which will bring me to my next question on recommending where or who to buy a new
distributor from? Heck I see prices vary quite a lot on a distributor. Also thanks for the replies.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock