3800sc running hot when idling by pontiacfierokid1985
Started on: 06-30-2021 01:08 AM
Replies: 19 (273 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 07-12-2021 11:50 PM
pontiacfierokid1985

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2021 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3800sc L67

Ok here is my problem I got a 3800sc 4 speed fiero. Not running the fiero T stat housing using the stock 3800 one. I just installed a new 180 t stat water pump is new also, intake gaskets have been done with 04+ series 3 intake manifold gaskets so not the plastic ones. When driving the car it runs perfectly fine right at cool temps no over heating at all. When I’m idling or in heavy traffic the temp gauge creeps pass the 220 mark. Stock fiero fan using a Derale adjustable fan switch screwed into the lower intake manifold water outlet so I know that it’s accurate. If I read the scanner I can see it getting to 220 that’s when I have the fan switch turn the fan on. It will stay on but the temps won’t come down it will just keep fluctuating. Soon as I drive off or rev the motor the temps come right down does this sound like a air pocket situation? I bled the system from the back keeping the bleeder open car jacked up til all air came out. Overflow bottle up front is half full also When warm.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2021 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull your radiator and have a shop that repairs radiators check it out. Emphasis on Radiator Shop. They see this stuff daily and can fix or replace if needed. Classical problem, Car heats up while sitting in traffic.. They probably hear this quite often.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2021 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would get a better fan with a proper shroud and set the temp the fan comes on to at a lower point.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2021 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiacfierokid1985:

I just installed a new 180 t stat... I can see it getting to 220 that’s when I have the fan switch turn the fan on.

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

...and set the temp the fan comes on to at a lower point.

Yeah, that's a no brainer for sure. Set it to perhaps 210° on 200° off... or with the relatively low temp thermostat that's been installed, 195° on 185° off.
pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2021 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

I would get a better fan with a proper shroud and set the temp the fan comes on to at a lower point.

I saw something or someone on here bought some fan that screws to the existing fiero fan shroud. It is able to pull up to 1300-1600 cfm of air through the radiator. I just don’t know the part number or the link can you possibly help out with this?
pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2021 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiacfierokid1985

818 posts
Member since Nov 2009

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yeah, that's a no brainer for sure. Set it to perhaps 210° on 200° off... or with the relatively low temp thermostat that's been installed, 195° on 185° off.

I was thinking of going with a lower pressure radiator cap too. I have a 16 pound vented cap up front on the radiator and a 18 pound non vented on the rear in line radiator fill port do you think I should change the rear one?

I’ll definitely lower the temp of the fan controller to come on at a lower temp. I totally forgot to do that anyway thanks for reminding me about it
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2021 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was thinking of going with a lower pressure radiator cap too. I have a 16 pound vented cap up front on the radiator and a 18 pound non vented on the rear in line radiator fill port do you think I should change the rear one?

I don't know anything about the rear rad cap used with a 3800sc swap... but you need a 15-16psi non-vented cap up front. Check the Cooling section (under Powertrain) at The Ogre's Fiero Cave.
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2021 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you just need to adjust when the fan comes on.
pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2021 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ignorant prodigy:

I think you just need to adjust when the fan comes on.

You maybe 100% right on this fan is coming on after it gets passed 220 degrees I’ll lower the adjuster on the controller while looking at the scanner and dial it in to come on at 200 degrees and turn off at 180. I’m also installing a non vented 16 lbs cap in the rear so I’ll have 2 of the same pressure caps hopefully this solves the problem
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2021 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have a 16 pound vented cap up front on the radiator

Okay, now you're confusing me.

I’m also installing a non vented 16 lbs cap in the rear so I’ll have 2 of the same pressure caps

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-03-2021).]

pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2021 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol not trying to do that so I have a fill port in the rear over by the stock Grand Prix thermostat housing since I didn’t feel like paying 100+ dollars for the modded fiero housing I just got a inline radiator cap and use that to fill/burp my coolant system. But I feel like since I have a 18 lbs cap I’m making to much pressure in the coolant system for some reason
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2021 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
System pressure really changes how much heat the system can store (more pressure = higher temps) - it has no effect on temperature itself. If the system is running hot only at idle, the problem is most likely the fan... not enough fan, too high a temp, etc.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2021 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiacfierokid1985, I don't think you're understanding what I've tried to point out to you by quoting your own words, so let me ask directly...

Do you have a vented or non-vented cap installed on your radiator?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-02-2021).]

mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2021 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use a SPAL fan on my car, its a 16"puller, sorry don't know the part number, but it fitted into the stock shroud with some simple brackets. and really pulls in some air.

------------------
84SE, aero body, 4 speed and an injected 355 V8

pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2021 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mafv8:

I use a SPAL fan on my car, its a 16"puller, sorry don't know the part number, but it fitted into the stock shroud with some simple brackets. and really pulls in some air.

Yea I want to do that but course idk if I type In spal fan it will come up a picture would be awesome if you have one

Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2021 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2021 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

Thats exactly what I did, looks just like that, except a used a SPAL fan, works great
pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2021 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiacfierokid1985, I don't think you're understanding what I've tried to point out to you by quoting your own words, so let me ask directly...

Do you have a vented or non-vented cap installed on your radiator?

This I don’t know how do you tell if it’s vented or not I’m about to get one of those caps that have the release tab on top maybe that will help out
pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2021 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiacfierokid1985

818 posts
Member since Nov 2009

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

http://fierosound.com/moreMODS.htm

Thank you big time for this Larry ordering this ASAP to get rid of that crap stock fiero fan. This will definitely help out big time with cooling at idle. I sit in traffic for a good 10-15 minutes before gettin over the bridge to get to work here on the cape. And all I hear is the stock fan running constantly lol surprised it hasn’t burnt out yet. But this proform fan will help out big time
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2021 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This I don’t know how do you tell if it’s vented or not I’m about to get one of those caps that have the release tab on top maybe that will help out

It's all explained at the link I supplied earlier.

...you need a 15-16psi non-vented cap up front. Check the Cooling section (under Powertrain) at The Ogre's Fiero Cave.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock