3800SC coil pack testing by longjonsilver
Started on: 04-10-2021 01:54 PM
Replies: 7 (136 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 04-11-2021 07:17 PM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2021 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 3800 SC series 2 from a 2002 GTP won't fire. i have 55 lbs of fuel pressure, my oil pressure when cranking is 275-500. There is gas on the sparkplug in cylinder #4 i am getting spark in cylinder #4. And yet she won't fire. i have checked and double checked the sparkplugs and the coil packs are in the right order. i have watched youtube and read about coil pack testing but i don't know what the values should be for the 3800. Anybody know?

thanks
jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2021 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the ignition module or the coil pack was bad it would set a code.
The first question is, did this engine swap ever start?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2021 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does it fire on starting fluid?

Assuming the tach is hooked up does the tach rise 200 rpm during cranking and fall back to zero after cranking?

Can you scan the PCM and see the RPM rise during cranking?

Do you have the fuel pump wired up via the PCM relay. Turn on the key does it run for two seconds and then shut off? Just very lightly bump the starter. Does the fuel pump again turn on for two seconds and turn off?
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2021 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Not in my car, the engine never started. i just got everything hooked up recentlyAnd when i bot the engine, the car was so rusty that the fuel line had broken, even so we tried to start it, but the alternator was frozen, so no i have never heard the engine run. When i got it to my garage the compression check was 158-170 on all six cylinders.

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Does it fire on starting fluid?
i will try that and report back.

Assuming the tach is hooked up does the tach rise 200 rpm during cranking and fall back to zero after cranking?

i can't remember seeing the tach move, i guess i have been focussed on other things. In any case it has the 4 cylinder tach board in it, i will swap in the V6 board i have that is known good....

Can you scan the PCM and see the RPM rise during cranking?

No scan tool.

Do you have the fuel pump wired up via the PCM relay. Turn on the key does it run for two seconds and then shut off? Just very lightly bump the starter. Does the fuel pump again turn on for two seconds and turn off?

i really don't know how it is wired up. Another forum member helped me with the wiring, a forum member that has done 4 3800 swaps, and numerous V8 swaps into Fieros. (i don't know if he would want me to use his name) i will listen for the fuel pump.

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2021 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1066 posts
Member since Nov 2001
Another thing, after dark last nite, i removed the wire from all six cylinders at the coil pack, one at a time, and looked for spark when i cranked. All six had spark. i had to use the reflection of the spark on the sailpanel cuz i have no one to help me, but my son is coming Monday nite for a cuppla weeks so i can try it then.

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2021 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1066 posts
Member since Nov 2001
She fires on quickstart, but doesn't respond to throttle position. So i guess that means that the electrical system is good enuf to run her. However i don't hear a pump running when i turn the key, yet i have 55 lbs in the fuel rail. Could the injectors be bad/plugged? Or electrical problems to the fuel pump? In my excitement i still have not looked at the tach.

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

my buddy says that they drove her into the yard before they decided to sell her.

jon

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 04-11-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2021 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First step. Check to see if the VATS has been disabled in the program. You will have spark but the injectors will not energize if it is still active.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2021 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:First step. Check to see if the VATS has been disabled in the program. You will have spark but the injectors will not energize if it is still active.

Well the programming was done by GM Tuners - Sinister Performance, so i assume that the VATS is disabled correctly. Thats primarily why i sent it to him.

jon

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock