Replies: 20 (458 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 03-18-2021 07:17 AM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car is losing coolant at an alarming rate. About a gallon every two months or so. Yet I can't seem to find where it's leaking coolant. I don't see puddles under the car, I don't see it dripping coolant anywhere. Everything near the waterpump is dry.

Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Santucci

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony SantucciSend a Private Message to Tony SantucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What engine?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2.8 V6
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tiny, itty-bitty head gasket leak? How does the oil look?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dark. Not milky at all. I did have to add quite a bit of oil too but I'm not sure those two are related since it has been quite a while since I had last checked the oil.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11609 posts
Member since Jan 99
I did replace the water pump last summer. But AFAICT, there are no leaks there.

The reason I replaced the water pump was because I had the same problem with having to keep adding coolant, and I probably ran the water pump dry at one point causing it to fail. So this isn't a new problem, it's one I've been having for quite some time now.
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oil and water disappearing, still sounds like a head gasket to me. Is the exhaust clear? With such a slow rate of leakage, it may not be showing up yet...
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Leaking and driving the car now or mostly parked?

Leaking w/ engine hot w/o wet on "floor" = system reach ~ 15psi and then leaking...

Hoses etc often leak under pressure and little to nothing when "cold." use rad tester to pressurize when cold can help here but not always. Plus most testers won't fit Fiero w/o taking hood off.

Internal leaks doesn't always show in oil in sump/pan.
Try this...
Pull spark plugs and keep them in order.
Look at plugs.
Does some plugs look cleaner then others? True then coolant is leaking to clean plug cylinders.

Examples:
Can be iffy intake man or casket because intake has coolant flowing to some intake runners. Common problem for L4 w/ #4 cyl and coolant port but V6 V8 and others can have same. When this happens, coolant often "burns" and never get to oil pan + "burning" coolant can kill the cat and O2 sensor.

Head gaskets can leak coolant into cyl but often leak exhaust to coolant system. When this happens, try putting Exhaust tester probe next to coolant in T-stat house or rad neck w/ cap off. Do Not dip the problem into the coolant. Exhaust gas there you hope just a "blown" head gasket. Often this causes "fake" boil over like overheat but coolant is still too cold to boil even w/o system pressure.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many miles (or kilometers!) over that 2 month span?

------------------
1965 Tempest 400 CID
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6
2017 BMW X3 3.0 T
2015 BMW 535iX M Sport
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkS:

How many miles (or kilometers!) over that 2 month span?

I think around 600 miles.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just thinking to myself the other day that Cliff P never seems to post about his car...

How is your passenger floorboard? Is it damp? Crusty? how often is someone on that side? Slow heater core leak could go undetected.

Coolant reservoir, does it hold liquid? Is the tube ok? Driving and with the temperature rising coolant expands and goes to the reservoir. Its then supposed to go back after but if some was lost in translation on the road that could go undetected

These are long shots/oddballs ive had in the past. I lean more to head gasket myself by default.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 03-07-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad radiator cap?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TM_Fiero:

Bad radiator cap?

That was my thought.
If the seal is bad (or compromised by dirt or grit) it can allow coolant to drain out through the overflow tank, and allow air to be sucked in.
I had the same problem with my car. The "grit" was leftover Cooling System tabs that someone recommended for my 4.9. The grit stopped the cap from sealing properly.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, I think you should do a compression test first off......See if there are any low cylinders which may point more strongly to a head gasket issue.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you've eliminated the possibility of a leaking heater coil, radiator, water pump and radiator hoses and pipes, try pulling your spark plugs and checking them. If the insulators around the center electrode any are very, very clean you may have a head gasket leak, especially if you are seeing a lot of water vapor in the exhaust.

oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suggest an oil analysis. It will tell you many interesting things; with one being if you have antifreeze in your oil. Even if you don't have antifreeze in your oil, you could have a bad head gasket. At this point you could try one of the many head gasket elixirs you add to your antifreeze. If this fixes your problem you can run it as is, or dive in and replace your head gaskets.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

That was my thought.
If the seal is bad (or compromised by dirt or grit) it can allow coolant to drain out through the overflow tank, and allow air to be sucked in.
I had the same problem with my car. The "grit" was leftover Cooling System tabs that someone recommended for my 4.9. The grit stopped the cap from sealing properly.

That was my thinking, also the spring on the cap could be worn and not holding the system back to proper pressure level before allowing coolant into the expansion tank.

With the amount of coolant being lost there would be clear signs of a leak in the radiator, hoses, pipes if they had issues along with puddles under the bad area. If the heater core was leaking that much inside the car there would be a wet floor and smell of antifreeze. If that much was leaking into the engine, it would either be smoking like crazy with a sweet smell coming out the exhaust or the engine oil would be overfilled and milky.

[This message has been edited by TM_Fiero (edited 03-08-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If coolant is leaking from the radiator cap seal evidence in that leak would show after a drive when you are parked. If the cap is bad you may see coolant on the ground or the overflow to the bottle would increase excessively. I would just invest in a new 16 lb cap and also do a pressure test of the cooling system. The pressure tester is a special tool but not terribly expensive.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2021 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, 1) Is your car an automatic? How old is the radiator? Is the radiator the original?

I'm guessing that it might be the radiator inlet tank. They first only leak when the car is hot. And if the car has cooled down by the time you get home, there would be no evidence of leakage. So you could have a perfectly clean parking spot.

Eventually the tank will leak more and more so that it is leaking even within a few minutes of operating.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2021 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

Cliff, 1) Is your car an automatic? How old is the radiator? Is the radiator the original?

I'm guessing that it might be the radiator inlet tank. They first only leak when the car is hot. And if the car has cooled down by the time you get home, there would be no evidence of leakage. So you could have a perfectly clean parking spot.

Eventually the tank will leak more and more so that it is leaking even within a few minutes of operating.

Now that I think about it, this is a very good possibility. My 86 2.8 did this and it was a manual. No evidence of leakage on the floor. What finally tipped me off was a brief puff of steam I saw up front when parking after a drive. Replaced the radiator, problem solved.

------------------
1965 Tempest 400 CID
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6
2017 BMW X3 3.0 T
2015 BMW 535iX M Sport
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any update Cliff?
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock