cant get it started again. by jdborne
Started on: 06-22-2021 01:56 PM
Replies: 8 (209 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 06-25-2021 05:31 PM
jdborne

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2021 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdborneSend a Private Message to jdborneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 se 2.8
Did the gaskets on the intake and valve covers. Now I can't get it to run. Got it running once but had a bad valve knock so i had to redo the now I cant get the thing to run. Tried to find find TDC but I cant get it to fire. I did get it to run by giving it gas but it was rough and would die. I'm thinking i need to start over maybe I did something wrong. Starting fluid makes no difference. I'm at a loss I've being doing this for three days and no luck staring to want to give up on it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2021 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Firing order

jdborne

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2021 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdborneSend a Private Message to jdborneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
6 4 2

5 3 1

Trying to find TDC Then can set up cap. but having a hell of a time finding it
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2021 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jdborne:

Trying to find TDC Then can set up cap. but having a hell of a time finding it

If your harmonic balancer hasn't spun, then the wide groove on the balancer is TDC for #1 and #4. Make sure you're on the compression stroke for #1. If your balancer has spun, then you'll need to use a plastic straw or something similar in the #1 spark plug hole to determine TDC.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2021 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

If your harmonic balancer hasn't spun, then the wide groove on the balancer is TDC for #1 and #4. Make sure you're on the compression stroke for #1. If your balancer has spun, then you'll need to use a plastic straw or something similar in the #1 spark plug hole to determine TDC.

SOme good points but just to clarify the straw method will determine if the piston is up on the compression or up for the exhaust stroke. TDC is only taken on the compression stroke. When spark plug holes were reachable we use to remove the plug put our thumb over the hole and crank the engine over with a remote starter switch. When we felt pressure building and pushing the thumb off we continued to turn the engine over until the timing mark lined up with the mark on the timing tab. Point is the only true way to find TDC with the engine fully assembled is with a compression gauge and then take Patrick's advice on the balancer. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2021 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

86 se 2.8
Did the gaskets on the intake and valve covers.

Correct me if I'm wrong but just replacing the valve cover gaskets and intake manifold gaskets would not disturb the timing. There's no need to remove the distributer or anything else that would change ignition or valve timing. With the exception of putting the ignition wires on the wrong spark plugs it should start right up.

Check your reassembly process. On the other hand if you did remove the distributor without using a reference mark than all bets are off or worse if you did that and cranked the engine with the dizzy out you can refer back to the previous posters information.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2021 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

Correct me if I'm wrong but just replacing the valve cover gaskets and intake manifold gaskets would not disturb the timing.

You must've missed the "valve knock" repair... although your guess would be as good as mine in regards to what exactly was done!

Got it running once but had a bad valve knock so i had to redo the now I cant get the thing to run.

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2021 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I did miss the valve knock. Here's a Youtube link of what others have mentioned. Just may help.

https://youtu.be/a4toMvnDg-I

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2021 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

Yes I did miss the valve knock.

And let's not forget about the fire.

redid the intake due to a vacuum leak. Didn't pay that much attention to how the injector wires were run. got it all back together and it to run but not well. had a fire from a leaking injector. pulled every thing apart chanced the o rings. put it back together it would not run. Had to find top dead center now it will start on starting fluid. disassembled again and took the harness apart looking for damage I think I have it right but I'm not sure. can anyone help. I cant figure this out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock