Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  V6 Throttle Body Differences Based on Transmission?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
V6 Throttle Body Differences Based on Transmission? by reinhart
Started on: 05-05-2021 07:08 AM
Replies: 10 (204 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 05-08-2021 01:51 PM
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2021 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was reading that there was a difference on the V6 Throttle Body based on whether someone had an automatic or manual transmission. I'm assuming it has something to do with the throttle spindle assembly. Is it a different spindle where the cables bolt up? Anyone have a picture showing the differences?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2021 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never heard of this or owned an automatic. Let us know what you find out. Curious.
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2021 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AFAIK there is no difference. You just hook up more cables.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2021 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never heard that or noticed any differences.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2021 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

AFAIK there is no difference. You just hook up more cables.

That's kind of what I thought. The standard cable bracket on a manual has an extra place for another cable to insert.

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was reading a listing on ebay from a guy that rebuilds Fiero V6 TBs and he said there were differences between the two. This is news to me, but I figured he must know if he's rebuilding them left and right.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the throttle body mounted on a manual transmission equipped V6 engine. You can see the large square hole in the bracket where the Transmission Kick Down Cable snaps into. The cable comes over the top cam wheel and attaches to the same pin as does the throttle cable which runs on the lower cam wheel.

This is the side view of the throttle body. You can see there are no additional pins for other attachments. The upper cam wheel is where the transmission cable would run, and attach to the upper pin. The same pin the throttle cable attaches to as it passes over the lower cam wheel. The lower pin is for the cruise control cable, if the car is so equipped with cruise control.

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yah idk last I checked Ebay is still the internet. TB advice from a rando on Ebay claiming to be an expert seems legit

Also checked the parts manual.. all the same for 85-88 same pn no other PN listed no other notes

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 05-07-2021).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned above, the manual equipped engines still have the hook-up on the throttle body for the TV cable. It just isn't used.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2021 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2021 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of our members drove an automatiac to the monthly meeting, today. Here's the throttle body with the TV cable routed and attached. You can see it snaps into the square opening of the bracket I previously mentioned. The cruise and throttle cables are pulling cables and are routed to the bottom to pull the throttle plate open. The TV cable is a pulled cable, so it comes to the throttle body at the top.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock