Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Looking for an engine and help swapping it in, in upstate New York

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Looking for an engine and help swapping it in, in upstate New York by phonedawgz
Started on: 06-28-2021 04:00 PM
Replies: 5 (374 views)
Last post by: La fiera on 07-04-2021 01:22 AM
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2021 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seventeen year old Zachery Hines and his grandfather were planning to bring his grandfather's 1987 Fiero GT back to running condition this summer. The engine had been swapped before, but the wrong combination balancer and engine were installed and it didn't last. The plan was to take it apart, fix what was broken and get it running again. But then life got in the way.

Covid. And in December Zachery lost his grandfather.

Zachery, who can't even drive yet, feels he needs to honor his grandfather by getting the Fiero back to running condition. But he doesn't have the funds for a replacement engine and now he no longer has the wisdom and experience of his grandfather to make this happen.

Is there someone that can help him with his goal? He is near Cobleskill, New York.

The GT has a manual transmission.

https://www.facebook.com/gr...roup_comment_mention

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 06-28-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2021 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I came from a broken family of very modest means and made out OK. In my late teens with very little money ,working in a grocery store, saved up and bought an old jalopy for $150 and some tools for $20. The car jack was my lift and some scrap wood my jackstands. Using a second hand repair manual, I learned to do all my own work as there were no resources available to pay any mechanic. The city junkyard and abandoned cars along the bay was my parts source. Most of the kids in the neighborhood did it the same way. We asked questions and compared notes.
This kid has the car and it looks like a good one. He has a decent start. Not to sound callous but the same way I did it, anyone can do it. I hope someone can give this kid an engine, and a helping hand but where there is a will there is a way. I would advise him to join this forum, ask questions and state what he needs. In the Fiero world the DIY work ethic still exists. You just need to want to do it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2021 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I came from a broken family of very modest means and made out OK. In my late teens with very little money ,working in a grocery store, saved up and bought an old jalopy for $150 and some tools for $20. The car jack was my lift and some scrap wood my jackstands. Using a second hand repair manual, I learned to do all my own work as there were no resources available to pay any mechanic. The city junkyard and abandoned cars along the bay was my parts source. Most of the kids in the neighborhood did it the same way. We asked questions and compared notes.
This kid has the car and it looks like a good one. He has a decent start. Not to sound callous but the same way I did it, anyone can do it. I hope someone can give this kid an engine, and a helping hand but where there is a will there is a way. I would advise him to join this forum, ask questions and state what he needs. In the Fiero world the DIY work ethic still exists. You just need to want to do it.

I have to agree with Dennis. Let Zack do it o its own if he really wants it. If he doesnt do anyting he was just looking for a handout.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2021 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope no one takes this the wrong way but....the kid has no mom or dad? Usually the parents step in and help out with sentimental projects especially when their own parent passes. I know my wife and I would do anything for our kids. With that said, I hope everything works out and the car is restored to good running order for him.
jdv

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2021 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The forum is a good place for like minded people to find information. The most important lesson to understand is how to learn. I was lucky enough to have a retired air force Mechanic move in next door when I was young that became my mentor. I to this day still enjoy this hobby but if I didn't have someone to show me the right way to do things might have been different. This applies to every aspect of life. I think one of the most important task in life is to help when I can be helpful.
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2021 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jdv:

The forum is a good place for like minded people to find information. The most important lesson to understand is how to learn. I was lucky enough to have a retired air force Mechanic move in next door when I was young that became my mentor. I to this day still enjoy this hobby but if I didn't have someone to show me the right way to do things might have been different. This applies to every aspect of life. I think one of the most important task in life is to help when I can be helpful.

That is awesome how someone can mentor you. But you did your part, you put the effort, time and initiative to learn.
I did the same thing. I was 14 years old and decided to show up at a local racer's shop and ask if I can learn to work on race cars. By the time I was 16 years old I was taking the engine apart and putting it back together. This was on a Datsun 240Z from a local racer back home. I got a hold of him after 37 years and expressed my gratitude torward his kindness and patiance with me. He did remember me! I owe this man all I know when it comes to assemble engines to last!
Today's kids think they deserve it all without effort. Nowadays every kid is talented in their own right, they have no concept of life and reality!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock