Started on: 08-03-2021 12:33 PM
Replies: 2 (318 views)
Last post by: TXGOOD on 08-05-2021 08:28 PM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2021 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I`m running a series 3 fuel rail on a 3800 swap in my 88.
I`m using a FPR with an inlet / outlet and return.
My car doesn`t have the expansion tank and the lines are all messed up anyway so I just leave the cap loose.
With my swap I just want to put an aftermarket charcoal canister connected to the vent tube of the pick-up assembly.
My question is, will the vacuum port on the LIM be enough for the MAP, the FPR and the charcoal canister?
Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2021 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No.

First off you didn't say SC or NA. I am going to cover both.

The FPR and the MAP need to see actual LIM pressure. Neither of these flow air. They are sensors. Putting one of these on a vacuum line with something that flows vacuum (the charcoal canister) means the sensors will no longer be seeing accurate vacuum/pressure. So to conclude this the FPR and the MAP need to be on a nipple that is directly in the LIM and nothing else is connected to them.

NEXT - If this is a SC application, there will be times that the pressure in the LIM is greater than atmospheric. Boost right? So yeah, that clearly isn't the right connection to send to the charcoal canister.

So the charcoal canister - A vacuum tap near the throttle body will be vacuum always. It's before the SC. So that is where we are going to start with this. BUT the 3800 isn't going to run right with a constant vacuum leak. So the engineers came up with the purge solenoid. The purge solenoid will be controlled by the PCM, and will only purge the charcoal canister when the times are right. And what times are those? When driving down the road at part throttle. Not at idle. So wire up the purge solenoid. Locate it somewhere that it doesn't look ugly. Maybe the far away side of the SC. Maybe on the tranny. Maybe at the charcoal canister. And run a vacuum hose from the throttle body to the solenoid. Then start the engine and at idle make sure the vacuum isn't leaking through the solenoid. These valves are designed with an in and an out and if you install it backwards you can get a constant flow even without the 12v to the solenoid. And then once you have that connect it to the charcoal canister. If you use the Fiero one connect to both ports. One is a control port, the other is the purge port, but both need vacuum for the canister to be in purge mode
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2021 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, that`s what I was looking for.
But all of that trouble may be for another time.
Looks like it`s time to get a vented gas cap.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock